CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-26-2004, 12:36 AM   #1
erik blas

Profile:  
Hello everyone. I'm not in the millitary nor part of any law enforcement, just your average computer geek :-) . I'm 22 and grossly overweight at 270 lbs. Was not always the case a while ago while I was a TKD junky, but alas a 13 hour shift job doing tech support (13 hours of sitting down listenning to people yell) kind of kills a person bit by bit. So now here I am barely able to get up a flight of steps without breathing a little hard.

Being thoroughly disgusted with myself, and a free membership to Baley's until April, I want to change all that. I've read the pdf file, and found some of it hard to understand, mainly what is meant as an endoecrine(sp?) response. I want to get back into heavy martial arts training and sparring like I used to be, and basically get in the best shape I can be for my wife ;) .

Sorry for the long winded introduction.
Old 02-26-2004, 01:09 AM   #2
erik blas

Profile:  
also need help deciphering this:

Back squats
5-3-3-2-2-2-1-1-1-1 reps

i know the work out from the comments, but i have no idea how to interpret reps/sets...thingy :D . sorry for my ignorance and thanks a ton for help.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:19 AM   #3
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Hi Erik,

Welcome to Crossfit.

I can't do a better job explaining the neuroendocrine result than what's done in the Crossfit Foundations document. With regards to back squats, however, you'll do the following:

5 reps of back squat,
Rest as needed,
3 reps of back squat,
Rest as needed,
3 reps,
Rest as needed,
2 reps, etc.

Generally, when this rep scheme is used, most people will attempt to (slightly) increase the weight used for each set, possibly going for PRs on the single repetition sets. If you're just starting back up again, however, focussing on form is probably the more prudent option.

Hope this helps and good luck,

Ryan

BTW - the coffee cup holder on my computer is broken. It keeps retracting with my cup still in it. Any suggestions?:happy:

Old 02-26-2004, 10:36 AM   #4
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
Erik,
Welcome aboard! Follow the crossfit dietary guidelines/advice and exercise routines and you'll be back in shape sooner than later. There are a few crossfit journal back issues that address dietary ideas. Be patient, and have fun in the process!
Brad
Old 02-26-2004, 12:16 PM   #5
GFL

Profile:  
Hey eric, looks like you and I are in the same boat. I'm 21, a computer geek, and new to crossfit. You should read the trial issue called "What is fitness?", thats what got me hooked. Its pretty interesting even at an intellectual level.

You'll probably be having the same problems I am. This site is about elite fitness, I can't even approach doing most of these workouts. But I'm basically trying to learn how to do the workouts on the WOD as they come up. Like the other day I did my first hang clean (I didn't even try squating it too), the exercise actually felt pretty good (until the day after :-). Hopefully you'll have some personal trainers at the gym you can go to who can give you advise on how to do these exercises. No trainers at my gym, so I'm relying on this website :-)

Another example, yesterday I was trying to do jump rope (for the first time since Kindergarden :-) and I couldn't do five of them without getting tangled with the rope. So I bought my own jump rope (I was using one of the ones in the gym) and I'm going to begin practicing regularly as I learn these exercises :-)

If you read the PDF for the trial issue of CrossFit Journal (its easier just to print it out and read it), they have a pyramid. At the bottom is nutrition, above that metabolic conditioning (cardiovascular exercise, but crossfit doesn't like that term), above that gymnastics, above that weightlifting & throwing, and then at the peak of the pyramid is sports. They say that each level in the pyramid depends on the layer below it. So thats kind of the order I'm going in. I bought the Enter the Zone book (Crossfit and I recommend it) and have been concentrating on getting my diet straight (I've already lost a good ten pounds). Then I've been running too, there's this thing in the trial issue about the three different metabolic pathways and how you need to train each one. I don't really understand that yet, but I have this trail nearby that runs along a cliff over the river with plenty of hills and dips, and I've been using that. The gymnastics so far have been terriple, I've been concentrating on doing pullups. When I started, I couldn't even do one pullup, and after working at it (basically, jumping up to the bar and going slowly down) I can now do about two half pullups before I have to jump down. Also been working on my dips.

I think its kind of interesting, though, that most of the advice people give for people who want to become more fit is diet + cardio exercise. Thats only working on the bottom two layers of the pyramid. So according to crossfit, there are three higher layers of fitness that most people know nothing about.

The way I understand neuroendocrine adaptation, its kind of like taking steroids only your body produces its own steroids (only without the bad side effects) if you train the right way. So it changes your body chemistry that eventually changes your body composition to make you a much fitter person.

Sorry for the long rambling post, I just thought it might help for you to know what someone else who is starting is doing. But if anyone corrects me, take their advice. I'm still learning the ropes :-)
Old 02-26-2004, 02:29 PM   #6
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
GFL... great post, well said!
Brad
Old 02-26-2004, 02:33 PM   #7
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
GFL,

Already at your 4th post, and you're much closer to the truth than what you can imagine!

It all may seem blurry to you now, but I can tell you get it.
Your energy and dedication to change something about yourself are evident and that is what will carry you through!

Eric, GFL, go full steam and don't look back! I know how uphill it may seem at times, but you're gonna be loving each day more and more!
Old 02-27-2004, 06:59 AM   #8
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Wow, good job GFL. I came to CF last year, with a masters in exercise physiology and 25 years experience in gymnastics, rockclimbing martial arts, weightlifting and running. . .the workouts still crush me! As GFL stated nutrition is 90% of how much fat you will lose, get the Zone books (I like the Omega RX zone) and follow the plan. modify the WOD so you could finish it. RESEARCH. Read all of the archived posts. Watch all of the exercise video clips. be obsessive about form, and have fun. neuro endorcine = efficient nervous system, release alot of good hormones: HGH, etc. also watch the long distance runs (no overtraining or injuries to lower body please!) Think short but intense workouts. Good luck.
Old 02-28-2004, 04:47 PM   #9
erik blas

Profile:  
I can't thank you guys enough for the great responses. I'm more than a bit emberrassed(sp?) I didn't search thoroughly through the archived threads, it's usually my habbit before posting but I was a bit excited after reading through the pdf file. You're right GFL about the pdf, it is a great read and found it fascinating even without looking for a way to get back in shape (I'm actually rereading it to match it against some other info I found to understand it a bit better).

I started with the back squats WOD, and besides having trouble walking up stairs for 2 days afterwords ><, i was loving the feeling. You definately feel the difference, not just because of the intensity, after doing a work out like that after being used to the regular 20 min. cardio, 30 minute resistance training. Thanks again for the great info and now I go back to haunting the archives :-) .
Old 02-28-2004, 07:13 PM   #10
Vincent Wood

Profile:  
A question about soreness: Why do I experience more soreness the SECOND day after heavy exercise instead of the immediate day after???:uhoh: