CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 08-18-2005, 12:48 PM   #1
Anthony Bravato

Profile:  
Hey everyone. I am new to crossfit and excited to start! I have conventionally thought of myself as being in good shape, but the ladies have proven me very wrong! I am mimicking the workouts to the best of my ability, but I know progress will come.

My main question has to do with activity integration. I am coming over from The SEAL Quest board and am pursuing endurance goals as well (swimming and running).

When I do my running and swimming workouts, should I do those on the same days I have my CF workouts? How should I alter a zone type diet? Should I just eat more? I want to keep gaining strength and maintain my mass, so any tips would be helpful. (I am about 195 and 7-8%BF now)

I know this is pretty commonly asked stuff, but there is a lot of other topics to sift through when I do a search. Let me know the best way to go about this and/ or other threads that have covered this subject. Thanks!

Anthony
Old 08-20-2005, 04:34 AM   #2
Jeremy Bloniasz

Profile:
Anthony I've been doing Crossfit steadily now for 2 months and just recently started adding extra work usually as my second work out. I'll do the WOD early in the day and do a second workout later. Something like sprints or Rutmans Mile. I need to get in a pool too. I don't do this everyday, maybe 3 days out of the week. But I'm no PT monster either. I just got to a point where my body can handle the load and I'm running with it. As for the Zone I just added one more block and I'll see how it works for me, if it's not enough I'll add another, if it's too much I'll go back. Hope this helps.

Jeremy
Old 08-22-2005, 07:55 AM   #3
Anthony Bravato

Profile:  
Thanks Jeremy, I was thinking along those lines. I dont think it will be an issue as far as the volume of PT goes, but I will use the CF 'rest' days as total rest days, ie no other running or swimming on those days. Thanks again!

Anthony
Old 08-23-2005, 12:22 PM   #4
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Anthony - I have been doing various multi-sport races for the last 12 years or so from sprint to Ironman to 2-day races like Sea2Summit. I have found a great return for my CrossFit training investment for races up to Olympic distance but for half Ironman races (Wildflower, Pacific Crest) I have found that you need to put in your long miles to perform well. There is a certainly a cross-over effect in your endurance capacity from high intensity work, but don't expect to do lung searing, high intensity work that lasts for 10 to 30 minutes and expect to perform optimally in a 2 day long race...or an Ironman...or a half Ironman for that matter.

As to workout construction I have had good luck with a MWF CF workout (sometimes twice in a day with two different workout groups) swimming on Tuesday and Thursday morning at 0500 and then biking and/or running in the afternoon, a long run, bike or paddle on Saturday morning and a rest day on Sunday. Every 4th week I take a BOW or back off week and half the training load and then hammer again the following Monday.

No injuries, never sick and I feel great.

eug
Old 08-24-2005, 09:48 AM   #5
Anthony Bravato

Profile:  
Wow, thats quite a schedule. Do you use the WOD for your CF workouts or just pick and choose? I will give your schedule a try. I think the most genius part of it all is your BOW planning, allows for your body to catch its breath. Thanks for your input!

Anthony
Old 08-24-2005, 06:04 PM   #6
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Because of my every other day scheduling I get out of whack with the WOD and follow the same programming but not necessairly the same workouts. This morning Brian and I did an extensive D-Ball workout with a variety of variations on a theme. We did Yellow Rain where we cycled through three balls weighing 15, 25 and 35 pounds throwing them backwards and overhead and trying to minimize the time any of them spent on the ground. We tossed the 15 pounder back and forth one handed and we did a cool 2-man slam ball drill where one guy slams the 25 pounder as hard as he can so that the 2nd guy can catch it on the first bounce and pitch it underhand so the first guy can catch it and slam it again. We played wall ball catch off the trampoline on the wall and we pitched the 12 pounder back and forth over the 11 foot high bar that holds up the cargo net. We threw the balls as high as we could as fast as we could each in turn with three two hand chest press tosses then three under hand tosses and then three over head backward tosses. We used the 35 pounder and threw it as hard as we could for altitude and then as fast as we could for slams. After that we set out a pair of 44 lb kettlebells, a 52 pound bell, a 62 pound bell and a 70 pound bell. We did 8 two hand clean and jerks, then 5 snatches each hand with the 52 pounder, 5 clean and jerks with each hand with the 62 pounder and then 10 two hand swings with the 70 pounder. We went through twice without stopping and it was quite a smoker. I have a 19 year old gal preparing for her Navy (she wants to beat all the guys) and a 31 year old preparing for SF selection and they will both be here this afternoon. Our workout will have quite a bit of running in it but not sure exactly what we will do yet.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:57 AM   #7
Hollis Petri

Profile:
Eugene, when you say you do the same programming but not the same workouts do you mean you do something like the template shown below but just do it Mon - Wed - Fri vs 3 on/1 off? Plus do you stick away from leg intensive wods as they get worked so much in your endurance work outs? I ask because I want to get some runner family members of mine on a m-w-f CF t-th-sat run schedule.
Thankshttp://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/20/13334.jpg
Old 08-25-2005, 02:21 PM   #8
David Wood

Profile:

"Yellow Rain" . . . . :lol:
Old 08-25-2005, 08:00 PM   #9
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Yes and no. Yes to the scheduling matrix and no to any adjustment to leg heavy workouts. Since I workout at 0500 I have plenty of rest time between workouts and swimming after a leg heavy WOD doesn't bother me. I tend to make adjustments somewhat by feel and if I'm smoked I do a little less biking or running, I don't tend to back off the CF stuff at all.

Saturday should be a long run day with a distance dependant upon the tolerance and running goals of the runner. Let's call them 10k runners, their long run day should be around 10 miles or so at an aerobic pace. Track day on Tuesday for intervals and on Thursday an easy run, fartlek or Pose running drills.