CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 01-17-2011, 12:51 PM   #1
Samantha Inman

Profile:
Broken wrist

So quite a few years ago (I was 16) I fell off a horse and shattered my wrist. The manner in which I landed on it basically meant all of my then probably 160 pounds went onto the heel of my right palm--I was bracing for impact. Had minor surgery to insert removable pins so my wrist could heal correctly but long story short the ortho I used screwed my wrist up. My right hand/wrist is incredibly flat, and there is also a piece missing. When I am doing something that requires bearing weight on my hands, like push ups, bear crawls, etc it gets to be extremely painful and my and actually goes numb. I'll take pictures if you'd like clarification as to what I mean by 'flat', and to highlight where the piece is missing.

Just wondering if there's something I can do for it to increase my range of options as far as exercises go; braces, exercises, etc.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:37 AM   #2
Samantha Inman

Profile:
Re: Broken wrist

no one, really?
Old 01-19-2011, 09:27 AM   #3
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:

Perhaps there are some threads on wrist issues which may get you started with information. Many people tape their wrists for added support. There are movements that mobilize the wrists, but, we don't diagnose; only give some general advice. There are some folks in this community that may have some information to share. Hang in there. This is a caring community. I know it's frustrating to have an injury, and exercise limitations.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:06 AM   #4
Samantha Inman

Profile:

I think everyone might be misunderstanding--the wrist is healed--I'm now 20, almost 21, and I broke it when I was 16....I've been told to do a variety of exercises but they don't help--things that will strengthen the muscles, but muscle weakness isn't the issue, its pain in the bone, which I believe is related to the variety of ways they mis-set it so that it no longer bears weight correctly (including the missing shard). I have seen the wrist wraps/taping the wrist but I am unsure as to how that actually provides adequate support--again, not a muscle weakness/atrophic problem, purely a osteo-related thing.

I have looked at (most) of the recent topics and they seem to all be muscular-injury related.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:03 PM   #5
Dean Okazaki

Profile:

Have you been back to a different Ortho about this? I'd check there to see what solutions they may be able to offer.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:08 PM   #6
Samantha Inman

Profile:

I have, although it was awhile ago, probably 6 months or so after the surgery and I had been out of the cast for awhile. He didn't seem to understand the problem; thought it was muscle-related and told me to use the stress balls to build up my muscles in the wrist, work on rotating it and flexing, basic stuff. I wasn't even prescribed actual physical therapy because I'm left handed.

I almost think they re-assembled it backwards--for example, flexing my hand inward on my left hand I can create a 90 degree angle and then probably a 30 degree angle flexing outward. The opposite is true about my right; I can't even make a 30 degree angle flexing inward, but outward I can almost bend my hand back onto my forearm.

Last edited by Samantha Inman : 01-19-2011 at 02:11 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:36 PM   #7
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

I can't help with the hand thing, but can you do pushups with a perfect pushup or pushup handles? I guess you could even bear crawl with them although I might use my wrist as a reason do do something else in that case.

You might be able to do them as knuckle or wrist pushups too.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:29 PM   #8
Samantha Inman

Profile:

E'splain these concepts of knuckle/wrist push ups, por favor....
Old 01-20-2011, 07:59 AM   #9
Steven Low

Profile:

Have you seen a physical therapist about this?
Old 01-21-2011, 08:51 PM   #10
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha Inman View Post
E'splain these concepts of knuckle/wrist push ups, por favor....
knuckle pushups make a fist (actually 2) get in the pushup postition with your weight on the big knuckles, push up.

wrist probably better called fingertips hold yourself on your fingertips and pushup.