CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 02-08-2011, 11:33 AM   #31
Aushion Chatman

Profile:
Re: Abdominal strength program

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Breyer View Post
Wha?

Great thread btw, I need to incorporate some of this. I can do GHD till the cows come home but anything L, or even K2E fry my abs. Some good warmup/skill work ideas in here.
See Saw Press

Start with two KB's (DB's) like you're going to Military Press, Press one to the top, as you lower it, press the other up and continue in a "see-saw" fashion. Imagine the KB's passing each other at your forehead, one on the way up while the other is coming down.

More demanding then simply doing alternating presses.

If you do any complex KB work, this is a great one to work in:

double KB swing for 4-6 reps, then double snatch 4-6 reps, see saw press 4-6reps, front sqt 4-6 reps... Repeat for 5 sets or so with 2 minutes rest in between...pretty nasty stuff, try it with a weight you can manage though, if you go too heavy you WILL quit. KB complexes are more demanding than DB and BB.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:26 PM   #32
Chris Peterson

Profile:

Honestly, I have been doing CF for 7-8 months now, and have not done any "ab-specific" or "toning" workouts. I haven't changed my diet much (I know that it would make a lot of people on here cringe).

But HOLY CRAP have I seen results in the way I look. I took a picture a month before CF (Mid-May last year) and then again mid January this year. I couldn't believe the difference. I had put on no weight. 185 before CF and 185 now. But wow, I look a lot better now. So if you're looking for ab definition, just keep doing the CF wods. How many times a week do you go? Maybe you want to start going more often. Good luck. I know I'm gonna be happy that I have my beach body ready... and can lift heavy stuff.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:38 PM   #33
Troy Becker

Profile:

Oh yea, hanging windshield wipers and renegade rows hit the obliques harder than anything, I think.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:20 PM   #34
Jake Dent

Profile:

What I've done, and has worked really well is just supplemented a few times a week with:
GHD situps
Occasionally L-sits or pulls
Abmat situps

That's it. It's worked well.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:56 AM   #35
Mark Martinez

Profile:

[quote=Eric Donald Davis;901193]U recommend crossfit type sit-ups or crunches for the 60 reps?

Or doesn't matter, do 60 reps of any ab exercise?[/QUOTE

I did crunches in the past. Now, I would do unanchored stiff-leg sit-ups (strict as possible). It's good to mix-it up though (constantly varied). Replace leg-lifts with TTB, KTE, floor-wipers or hanging-wipers at 20 reps a piece. Plus, you can do all the other heavy lifting and kb work to strengthen your core. Single-arm db/kb work for standing/bench presses, cleans, deadlifts work great too.

I don't work abs specifically anymore or hardly ever. Having said that, I'm still able to maintain somewhat of a six-pack with CF and additional strength/skill work. I can still do over 70 Air Force sit-ups (anchored with legs bent 90 degrees/hand on shoulders/elbow touch femur/shoulder blades to floor) in less than or about a minute these days without training specifically for it.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:50 AM   #36
Andrew Breyer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aushion Chatman View Post
See Saw Press

Start with two KB's (DB's) like you're going to Military Press, Press one to the top, as you lower it, press the other up and continue in a "see-saw" fashion. Imagine the KB's passing each other at your forehead, one on the way up while the other is coming down.

More demanding then simply doing alternating presses.

If you do any complex KB work, this is a great one to work in:

double KB swing for 4-6 reps, then double snatch 4-6 reps, see saw press 4-6reps, front sqt 4-6 reps... Repeat for 5 sets or so with 2 minutes rest in between...pretty nasty stuff, try it with a weight you can manage though, if you go too heavy you WILL quit. KB complexes are more demanding than DB and BB.
Very cool. I'll have to give these a shot. Wish I had pairs of my 1, 1.5 and 2 pood KB's, instead of just one...
Old 02-12-2011, 11:30 AM   #37
Aaron Gainer

Profile:

Beyond the squat, press/bench, deadlift/clean combo for core work, I do dip leg raises or l-sits, ab wheel or barbell rollouts, and hand walks with my feet anchored on furniture movers or strapped into a power wheel.

Add one or two in your program and call it good. You will be surprised how much core strength caries over from doing just the main lifts.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:02 PM   #38
Andrew Breyer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Gainer View Post
Beyond the squat, press/bench, deadlift/clean combo for core work, I do dip leg raises or l-sits, ab wheel or barbell rollouts, and hand walks with my feet anchored on furniture movers or strapped into a power wheel.

Add one or two in your program and call it good. You will be surprised how much core strength caries over from doing just the main lifts.
This is true, and obviously strengthened mid line stability will allow for more weight in the "main lifts" but, I'd just like to point out that from my experience, this doesn't go both ways.

I focus mainly on the Olympic lifts, and see gains in core strength there, but I still have much difficulty with L-sits and K2Es... I think the only way to become proficient at those is practice.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:39 PM   #39
Troy Becker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Breyer View Post
but I still have much difficulty with L-sits and K2Es... I think the only way to become proficient at those is practice.
Could be flexibility and lat strength, respectively, that is also holding you back. I can't do L sits for a really long time because my hamstrings fight me the whole time.