CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-12-2011, 06:39 PM   #11
Nicole Voorhout

Profile:
Re: New Aussie Crossfitter tries Paleo

Just an update, so I was pretty pleased with how the week went generally, I still had some concerns I was eating too much, but I registered a 1.5kg loss on the scales this week, so I am stoked, and am pleased to feel I am on the right track.

I decided to have a full fat milk coffee on Saturday which I really enjoyed, but have decided to leave as a weekend treat, but I also found myself at a friends for lunch where I just didn't want to explain about the whole avoiding grains thing yet so found myself eating a small amount of bread, I was aware these situations could happen and I definitely didn't beat myself up about it, I started my day with a paleo meal and ended it with one so I felt fine on those respects.

Here's the kicker, yesterday I got a cold sore, I haven't had one for ages, and usually get them when I am run down or stressed. But I'm almost convinced that it was something I ate on Saturday that I hadn't eaten all week, that possibly triggered it. I will have to keep a closer eye on things!

I have further had a couple of PR's this week including:

10 double unders in a row for the first time
42.5kg snatch balance
and I Rx'd our Saturday workout and did more rounds than even the boys who Rx'd so they proudly proclaimed me the person to beat for the WOD.

This week's meals include:

Chicken and vegetable curry with Cauliflower "Rice"
Osso Bucco with extra vegetables and Cauliflower & Spinach Mash
Curried mince and vegetables
Loads of Roast vegetables, a mix made with sweet potato and a mix made without.
Chicken Mince Meatloaf
And Egg & vegie muffins

And I'm still digesting this morning's Flat mushrooms, ham and egg breafast! I've never enjoyed food so much!
Old 06-12-2011, 06:52 PM   #12
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Osso Bucco is my favorite Italian dish, how did you make it? I've been meaning to make it ever since I tried it in Italy but haven't gotten around to it.

Don't worry about comments from friends, just explain it to them if you want (or not) and hope for the best. I still get crap from my friends after four years of college with them but I ignore it. It sounds like you are off to a great start, keep it up!
Old 06-13-2011, 04:29 AM   #13
Nicole Voorhout

Profile:

I put everything in a crockpot and let it do it's thing! I do seal the meat by browning it but skip dredging it in flour. I also add loads of extra vegies, anything I fancy or have on hand but I think you typically start with onion and carrot. I added a little stock and have cooked it without wine as well, as long as you are heavy on the garlic and herbs, and let the meat cook till it's falling apart I find you still get good flavour, but also you don't need to add heaps of wine to get good flavour either so it's a judgement call as to whether to add it or not.

It's not that I'm opposed to talking to my friends about it, I've been really lucky with supportive people in my life whilst I've been losing weight I just hadn't gotten round to talking to this friend about it as it had only been a week and it's important for me to learn that sometimes things happen and I can just have that meal and get back to things. So more I was pleased with how I handled it in myself not freaking out or overly worrying and just getting back on with it.

I even got some brussel sprouts which I've detested since I was young but have now realised as an adult that they are like little mini cabbages, add some butter and ham and onion and they are just fine! Who knew!

I'm happy with this start and am all ready for the week ahead!
Old 06-13-2011, 04:32 AM   #14
Dave Traeger

Profile:

Brussel sprouts aren't paleo. Nature couldn't grow something so disgusting.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:34 AM   #15
Michael Langanke

Profile:

@Dave, thats why god invented garlic
Old 06-13-2011, 04:41 AM   #16
Nicole Voorhout

Profile:

I used to feel the same way but yes garlic and ham off the bone, and butter... and a couple of eggs and I ate the whole plateful, but surprisingly the ones I roasted with other vegies were soft and squidgy and pretty nice, god I can't even believe I'm admitting it!

I have discovered several times through my life that my tastes have changed, when I was a kid I used to hate mango so much that if people tried to offer me an orange and mango juice I would tell them I was allergic, nowadays in summer give me a mango and OMG yummo. Same with coffee it's something I learnt to drink whilst I lived in England. I've learnt that sometimes you just need to have another try years later!
Old 06-14-2011, 11:01 AM   #17
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole Voorhout View Post
I put everything in a crockpot and let it do it's thing! I do seal the meat by browning it but skip dredging it in flour. I also add loads of extra vegies, anything I fancy or have on hand but I think you typically start with onion and carrot. I added a little stock and have cooked it without wine as well, as long as you are heavy on the garlic and herbs, and let the meat cook till it's falling apart I find you still get good flavour, but also you don't need to add heaps of wine to get good flavour either so it's a judgement call as to whether to add it or not.

It's not that I'm opposed to talking to my friends about it, I've been really lucky with supportive people in my life whilst I've been losing weight I just hadn't gotten round to talking to this friend about it as it had only been a week and it's important for me to learn that sometimes things happen and I can just have that meal and get back to things. So more I was pleased with how I handled it in myself not freaking out or overly worrying and just getting back on with it.

I even got some brussel sprouts which I've detested since I was young but have now realised as an adult that they are like little mini cabbages, add some butter and ham and onion and they are just fine! Who knew!

I'm happy with this start and am all ready for the week ahead!
Sounds easy enough, thanks!

You have a good view on eating non-paleo meals, it's definitely much better to not stress out over bad meals.

Ever since going paleo my tastes have changed and brussel sprouts have become my favorite vegetable. I probably eat at least 2lbs a week, can't get enough of them.