CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-19-2011, 08:27 PM   #1
Graham Arrowood

Profile:
Games Competitors and Biceps??

I'm not even sure if this goes here...but, I have noticed a correlation between the top games competitors and bulging biceps.

What do these guys do that makes their biceps look so massive?

Call me vain...but I want them.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:45 PM   #2
David Hansen

Profile:
Re: Games Competitors and Biceps??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Arrowood View Post

Call me vain...but I want them.
Lots of curling in the squat rack.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:59 PM   #3
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hansen View Post

Consider that there are many who have prior stone throwing experience before crossfit. I also don't see a lot of guys who are any good on the rings, deadlifting, or oly lifting that have small arms. These tend to be staple items in crossfit ergo zie gaans!
Old 05-19-2011, 10:13 PM   #4
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
I'm not even sure if this goes here...but, I have noticed a correlation between the top games competitors and bulging biceps.

Crossfit?

Actually, as noted, lots of pullups, muscle-ups, and similar.

They're proof of the adage that form follows function.

Katherine
Old 05-20-2011, 03:02 AM   #5
David Meverden

Profile:

I've never seen a CF program that will give you bulging biceps, which my fairly modest gunz will also attest to. I have been doing CF for about 3 years and have done a fair bit of strength work to help me be good at CF. None of it has given me big biceps. Yes, chinups will work the biceps, but not the way curls will. My 1RM curl and weighted chinup are at about the same weight (around 100 lbs), which I think is all right for weighted chinup, but I'm pretty sure is pretty pitiful if you care about curling. If you want big gunz or want arms that are strong in more ways, add the curls (I might).

I think the bulging biceps you are seeing have nothing to do with CF and everything to do with a decade of conventional training via methods that included doing bicep curls (perhaps too much curling, in some cases. I still agree that biceps are over worked in gyms).
Old 05-20-2011, 05:08 AM   #6
Graham Arrowood

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
I've never seen a CF program that will give you bulging biceps, which my fairly modest gunz will also attest to. I have been doing CF for about 3 years and have done a fair bit of strength work to help me be good at CF. None of it has given me big biceps. Yes, chinups will work the biceps, but not the way curls will. My 1RM curl and weighted chinup are at about the same weight (around 100 lbs), which I think is all right for weighted chinup, but I'm pretty sure is pretty pitiful if you care about curling. If you want big gunz or want arms that are strong in more ways, add the curls (I might).

I think the bulging biceps you are seeing have nothing to do with CF and everything to do with a decade of conventional training via methods that included doing bicep curls (perhaps too much curling, in some cases. I still agree that biceps are over worked in gyms).
This is what I was thinking. There is no way Khalipa got his biceps by doing pull-ups.

Didn't most of the guys like Matt Chan, Jason Khalipa, and Rob Orlando come to Crossfit after years of training in other methods?
Old 05-20-2011, 05:34 AM   #7
Andrew James

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hansen View Post
Old 05-20-2011, 05:45 AM   #8
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
This is what I was thinking. There is no way Khalipa got his biceps by doing pull-ups.

Didn't most of the guys like Matt Chan, Jason Khalipa, and Rob Orlando come to Crossfit after years of training in other methods?
These guys all have prior weight lifiting, bodybuilding and strongman experience.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:58 AM   #9
Graham Arrowood

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blankenship View Post
These guys all have prior weight lifiting, bodybuilding and strongman experience.
So, it seems like if I want to be successful in the Crossfit games, I should just quit Crossfit and take up powerlifting/strongman/bodybuilding until my mid-20's. Then I should switch back to Crossfit and dominate the competition with my large biceps?
Old 05-20-2011, 06:18 AM   #10
Andrew James

Profile:

Quote:
So, it seems like if I want to be successful in the Crossfit games, I should just quit Crossfit and take up powerlifting/strongman/bodybuilding until my mid-20's. Then I should switch back to Crossfit and dominate the competition with my large biceps?
Pretty much.