CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-26-2011, 12:02 AM   #1
Ben Croese

Profile:
training twice a day

how many people here train more than once a day? if so how do u split it up? is it possible to do a WOD in the morning and another in the arvo with proper nutrition? or is that something you would only be able to handle in small doses (like the games) after which some solid rest would be required?
Old 09-26-2011, 12:38 AM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: training twice a day

Just because it's possible, that doesn't mean it's a good idea.

I'd suggest having a more concrete goal -- and therefore more concrete programming -- than just "do two WODs a day." Maybe you want to do a strength session and a metcon session. Maybe you want to do a shorter strength and conditioning workout and a longer endurance workout. Maybe the time you'd spend on a second workout would be more productive if dedicated to getting better at a sport.

Your goal, in turn, will define how often you train and how you split the workouts up.

Katherine
Old 09-26-2011, 03:32 AM   #3
Sean J Hunter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Croese View Post
how many people here train more than once a day? if so how do u split it up? is it possible to do a WOD in the morning and another in the arvo with proper nutrition? or is that something you would only be able to handle in small doses (like the games) after which some solid rest would be required?
Gidday Ben,

The issue with 2x / day is you will likely over train unless you
a) have relatively low levels of fitness so that you're not taxing CNS so much
b) you program very carefully to not fail on the specific recovery front and
c) you are trying to peek for a competition and probably not planning on that kind of volumn for maybe 6 weeks.

Now in saying that I used to train with a guy I called "Spring boy" who was 15year old and recovered like a SOB, eat like a beast, and basically lay around all day. Him and I trainind 2x for about 3 months. I started over training, he could've just kept going.

What is your level of fitness?
Hoe old are you?
Why do you want to do this?
There's an Army saying "Slow is [good], and [good] is fast", that's a slight misquote, but my point is quality is better then quantity in most cases, especially if your self programming and inexperianced.

Just my thoughts

Otherwise listen to Katherine, she knows stuff.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:10 AM   #4
Thomas Manlove

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Just because it's possible, that doesn't mean it's a good idea.

I'd suggest having a more concrete goal -- and therefore more concrete programming -- than just "do two WODs a day." Maybe you want to do a strength session and a metcon session. Maybe you want to do a shorter strength and conditioning workout and a longer endurance workout. Maybe the time you'd spend on a second workout would be more productive if dedicated to getting better at a sport.

Your goal, in turn, will define how often you train and how you split the workouts up.

Katherine
What Katherine said. Personally I always program a strength session and a met-con session for each day. Sometimes I do them one right after the other, but I prefer breaking it into two separate session (morning and evening) because it allows me to focus 100% on the goal of that sesssion (my time or score for the met con, and a weight or a number of reps for the strength). The only increases in volume if I do two sessions in a day are:
1) in the strength session I tend to build up to my working sets more gradually(focusing on technique) and maybe add one more working set
2) after the met-con I spend more time working on my weaknesses
3) more time warming up and working on flex/mobility before and after both sessions.
I just think if your schedule permits two shorter focused sessions is better than one longer session. Especially if the met-con you've got planned is something brutal like 'The Seven' WFS . I can't imagine jumping into that after a heavy strength session.
6'1" ,206 (92kg), 25years- CFT: 913, 2K Row: 6:41
Old 09-26-2011, 06:26 AM   #5
David Baxter

Profile:

give it a go mate and see what happens - I train 2 x a day - both Metcon and strength and haven't blown out in 6 months - abet I did have a great base to start with
Old 09-26-2011, 12:34 PM   #6
Sheldon Kreger

Profile:

Crossfit Football splits work into a strength WOD and a metcon WOD. I only go to the gym once per day, so I will usually rest about 15 minutes between the two.

I also ride my bike about 40-60 minutes per day, so I'll cut back the metcon if I feel like I'm overworking. I also take about 1 additional rest day per week.

Personally, I also have a hard time eating enough to fuel everything - really, that's the biggest challenge for me.

Also, adding fish oil has helped with recovery substantially. I mean, it's like night and day.

Another thing to think about is spending time on skill work and mobility rather than trying to work out more. Check these out - very good programming from some great coaches on these sites:

http://gymnasticswod.com/

WFS

http://www.mobilitywod.com/

WFS

-sheldon

Last edited by Sheldon Kreger : 09-26-2011 at 12:43 PM.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:47 PM   #7
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

This is all about balance. The risk of working out 2 x a day is that you'll do too much. If I train only once a day, I might be limited by life circumstances, fatigue and scheduling so I can only spend 1-1.5 hours in the gym. If I take that same workload and split it, now there is an easier chance to creep more stuff in. Say I did a 1/2 hour strength routine, but felt I didn't hit my hammies hard enough so I add some glute ham raises. Hmm, that didn't take up too much time, so they become a permanent fixture. Then I hit my planned metcon in the evening, but now I need to warm up again, I do a brief metcon, but felt I did cruddy on the muscle ups, so I decide to spend 15-20 minutes working form on the MU's. This is OK once in a while, but if it becomes the norm it could be the reason for slowing things down.

If you are going to split the workouts, I think the advantage is better focus and intensity of each split in the workout--I can work my leg strength hard in the AM instead of keeping something in the tank for the metcon right after now that it is in the evening. But, you want to keep the volume overall pretty much the same as you would in one workout, if overtime you are making gains then you can start boosting some of the volume.

Probably 3 days a week I split my strength work from my conditioning. I feel I can focus better on strength and then go crazier on the metcon.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:30 PM   #8
Sean J Hunter

Profile:

I think the OP wants to put more in, not just split a std ME + WOD?

S
Old 09-26-2011, 04:40 PM   #9
Evan Peikon

Profile:

if you want some serious volume try sealfit. i can't even imagine doing that much work in one day without severe overtraining
Old 09-26-2011, 05:08 PM   #10
Terry Gibbs

Profile:

Depends on what you are trying to do.

Due to limits on the work vs training issue, I throw (heavy weight, like a very heavy hammer 20-56lbs thrown off three turns) on the same days I squat and pull. It gives me maxmiun recovery and I need it as I am 57.

Lift on two other days and do some low impact cardio (age again and I am building up my work capacity) on two other days, plus the occasional discus session.

If you build up to it, no problem.

Most top class throwers and throwers trying to get there lift up to 4-6 days per week, do throws 3-6 days, plus special strength work drills, cardio etc.

BUT got to build up to it

just because you are committed to the idea, unless you build up to it, as the others have said you could easily over train