CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 08-07-2006, 10:11 AM   #1
Brian Degenaro

Profile:
Here's a vid of me doing some one arm snatches at the track today. To critique myself, I think I pulled early and I didn't keep my DB close to my body on several ones. I prolly should've taken off my running sneakers also.

http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y288/spydrmanjr/?action=view&current=100_0065.f lv
Old 08-07-2006, 06:27 PM   #2
Pierre Auge

Profile:
Brain,
you are in fact pulling early and you're never hitting full hip extension. Jump without taking your feet off the ground, if you can imagine that. The weight should come up with little effort from the arms if none at all.

The sneaker issue I could see if you were on less solid ground but when training on a solid base like you were sneakers are fine. Now once you get into the really heavy weights pick shoes that have at least a semi hard sole with little give rather than sneakers.

Otherwise you're doing pretty good. Keep practicing! Oh one question, how old are you? In Highschool?
Old 08-07-2006, 06:59 PM   #3
Brian Degenaro

Profile:
Turned 16 at the end of July. I'll try what you said and just wait a split second longer before I start pulling. And typically I lift either barefoot or in my Nike orange Chuck Taylor ripoffs.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:28 PM   #4
Pierre Auge

Profile:
Good stuff, you're looking like your getting it. Just remember to explode through the extension and pull yourself under the weight, with the hips. As much as you would like to pull with the arms imagine you are using 200lbs. You wont be pulling the db up but pulling yourself under it!

Old 08-10-2006, 10:55 AM   #5
Brian Degenaro

Profile:
I think I've got the triple extension down, but I did notice on several of these, the PVC drifted away from my body, especially the first few. But later on they got better. Any other thoughts?

http://www.angelfire.com/blog/brian_d/100_0091.MOV

And since I don't want to make another thread, can someone tell me if I am correct in saying my vertical jump is between 25" and 27"? I found that using a video camera is a much better judge for testing verts.

http://www.angelfire.com/blog/brian_d/100_0093.MOV

If you're wondering how to do the math for this, you take my height in inches (67.5" with shoes), divide by the height of me in the video (I got 3.25"), take the answer (20.77), and multiply it by the heights of my jumps. I'm not sure if I did everything correct so I would like a second opinion.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:54 PM   #6
Brian Degenaro

Profile:
Oops, files not working anymore. Here's the zipfiles for them:

http://www.packageshare.com/file.php...02fee141439c60

http://www.packageshare.com/file.php...f3a0666b683de5
Old 08-11-2006, 04:40 AM   #7
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
Brian

I second Pierre's comments. Looks good overall though.

On the PVC snatches it looks like you are not bending the arms at all. You have to bend them a little bit if you want to keep the bar close to the body. Unless of course you are Piras Dimas.
Old 08-12-2006, 03:13 PM   #8
Charlie Reid

Profile:
Brian-

Try snatching a heavier dumbbell if you can. That'll bring out the problem areas real quick. I'm not saying kill yourself here, but definitely try something heavier and focus on really extending those hips.
Old 08-13-2006, 05:11 AM   #9
Brian Degenaro

Profile:
Yeah, I was doing that the other day at the gym, working my way up to 50lbs for 3. I got the extension down, but I need to work on getting under the DB faster to squat snatch it.