CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-18-2013, 08:50 AM   #151
John Dobson

Profile:
Re: Clydesdale Men: Represent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Cookson View Post
How much are you holding onto the bar with your hands? In the front rack I've only got the first 2-3 finger tips from each hand on the bar.
Thanks for the response, have been seeking help elsewhere as well.

I used to use a full grip originally. I started to use just two fingers about a month ago and moved my elbows further apart. Wrist flexibility seems to be an issue, can't bend my wrists back far enough to hold the bar comfortably, which results in my awkward rack position. It is a work in progress... especially with big weights.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:56 AM   #152
John Dobson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Cookson View Post
My first post to the Clydesdale thread...

I've been working out at my local box now since Jan of '12. When I started I was 258#, using the thick, purple band to do pullups and I DNF'ed my first WOD because my vision tunneled out due to how out of shape I was. But... I had a 330# deadlift and a 350# back squat.

I've slowly worked my way from 2x/wk to 3-1-2-1 now and I pulled off my first Rx'ed Fran yesterday in 10:20 @ 235#. I had to do the pullups in sets, but that's a long way from needing the purple band for 1...
When I started just over two years ago, I was in about the same. Needed the biggest band in the gym to do any pull-ups. Now, did my first dead hangs this week and PR for Fran is a shade over 4 minutes at 265.

So much of fitness is just mental. You have to stick with it and realize that the only competition that matters is yourself. Be better than you were last time. And if you didn't do better, work harder so that the next go round you will be.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:00 AM   #153
John Dobson

Profile:

Worked in a new clydesdale special exercise: the double firehose run.

Longer runs are hell on my knees and shins, so I often sub-in resistance runs and shorten the length (put on the vest or carry a weight).

Latest one is to throw a firehose over each shoulder and drag them behind you. I guarantee you will be huffing and puffing after 400 meters.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:57 AM   #154
Dean Cookson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dobson View Post
Thanks for the response, have been seeking help elsewhere as well.

I used to use a full grip originally. I started to use just two fingers about a month ago and moved my elbows further apart. Wrist flexibility seems to be an issue, can't bend my wrists back far enough to hold the bar comfortably, which results in my awkward rack position. It is a work in progress... especially with big weights.
Yes the problem gets bigger with big weights. I still find I get some soreness in the tendon of my right index finger with heavy front squats because I'm supporting the weight too much with my hands and not enough with my shoulders.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:00 AM   #155
Dean Cookson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dobson View Post
So much of fitness is just mental. You have to stick with it and realize that the only competition that matters is yourself. Be better than you were last time. And if you didn't do better, work harder so that the next go round you will be.
Agreed. In the last few weeks I've jumped from 2-3x/wk to 3-1-2-1 and I've found it's easier to "embrace the suck" during a WOD with more frequent trips to the box. It somehow makes it more okay to take the pain of really pushing.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:25 AM   #156
Bryan Spillman

Profile:

I was having a huge issue trying to ride the line between ample calorie intake for performance and weight loss.

I have since learned that if I am around 2000 calories, my wod's\training suck. I often die out early in the wod and can barely finish.
*our 1 hour class*
consists of 10 minute warmup (approx)
20-30 minute of strength\skill combo
wod time

Now that I have increased my calorie intake to around 3000 I have felt a ton better, however the weight isn't coming off as fast. Good things have been said lately though. People say I look like I am getting leaner again!

How many calories per day are my other Clydesdales' getting?
Old 07-18-2013, 06:38 AM   #157
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Big Boy #16 checking in here, ran 6 miles last night, at 247lbs...... in 85+ degreee weather, where the humidity was around 4,735% here in Houston.

Total suckage.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:12 PM   #158
Bryan Spillman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
Big Boy #16 checking in here, ran 6 miles last night, at 247lbs...... in 85+ degreee weather, where the humidity was around 4,735% here in Houston.

Total suckage.
Ha! I've been trying to run more this last week or so... It's been brutal here in Ohio too.

Did me a Strict Pull Up Cindy.... omg. I need to lose 20+ lbs.
Rounds: 12 + 25
wsf: http://www.bigslowwhiteguy.com/?p=2598
Old 07-24-2013, 10:49 AM   #159
Glenn Baggett

Profile:

I wish I had seen this one earlier, I'm around 235lbs and a definite Clydesdale.

I got the strength and I am surprised by the conditioning I am getting to at this weight. I may be able to be decent at this sport around 225lbs. I want to be a monster in the masters division!