CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-04-2011, 11:08 PM   #1
Jimmy Nelson

Profile:
Deadlift form old school, new school right or wrong

Ok, since ive been doing crossfit for a little over 3 months, my worst day is deadlift day cuz it kills my back for days. So I made a form change on my own and went old school (sumo style width with legs, Louie Simmons) and my lifts felt better and the back wasnt hurting as bad or as long. Then one day on of the other coaches was teaching and made me stop doing it that way. Ive gone back the other way I was basically on the DL for a week.

Basically is it such a bad thing to go so wide with the lower body?
Old 12-05-2011, 12:11 AM   #2
Adam Carlson

Profile:
Re: Deadlift form old school, new school right or wrong

Sumo and conventional are slightly different in how they train your body, but both are viable lifts that are used by people in competition.

Learning how to do both correctly is good, and you will eventually find what works best for your body. I personally like conventional better than sumo, but I will throw sumo in to the mix every once and again in order to mix things up and not be one dimensional in my training.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:40 AM   #3
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

If deadlifts kill your back for days, you're doing something wrong. Either ask your coach or post video here. If sumo helps, it may be that sumo fits your particular body better, but it might also be because lifting sumo-style helps some other form fault.

Katherine
Old 12-05-2011, 06:58 PM   #4
Jared Ashley

Profile:

This guy seems to disprove your coach:

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=71310 (WFS)

it's not "old school" vs. "new school" at all. Some people lift better sumo, others lift better conventional. Both are competition legal, and both are used at the world-record level. You should train mostly the style that you are better suited to, although mixing it up occasionally can have benefits.

Agree with others that if your back is "wrecked for days" you are doing something wrong. It is likely that your sumo stance is simply less wrong than your conventional. Swallow your pride, lighten the weight, and get both dialed in before you decide which one is better for you.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:00 PM   #5
Jimmy Nelson

Profile:

Thanks guys, I used dartfish so film and breakdown my lift and it does clearly show poor form that the coaches are working with me on. I did the wide stance and the issues were 95% eliminated. I dont have a problem when we go heavy, it all starts when we hit the WOD and we have a butt load of deadlifts to do. I have swallowed the pride long ago :-)
Old 12-05-2011, 08:03 PM   #6
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Nelson View Post
Thanks guys, I used dartfish so film and breakdown my lift and it does clearly show poor form that the coaches are working with me on. I did the wide stance and the issues were 95% eliminated. I dont have a problem when we go heavy, it all starts when we hit the WOD and we have a butt load of deadlifts to do. I have swallowed the pride long ago :-)
Or another solution would be to not do high-rep deadlifts for time. People tend to get sloppy form when you put them to a clock, and sloppy deadlifts have a funny way of leading to back pain. There are plenty of other good movements that can be used for conditioning purposes without the risk of injury.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:20 AM   #7
Adam Carlson

Profile:

+1 to what Eric said.

When your form is spot on and you can a) keep good form consistently even when tired or b) understand when form is breaking down and can willingly back off, then you could put them in a timed WOD.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:42 AM   #8
Collin Thompson

Profile:

I'm with Eric. Next time they program you high rep deadlifts I wonder if it wouldn't be a bad idea to ask if you can do weighted box jumps or dumbbell swings instead?
Old 12-06-2011, 02:43 AM   #9
Adam Carlson

Profile:

yeah, something like KB swings would be lighter weight but still emphasize a tight midline and stable back.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:49 PM   #10
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

actually bouncing deadlifts can be quite hard on your lower back. there is some fancy words about why that i can't remember but it's not a great idea.