CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-01-2013, 02:47 PM   #1
Jim O'Brien

Profile:
Base conditioning

I hope all of this comes across OK. I am going to lay out a bunch of info and it may get jumbled up so I hope you all can make sense of it......

I am training for Rugby. Last season I realized just how bad my conditioning sucks! I am 41 now but aside from a few aches and pains here and there at times I feel like I am in my 20s. Growing up I was always the little guy. I wrestled in the 130 weight class my senior year. I started lifting weights to get bigger and now I weigh about 195-205 depending on how much I eat. I feel like I have the strength to compete in Rugby but as far as my conditioning goes I feel like I am carrying around all the extra weight. I don't want to lose much if any weight but I NEED to get in better shape.

One of the coaches said I need to build up a base level of conditioning by working up to running around 3 miles over time. He suggested the couch to 5k program where you start out with running for a minute and walking for 90 sec and over time you build up the running time and decrease the walking until you can run a 5k.

I guess my question to everyone is if I were to do crossfit football, would that get me in shape AND help me keep my size. I would define getting in shape here as being able to run around a Rugby field for 80 minutes. Or do you agree that I need to do a running program to build my "base level of fitness"? Or a combination? If a combination is the best option how would you set it up?

Thanks for suffering through all of the reading and any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:20 PM   #2
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:
Re: Base conditioning

crossfitfootball is a great program, but football is much more start and stop than rugby. in football you explode for 3 to 10 seconds and then rest for 20 to 30 seconds, often longer. plus you get long extended rests when defense and offense switch out. if you want to be in rugby shape then add in extra running. i don't think i would recommend couch to 5K, but some sprint work with less rest, some 400 or 800 intervals, some sideline to sideline work, etc would all be good. also be sure to add in some agility stuff like dots or cones. considering the nature of rugby sled work would also be great.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:27 PM   #3
Jim O'Brien

Profile:

So if I were to just do CFFB would that be enough? It has some WODs that involve 400s but I don't know how often. Or do you advise adding in some EXTRA running?
Old 07-01-2013, 03:27 PM   #4
Paulo Santos

Profile:

You will need a little more conditioning. Maybe throw in a long slow day on one of your off days. Just make sure it isn't before a leg day.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:36 PM   #5
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim O'Brien View Post
So if I were to just do CFFB would that be enough? It has some WODs that involve 400s but I don't know how often. Or do you advise adding in some EXTRA running?
i would, and i did in my first post, advise extra. if it gets to be too much volume then you might have to drop some of the DWODs.

train for what you want to do.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:53 PM   #6
Jim O'Brien

Profile:

Yes you did, Andrew. I read through it too quickly. I focussed to much on the 400 and 800 runs and was thinking that, maybe you were just suggesting that those would be enough. Sorry for the mix up.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:14 PM   #7
Sean Seale

Profile:

Hey Jim!! How often do you practice Rugby, and how much do you run on the side?

As far as conditioning goes, I've always felt best when we did some intervals (10/10, 20/20, 30/30).. The only problem with running intervals is that it is very demanding on your joints, especially if you're already running 3-4 times a week.

Have you thought of doing intervals on a rower or an airdyne? Twice a week, change up effort/rest ratios gradually and increase total effort volume over time and you'll feel the benefits after a few weeks already.

Thoughts on this people?
Old 07-01-2013, 05:29 PM   #8
Jim O'Brien

Profile:

We are in the off season now. Fall practice starts at the end of this month so I am about three weeks out from practice. Once that starts we will practice on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. Once the games start it will be the same except games on Saturday.

During the season I don't run much if at all besides practice. I lift twice a week in addition to practice and games. I am a forward so I need strength too but I have neglected my conditioning which is why I am drawn to CFFB. I am hopingg to keep my strength...at least to some degree. And size too.

I am ignorant as to interval training. Could you explain that a bit more? How can I fit that in to the CFFB program or should I?

Thanks
Old 07-01-2013, 09:27 PM   #9
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

3 weeks. Not a lot of time but some time.

Sprint/run intervals would be something like run 200, walk the distance, run 400, walk it, run 800, walk it, repeat or do pyramids with it.

Something similar could be down with a rower or cycle but running would have the most carryover to Rugby. I prefer doing it on a track but I hate running on asphalt.

This is more like CFE which sometimes pairs with CFFB. Or Strength work+ interval work. I was able to do something like this when I was 17 but TBH, it would probably be hard on me these days. Not 5 days a week. I probably wouldn't do it more than twice a week these days and maybe tack on some LSD once a week if anything (or long rower/cycle work).

So to cap, maybe CFFB strength program + sub out some of the CFFB metcons for interval work. I just don't see both being done at our age, especially if you are practicing as well 3x/week. Maybe strength work and do the metcons/intervals on non practicing days.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:35 AM   #10
Steven Wingo

Profile:

My suggestion is that, for running training, you mimic a rugby game as much as possible. I don't know enough about Rugby, but my impression is that it is somewhat like soccer/european football--you have times of sprinting, then running slower, then sprinting, and so on. What I would do is go out and alternate running at different paces. Sprint to a phone pole, walk to the next, then sprint, then walk. Another thing you can do is a type of run called fartlek by runners. It is a Scandinavian term and essentially refers to variable paces intervals without a structure. You run fast, then faster, then slow, then moderately fast, just mix in up in terms of time and speed.

I question the "slow running" advice. Quality research shows that is not the best bang for your buck in terms of time training. If you are a runner, slow running--or "base training"--is an important part of your training. But if you are training for something else, and and want get the most benefit from limited training time, then make your running high intensity. If you are talking a distance of just 5k a few times a week, that is not a lot of volume and most people could handle it well. (The runners who do lots of slow running may be running 50 or even 100 or more miles a week and cannot do all their training at high intensity--but 5ks a few days a week you can).