CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-06-2011, 11:24 AM   #21
Casey Connor

Profile:
Re: Regionals athlete trying to lean out

I'm sure I'm going to be in the minority here, but the only time I had a 6 pack was when I was doing cardio for 3 hrs/day. During high school I lifted for about 6 hrs/day x 5 days/wk and I was big (size wise), but never super lean. I went from 102 lbs my freshman year to 150 lbs my senior year at 5'7". During college I rowed on the national level and did about 1.5 hrs cardio/day and 2 hrs weights/day x 5 days/wk and never leaned out. I was activated for the Iraq war and sent to VA for about 5 months. There wasn't crap to do there except drink and work out. I was big into training for a triathalon at this time so I stopped weights altogether and went 100% cardio. I found that an hour of running (~8 mi), an hour of swimming, 30 min bike, and 30 min rowing/day at 5 days/wk really leaned me out. Over the 5 months I dropped about 20-25 lbs and, for the first time in my life, felt ripped. This was all while eating mess hall slop for 3 meals/day.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:30 AM   #22
adam adkins

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Leaman View Post
The guy is already bordering on too much exercise. Why would he add more sprinting? An activity that taxes the CNS pretty hard and requires significant recovery. Why would he cut carbs even further and only eat berries, leaves, and meat? He needs to eat more if he's eating less than 2k/day.
He asked how to get leaner not perform better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Leaman View Post
Also, whats wrong with looking good? Girls DO like a nice lean body. Maybe not 40 y/o women, but girls in their 20's go crazy.
Nothing is wrong with looking good. Hell, I look great. But the OP would likely be happier getting bigger and stronger than he would be arbitrarily chasing 8%. And the process of getting bigger and stronger may just get him to 8% by accident. But I can assure you that chasing 8% won't get him bigger and stronger.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:40 PM   #23
Brett Lukas

Profile:

Ok... So from what I can tell, the consensus seems to be the following:

1) Take some time off. As much as I'll hate doing it, it's probably for the best... with regards to both performance and body comp.

2) Eat more. That's something I'll enjoy! Though I imagine I shouldn't suddenly ramp up calories, especially if I'm taking some time off of working out. Even if I keep them around 2600. Correct?

3) Sprints. Something I've actually started doing more of this week (I decided on doing tabata sprints every other day for both performance and body comp improvement).

Am I correct in my assessment? One more question... what are everyone's thoughts on continuing with the tabata sprints every other day during my 5-6 days off? They're short enough that I'd think that every other day my body could handle and still get some serious rest, yet effective enough that I A) won't go crazy, and B) will prevent any loss of proficiency in metcons. And if not legitimate tabata sprints, how about tabata sprints on the rower? (Intensity is definitely lower on the row than on an all out sprint.)

Again, I truly appreciate the attention everyone's given this!

-B
Old 06-06-2011, 12:54 PM   #24
James Chu

Profile:

1) Good
2) Eat to sustain your caloric burn on a daily basis. 2600 cals may be enough for a light day, but may be woefully deficient on those heavy workout days.
3) If you're taking time off, its time off. If you're working out, its not time off, regardless of the type of activity.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:01 PM   #25
adam adkins

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Lukas View Post
I decided on doing tabata sprints every other day for both performance and body comp improvement.

-B
You can't tabata sprint. If you can recover in 10 seconds you aren't sprinting.

If you figure a normal tabata is 20:10 and assuming you are an average athlete you could sprint 125-150meters in 20 seconds. There is no way to turn around and do it again in 10 seconds.

Add long walks. There is another thread on morning walks and no one can dispute that the leanest people in the world do lots of long slow distance work (no, I'm not talking about jogging - I said walking).

If you sprint; sprint, recover, repeat. No tabata BS.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:22 PM   #26
Brett Lukas

Profile:

So I just remembered while looking at another thread... The week or so before regionals I had strep throat. During that time (from Monday to Sunday - 6 days) I trained only once (Wednesday morning) and it would be difficult to even consider it a workout. On that next Monday and Tuesday I worked out, but did nothing from that second Wednesday up until our first regional workout on Friday. So during an 11-12 day period of time, I had only trained 2-3 times (2 of which back to back, one not really even a workout). During this time I did little other than sleep an eat. Would this be considered a deloading week? And if so, would I now be moving on to points 2 and 3 (eat more and do more sprints)?

And Adam:

I completely agree with you that you can't repeat the distance you travelled in your first sprint for all 8 rounds. What you can do, however, is go as hard as you possibly can every round... I agree that most people don't legitimately "sprint" their tabata intervals because, well, it sucks. But I definitely do, and going purely by definition, this is still a sprint. Wouldn't your body react in the same way ("adequate" recovery or not) if you're pushing yourself to the fastest you can possibly move? Anyway, I definitely hear you on the "legit" sprint work, and I'm going to continue with the 400m-800m repeats (with adequate rest) that I do and so on, but I'll likely keep tabata sprints in there as well, if for no other reason than the impressive increase in VO2 max and improvement in both aerobic and anaerobic energy systems simultaneously. About the walking, awesome point. I'll probably try to get on that 3x a week (grad school limits my morning time... significantly).
Old 06-06-2011, 01:30 PM   #27
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

No, being sick does not count as a deload week.

It may, however, be a sign that you need more rest than you're getting.

2600 calories is pitifully inadequate for your workload.

Katherine
Old 06-06-2011, 01:43 PM   #28
adam adkins

Profile:

Quote:
I completely agree with you that you can't repeat the distance you travelled in your first sprint for all 8 rounds. What you can do, however, is go as hard as you possibly can every round... I agree that most people don't legitimately "sprint" their tabata intervals because, well, it sucks. But I definitely do, and going purely by definition, this is still a sprint. Wouldn't your body react in the same way ("adequate" recovery or not) if you're pushing yourself to the fastest you can possibly move? Anyway, I definitely hear you on the "legit" sprint work, and I'm going to continue with the 400m-800m repeats (with adequate rest) that I do and so on, but I'll likely keep tabata sprints in there as well, if for no other reason than the impressive increase in VO2 max and improvement in both aerobic and anaerobic energy systems simultaneously. About the walking, awesome point. I'll probably try to get on that 3x a week (grad school limits my morning time... significantly).
This is beginning to appear hopeless.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:04 PM   #29
Brett Lukas

Profile:

Haha sorry folks.

1) Rest more. Like for a week.

2) Eat more. In the neighborhood of 2800-3000 cal/day? At least 180g of protein, the rest mainly from fats, but with more carbs than I have been eating? And should I slowly ramp up to this, or just start eating more today?

3) Sprint more. And I'll knock it off with the tabata sprints if you think stuff like the 400m repeats with more rest will be better.

4) Long walks on the beach... unfortunately, sans beach. I can deal with long walks along the road.

Anything I'm missing?

Thanks for the patience.

-B
Old 06-06-2011, 02:05 PM   #30
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
And Adam:

I completely agree with you that you can't repeat the distance you travelled in your first sprint for all 8 rounds. What you can do, however, is go as hard as you possibly can every round... I agree that most people don't legitimately "sprint" their tabata intervals because, well, it sucks. But I definitely do, and going purely by definition, this is still a sprint. Wouldn't your body react in the same way ("adequate" recovery or not) if you're pushing yourself to the fastest you can possibly move?
To answer your last question, no, because if you're pushing yourself as hard as you can when your anaerobic system is already expended, it will go aerobic.
And aerobic running is not sprinting. This is why the tabata protocol has benefits for anaerobic and aerobic systems (although it's not the best for each individually).