CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-16-2007, 09:30 PM   #1
mike obrien

Profile:
power clean confusion

i asked about this on goheavy.com a few months ago. at the time, i was just hearing about the idea of 'jumping' the weight up (i believe i heard mike burgener talking about it). since then, i have been going about teaching myself how to do this 'jump' thing. it's going alright, i suppose. having made some progress on the jump approach, i can now compare it to what i used to do, which was to think about it like a high pull deadlift, where i feel more like i'm pulling myself straight into the floor. they feel totally different and i have to confess that the high pull-like approach feels better and safer. the problem is, i haven't heard anyone else talk about this approach, so i'm wondering if it's a good idea, a stupid idea, or maybe just a limiting idea.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:52 PM   #2
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Re: power clean confusion

think of it as a jump with the bar followed by a high pull - you finish as tall as you can while letting the bar travel as high as it can. That's the pull part. Did you have another question regarding the power clean?
Old 12-16-2007, 10:03 PM   #3
mike obrien

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronica Carpenter View Post
think of it as a jump with the bar followed by a high pull - you finish as tall as you can while letting the bar travel as high as it can. That's the pull part. Did you have another question regarding the power clean?
well, i was wondering about jump vs. no jump at all. the method i'm trying to describe feels like a pull from the very start. it's sort of like a deadlift that keeps on going, rather than a jump. the only analogy i can think of is that it feels more like a golf swing in which the upper body rotates against the lower body rather than the type of golf swing that could be characterized as a swing on top of a weight shift, if that makes any sense.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:24 PM   #4
Derek Maffett

Profile:

I'm speaking about squat cleans really here, but I imagine it transfers to power cleans. If you aren't jumping with the bar, then you aren't getting maximum power out of your hips and legs. Also, you can't switch your stance if you don't jump.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:32 AM   #5
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Yes, you're doing a deadlift high pull. You'll be limited in the weight you can move in that way by what your arms are capable of pulling.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:01 AM   #6
mike obrien

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Oto View Post
Yes, you're doing a deadlift high pull. You'll be limited in the weight you can move in that way by what your arms are capable of pulling.
thanks. i was beginning to wonder if what i was describing might really just be a different exercise, altogether. so, what are the merits of a deadlift high-pull in comparison to a power clean?
Old 12-17-2007, 08:13 AM   #7
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike obrien View Post
thanks. i was beginning to wonder if what i was describing might really just be a different exercise, altogether. so, what are the merits of a deadlift high-pull in comparison to a power clean?
Convert the Power Clean to full clean, add in the Jerk, and you have one very solid exercise.
Dead lift hight Pull or Sumo DLHP get called every so often in a WOD, other then that, not much use for them vs, OHS, Push Press, All Squats.

Just my two cents.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:53 AM   #8
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Quote:
You'll be able to pull more weight with a power clean (and certainly with a squat clean) once you get the form down. That's why the clean is a competition lift. It also trains speed and flexibility and some other things in a way you can't get otherwise. And it sets up the jerk, of course.

High pulls are a nice metcon blaster with lower weights, though... you can cycle through them faster and they're a good rowing sub... and if you do them properly (with a full triple extension before the arms pull), they can be used as a kind of clean without the catch, with all the same benefits of power. And I guess they're easier for a novice to learn.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:04 PM   #9
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

Quote:
The deadlift high pull ends at the pull. A power clean is cleaned and racked. You're talking about 2 entirely different movements.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:07 PM   #10
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Oto View Post
You'll be able to pull more weight with a power clean (and certainly with a squat clean) once you get the form down. That's why the clean is a competition lift. It also trains speed and flexibility and some other things in a way you can't get otherwise. And it sets up the jerk, of course.

High pulls are a nice metcon blaster with lower weights, though... you can cycle through them faster and they're a good rowing sub... and if you do them properly (with a full triple extension before the arms pull), they can be used as a kind of clean without the catch, with all the same benefits of power. And I guess they're easier for a novice to learn.
If we're talking clean high pulls, you should actually be able to pull more than you can clean.