CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-20-2011, 01:03 AM   #11
Doug Lantz

Profile:
Re: Chad Ochocinco entering the games?

NFL players at the "skill" positions could certainly quickly apply their athletic talents to learning the movements that are likely to appear in the Games.

Lineman not so much simply because their size puts them at a disadvantage with bodyweight movements, note John Welbourn placed 95th (I think) at the 2008 Games.

I'm sure they could reasonably handle random tasks even when given tasks they've never done.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:54 PM   #12
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Not to mention his training is very varied. Have you ever seen the Hard Knocks that focuses on the Bengals? I mean he boxes as part of his training. That's certainly not just catching long balls and running routes.
It's funny how much credit people are willing to give people that compete at the Games yet won't give any to legitimate elite athletes.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:08 PM   #13
Emily Mattes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gibson View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if Mr. Ochocinco has some gaping holes in his fitness. His specialization is catching long balls, breaking tackles, and running routes. Not sure any of those skills are at the CF games...wouldn't be surprised if he didn't accept the invitation.
I'm guessing this is a joke. A very bad one.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:21 PM   #14
adam adkins

Profile:

So one of Reebok's top athletes is tweeting about Reebok's newest venture?

Shocking. It is almost like they planned it or something.:stir:
Old 03-20-2011, 10:15 PM   #15
Bill Gibson

Profile:

@Emily - No joke here...just saying that if it were to come to pass that Ochocinco couldn't perform (or with as much intensity as experienced CF'ers) a muscle up, pistol, rope climb, handstand push up, or compete with long slow distance events, etc. etc. etc. I would not be very surprised. Greg Glassman himself has even said something to the extent of "good, let professional athletes in other sports compete...I know several weaknesses of starting super bowl line ups"
Old 03-21-2011, 05:08 AM   #16
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Quote:
@Emily - No joke here...just saying that if it were to come to pass that Ochocinco couldn't perform (or with as much intensity as experienced CF'ers) a muscle up, pistol, rope climb, handstand push up, or compete with long slow distance events, etc. etc. etc. I would not be very surprised. Greg Glassman himself has even said something to the extent of "good, let professional athletes in other sports compete...I know several weaknesses of starting super bowl line ups"
Greg Glassman says a lot of stuff without any backup or proof.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:00 AM   #17
Bill Gibson

Profile:

@Jason - sure. But at the same time, if you just think about the pure economics of the situation, professional athletes are payed millions to do what they are supposed to do in their sport. In this interview of John Welbourn by Mark Rippetoe http://*************/2010/04/02/john...ting-strength/ (WFS) John says that when he got to the the New England Patriots weight room, there was only one or two olympic lifting platforms and John was mostly the only one utilizing them. I got the impression that when athletes get to the professional level, trainers use the mentality of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" and a lot of times, players get to the professional level just using machines, or some other (what we might call weird) association of devices. Hell, just a quick youtube search shows a work out Terrell Owens does and how goofie it looks http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXPb2BMvpGM (WFS)

Ochocinco's looks a little better http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u29jrTrjcSo (WFS) although he seems more concerned about exercising his "talking trash muscles"

The bottom line for athletes in the NFL, NBA, or MLB is being able to complete a very specific task, very well. Whether or not that translates into a top 10 performance at the crossfit games is to be seen. Given their current financial incentives and the jobs they have been trained to do, it would not shock me at all. They are human as well.

(EDIT: It seems this board won't let me link to anything about Mark Rippetoe, but if you google "Mark Rippetoe John Welbourn," the first couple of hits will give you exactly what you're looking for. )

Last edited by Bill Gibson : 03-21-2011 at 06:03 AM.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:38 AM   #18
Emily Mattes

Profile:

Quote:
Bill, if you really aren't joking, you are grossly, grossly underestimating the caliber of any athlete in the NFL, and grossly, grossly overestimating the caliber of any athlete at the Crossfit Games. No offense. Football is a sport requiring a highly diverse set of athletic gifts in its players, and even if a player is in a highly specialized position by the time they reach the NFL they are light-years beyond anything someone training out of a box could hope to touch with Crossfit programming.

Promoters of Crossfit and related products (Wellbourne, Rippetoe, Glassman, etc) should probably not be taken at face value when evaluating the efficacy of their programs.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:47 AM   #19
Bill Gibson

Profile:

@Emily - again, I'll repeat this

"The bottom line for athletes in the NFL, NBA, or MLB is being able to complete a very specific task, very well. Whether or not that translates into a top 10 performance at the crossfit games is to be seen. Given their current financial incentives and the jobs they have been trained to do, it would not shock me at all. They are human as well."
Old 03-21-2011, 07:11 AM   #20
Jay Adams

Profile:

I have seen low level NFL players working out at a college gym during training camps and the weight moved and volume of work was shocking. 315lb power cleans and 430lb squats for work sets. Guys that run a 4.8 40 and bench 225 for 49 reps have a pretty good grasp of "work potential across broad time and modal domains". The athletes in the CF games are fierce and they are by no means to be discounted. That being said PAID professional athletes from top tier sports (NFL,NBA ect) are great athletes who are also great at an established sport. The "sport of fitness" as a sport that people want to fill a stadium to watch remains to be seen. Worlds Strongest Man will suck at CF Games and CF Games winner will suck at WSM. We at CF always want to see other athletes do CF and see them get wrecked, but how would game winners do at combine? Not just the 40 and verticle and bench...but the agility and sport specific aspects. Asking Ochocinco to do muscle ups for time is like asking Chris Spealer to play 4 quarters in and NFL game.