CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-17-2013, 04:51 AM   #1
Paul Ryan

Profile:
Intervals for 1.5 miles

I no longer have access to a gym so doing WODs is impossible. All I have access to is my body and a park for pull ups and dips. I'm training for a 1.5 mile PFT. I know there are tons of threads on this but they all assume it's possible to do WODs.

All I can really do so are running intervals. I'm wondering how to structure these.
Something like 4 or 5 runs a week, 2 hill sprints, 1 400m repeats, 1 800m repeats, and then something longer like 3-4 miles? Or is the 3-4 miles unnecessary?

I can of course do bodyweight WODs too, so should I be doing box jumps and squats too?
Old 07-17-2013, 05:26 AM   #2
Paulo Santos

Profile:
Re: Intervals for 1.5 miles

You should hit all 3 levels. Do some intervals on Mondays, 1-2 mile pace runs on Wednesdays, and a 30-60 minute long slow run on Friday. You can also go the body weight MetCons before your runs.

You can change up the schedule, but give yourself some days in between for recovery.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:36 AM   #3
Josh Fiebig

Profile:

If the run is the only test you have to improve upon, then you will make the best progress by dedicating 3 days per week to running. You should probably try to post a sub 10 min time for the mile-and-a-half. Aiming for 9 min would probably give you top marks. If that's your desire, I would recommend a schedule similar to the following:

Week 1
Day 1 - 4-8x400m (goal time = 1:20-1:25 each. Stop when you can't maintain that.)

Day 2 - 3-5x800m (goal time = 2:45-2:50 each.)

Day 3 - 5k, more of a "tempo run" according to CFE. Then foam roll and stretch well.

Week 2
Day 1 - 6-12x200m (goal time = 30-35 sec each.)

Day 2 - 2-4x1 mile (goal time = 5:50-6:00 each)

Day 3 - same as last week

Repeat this until you are ready to take the test. Maybe run a pretest to see how close you are and how you've progressed. I am a horrible runner, but as a SAR tech, I did similarly to pass the Canadian Forces test, and I try to run a triathlon every year to occasionally test my distance.

I run a website directed towards rescue workers and outdoors people. Plus, I do personal fitness consulting. There are several people i have helped pass various PFT exams. If you would like any advice, check out wildernessathletics.com
Old 07-17-2013, 05:45 AM   #4
Paul Ryan

Profile:

Thanks guys. How much rest should be between intervals ?
Old 07-17-2013, 11:06 AM   #5
Steven Wingo

Profile:

I like the plan Josh recommended. You've got a tempo day (5k), a speedwork/efficiency day (200s and 400s), and what I'd call a VO2 Max interval day (the 800s and mile).

In terms of rest, on the speedwork days look at what I will call "full rest"--but that just means get your heart rate down below 120 where you can breathe and talk at the same time--then go again. This day is more about leg speed and improving efficiency in your running than it is about your heart rate. You will be surprised at how much this type of training can help you in your efforts to run a fast 1 mile to 10,000m time.

On the 800s and mile repeats, rest about 1/2 the amount of time of the work interval. The idea of that type of interval training is to keep your heart rate up. So recover some, so that you are able to maintain intensity for the next interval, but it shouldn't be full rest. The idea is to start intervals 2, 3, 4 etc. with a high enough heart rate so that you are quickly in "the red zone" on that interval--maintaining as much work time as possible in that zone.

With the tempo run, the 5k, of course no rest make it a steady effort.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:01 PM   #6
Paul Ryan

Profile:

Thanks for that! I've got a potentially stupid question now. Just what is a tempo run? Does it mean do 5k at an easy pace? 5k best effort? Or 5k at a pace that's uncomfortable but I can hold for longer?
Old 07-17-2013, 03:04 PM   #7
Josh Fiebig

Profile:

There are different viewpoints on the 5k tempo. Traditional endurance runners would make their weekend run slow, but it would be a whole lot longer than 5k. CrossFit would most often say to run with ultimate intensity. However, CFE places value upon Tempo runs which are a steady effort, but should be maintainable for the entire distance. This will aid recovery, so do a distance that is comfortable, but will not interfere with the workouts next week.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:58 PM   #8
Steven Wingo

Profile:

Paul a "tempo" run is runner's lingo. It is also called a "threshold run"--meaning right near lactate threshold. That may not mean anything to you. So as a gauge for intensity, I'd say run at a hard pace--but something less than an all out race effort. So it is slower than your absolute best 5k effort--but not by much. Maybe 5% slower. If you can run a 5k at 7:00 per mile pace on your best day, back off and run maybe 7:20-7:25 pace for a tempo run. You should be breathing hard, but not gasping for air such as when you run the shorter intervals and are pushing yourself into the red zone.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:06 PM   #9
Paul Ryan

Profile:

Ah I know what these are now. I hate them.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:37 PM   #10
William Garrett

Profile:

Horrible Runner here.. prior injuries always come to light while running for me.

Im 35, so I need a 12:14 for a 90%+ score if I max out everything else. This is what worked for me, and has worked when I prep for the PT test a couple months out. Not saying this will work for you, but it does for me, and it guarantee's a pass even on a REALLY BAD day after work if you have to test.

Day 1 -- 1/2 mile sprint
Day 2 -- 1 mile run (good pace sub 7:45 mile)
Day 3 -- OFF
Day 4 -- 1.5 Run (timed good effort)
Day 5 -- 1/2 mile sprint
Day 6 -- OFF
Day 7 -- 1 mile gut check.

Usually go in 2 day increments with a day off. It allows me to recover, and nurse my prior existing and nagging injuries.
M/35/5'10@190lbs/L1 -- Squat 420, FS 325, DL 520, Press 215, Bench 315, 5k Row 19:30