CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 09-21-2004, 01:27 PM   #1
Andy Hilven

Profile:  
Hi,

I've been lurking around for a while and even did some of the WOD's in the last week. Unfortunately I don't have the space nor equipment to do all of the WOD's. Using olympic weightbar wouldn't be a nice gesture to my neighbours. One of the disadvanteges of living in an appartment.

Cause the pullup exercise is returning every other day, I've been looking for an alternative. The only thing I've found is "negatives", but I'm not sure what this is. Could someone explain it to me? I guess you still need a pullup bar. If so, what would be a substitute for pullups? Would Handstand pushups be a good alternative?

I'm very excited about the crossfit idea, and I'm planning to get at least the minimum equipment to follow the WOD's every day. So till then I need to improvise and hope to get feedback here to help me out. Thanks.

Andy
Old 09-21-2004, 03:00 PM   #2
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Welcome Andy. Yes you will need a pullup bar. There are some models which fit in a door frame. I would also buy Jump Stretch bands or even rubber tubing from a medical supply store. Wrap the tubing around one end of the bar and grab it with the other hand, grab onto the bar, feet on top of the tubing. Or tie the ends of the tubing together and attach to the bar. Put your feet in the tubing and adjudt the resistance. You could now do assisted pullups. Make a ghetto ball from an old basketball, sand, and duct tape. Buy and make what you can.
Old 09-21-2004, 03:37 PM   #3
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
Welcome to Crossfit.

I was doing pull ups on the door itself whenever WOD called for it and I was stuck doing it in the apartment.

Find a sturdy door (I weigh approximately 200lbs and my bedroom door was fine).

Throw a folded towel over the top.

Do overhand pull ups on the door, dragging you knees up the door as you pull.

These are harder than regular pull ups in many ways, but at least you are doing a similar motion. Eventually, I just hung a bar using some chain I got from a hardware store. I put it outside on the balcony of my apartment (I got lucky and have a large balcony). I still have to bend my knees, but I enjoy doing the pull ups on a bar instead of on a door.

To answer your questions:

Negatives with respect to pull ups are when you boost yourself up to the top of the pull up device (using your legs for example), then letting yourself go down in a controlled manner. This method is usually used when you cannot do any more pull ups (I use these when we have a lot of pull ups in one WOD and I can't do them all). It is sometimes better to do these for the required number of reps instead of quitting all together.

Hand Stand Push Ups (or "HSPUs") are a good upper body exercise, but I don't think they are the best replacement for pull ups. Many WODs use both, because one motion is pulling and the other is pushing. Try doing door pull ups or buying one of those bars that attaches to a the door frame so you can do your required number of pull ups.

Don't worry about all the required equipment at first. I resorted to deadlifing my girlfriend, my second WOD, done wall ball with a bag of cat litter, and done squats with people on my back instead of a bar. The options are out there, it just takes some creativity.

The main thing is that you do the WOD as much as possible. If there is no possible way to do the one prescribed, try to do one that doesn't require any equipment. Go back through the archives and make a list of stuff you CAN do without stuff to use.

Good luck, and may Pukie be nice to you.