CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 03-04-2012, 08:43 PM   #1
Ken Higgins

Profile:
Quality Olympic Spring Collars

Quick question, does anyone know a company that makes a quality Olympic spring collar? I recently picked up a pair from Dick's Sporting Goods. Such horrible quality. They were made out of cheap metal and had very little tension, at least not enough to be used with bumper plates. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks!
Old 03-04-2012, 08:51 PM   #2
Nalin Prabhu

Profile:
Re: Quality Olympic Spring Collars

www.roguefitness.com

I'm sure there are several others, but they^^ stand behind what they sell 100%
Old 03-04-2012, 09:51 PM   #3
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Higgins View Post
Quick question, does anyone know a company that makes a quality Olympic spring collar? I recently picked up a pair from Dick's Sporting Goods. Such horrible quality. They were made out of cheap metal and had very little tension, at least not enough to be used with bumper plates. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks!
I was using a pair I picked up from Fitness Depot for awhile, until I came across the $50 that was needed to splurge on Rogue HG's. Never used a better collar

Obviously you might be limited by price, but if you can afford it, I would highly suggest the HG's.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:56 PM   #4
Tom Taylor

Profile:

As far as spring collars it depends partially on what caliber and brand of bar you have. The York spring collars have the most consistant fit. I would consider a higher quality collar depending on what type of lifting you are doing. Compression collars are a great option but can vary widely in price. The Muscle Clamp is a good general purpose collar, next are the Lock Jaw collars which are great quality for the price. From there you can move up to competition grade collars costing $200 plus. It doesn't make sense to put $230 collars on a $100 bar.
Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

Tom
Old 03-05-2012, 03:40 PM   #5
Brian Liang

Profile:

Hampton has the best spring collars I have seen. They are a bit pricey, as I purchased my for $15 for a single collar. But their springs and plastic handles are a bit more ticker and durable than most others.

Im not sure where you can still get them. But the spring collars I am talking about have the word hampton impressed into the handles.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:23 PM   #6
Ben Norris

Profile:

Rogue HG collars are where its at. Do a WOD like Elizabeth or Isabel with them and you will wonder how you WODDED without them
Old 03-05-2012, 05:36 PM   #7
Ken Higgins

Profile:

Thanks for all the great info. I have a pair of Lock Jaw collars, but wanted a pair of spring clamps for my wife's aluminum bar. I am kind of new to Crossfit, so I'm still trying to figure you where to get the best equipment at the best prices. Lesson learned... don't buy anything form Dick's of Sports Authority. Anyway, I have come to find that Rogue has the best stuff, yet it's very pricy, but I guess you get what you pay for. So far I have purchased the following equipment, mainly from Christians Fitness Factory (online). Any thoughts on my purchases???

CAP 45lb 7' Olympic Bar - 1200 pound capacity
York 15lb 6' Aluminum Olympic Bar
Wright Bumper Plates - 25lb - I like these, priced well
Body Solid (I think made by Wright) 10lb Bumper Plates - I am not happy with these, too flimsy, and tend to bend under the weight of a 45lb bar.
Lock Jaw Collars - work great, very happy with these.
Made a 18" Plyo Box with slanted sides out of 3/4" A/C Plywood (I'm a carpenter, this was easy, saved me a couple bucks) Still looking for a piece of rubber matting to glue to the top.

Thanks again for all the great info, seems like this message board is legit and filled with helpful members.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:52 PM   #8
David Kiesling

Profile:

Just a note on the 10lb bumpers. I believe any 10lb bumpers will bend when loaded by themselves, and it doesn't take much to break them. They're meant to be used along with heavier bumpers only.