CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-11-2012, 03:47 PM   #1
Jake Breakey

Profile:
Why can't i get stonger!

I have been doing crossfit for 3 years now and i have not seen huge gains in my lifts. I almost feel like i have been stuck for the past year. I just started Rudy Neilsons programming and am hoping that will make something happen.

Im 5'11, 170
Deadlift - 325
Back squat 270
Press - 145

I want to try to compete but strength is really holding me back
Old 06-11-2012, 03:58 PM   #2
Matt Sloan

Profile:
Re: Why can't i get stonger!

Eat more meat! your kinda light for 5'11 I'd eat more and try to add a little bit to your bar every week. even if is just a few pounds. You could also be over training
Old 06-11-2012, 04:12 PM   #3
Aaron C Bennett

Profile:

You might try Crossfit Football or just focus on your strength for 3 months doing a pure strength program and cutting back on the CrossFit workouts. Test yourself after 3 months of doing a strength program and see if you aren't better at the standard Crossfit benchmarks.
I like Bill Starr's off-season 5x5 program because it's a strength based program with an eye towards how it will translate to your athletic performance once the season starts. Pick up a copy of The Strongest Shall Survive for all of the gritty details. In addition to lifting heavy, you might try drinking a gallon of milk a day in addition to your normal eating. 170 seems light to me for an adult male of your height. Adding more beef to your frame will help your lifts go up.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:42 PM   #4
Mike Jenkins

Profile:

Try cutting back your met con a bit, focus on heavy compound movements. What does your current program and diet look like?
Old 06-11-2012, 04:50 PM   #5
Joey Shishineh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jenkins View Post
Try cutting back your met con a bit, focus on heavy compound movements. What does your current program and diet look like?
What kind of consistency are you working out?

I recommend the Wendler 5/3/1 program with DL, BS, and SP.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:50 PM   #6
Jake Breakey

Profile:

Right now i am following http://outlawcoach.wordpress.com/ and it is "off-season" now so I think strength building will be the focus but i may add in some extra strength work. And for nutrition I am going to try to do paleo but will probably keep dairy and peanut butter in. It is hard for me to get enough food while I am at home but at school it's not a problem
Old 06-11-2012, 04:52 PM   #7
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

You should get plenty strong on Outlaw programming, and I'd highly recommend that you not add extra stuff to it unless you want to get injured or overtrained in a hurry. If Outlaw isn't what you're looking for then do a pure strength program like 5/3/1 or GSLP for awhile, but mixing and matching programs rarely works out well.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:00 PM   #8
Evan Peikon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Breakey View Post
Right now i am following http://outlawcoach.wordpress.com/ and it is "off-season" now so I think strength building will be the focus but i may add in some extra strength work. And for nutrition I am going to try to do paleo but will probably keep dairy and peanut butter in. It is hard for me to get enough food while I am at home but at school it's not a problem
deffinetly don't add in strength work... did you even see todays workout it was more than enough. If you didn't realize the BB Gymnastics is also strength work too.

BB Gymnastics
A. Snatch off blocks 7x2

B1. Snatch High Pull 4x3
B2. Drop Snatch 4x3

Strength
A1. Weighted GHR 4x8
A2. BB Turkish Getup 4x3

Conditioning
5 Muscle Up
100m Row
4 MU
200m Row
3 MU
300m ROw
2 MU
400m Row
1 MU
500m Row
Old 06-11-2012, 05:15 PM   #9
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Outlaw has a great reputation and the programming looks pretty solid, but it also looks like you have to have a good strength base and work capacity to do all the work required.

Looking at your strength numbers, they aren't terrible but they aren't advanced either, so how are you scaling the Outlaw program to your current level? If you are doing too much or too little, it may slow progress.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:22 PM   #10
Jake Breakey

Profile:

Ya i know what the workout is. On a day like that i wouldn't add anything extra. And if i do add anything, it would just be some front squats most likely, or a 1x20 back squat. And scaling the workouts, i don't scale reps, just weights when i have too