CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 02-06-2011, 01:49 PM   #51
Robert Callahan

Profile:
Re: Interview with the future UFC MW champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Payne View Post
....As far as LHW, I think Jon Jones is the future there and he reminds me of an Anderson that can wrestle... future looks good!

Jon Jones looks like a bigger version of Anderson Silva. The way he stalks guys, and how his whole body looks loose with everything moving different directions. Makes it so he can strike from many directions but also hard to hit since there are multiple parts of him moving different directions. Body type wise as well. Both Silva and Jones are freakishly lanky for their frames!!! Anderson is 6'2" with a 6'6" wingspan, Jones is 6'4" with a 7' WING SPAN!!!!!

Both are amazing counter strikers, and incredible submission grappler's. And both just look like they are in different leagues when they fight.

And as to Anderson vs wrestlers, I agree that is his weakness but the Sonnen fight was a little skewed because Anderson was hurt going into the fight and so not 100%. I think that contributed to Chael being able to take him down. Not saying Anderson hasn't struggled against wrestlers in the past, but I don't know if assuming any good wrestler could do that to him when he is 100% is realistic.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:40 PM   #52
Troy Becker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R O'Dell View Post
Have you looked at the guy? He's big. Watch his fight with Forrest again, he's every bit as big. What do you think he walks around at? 200?
I was guessing the 20-somethings, but 220 is quite a bit more, I don't know. Maybe he cuts the fat THEN the water? 40lbs is a lot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Callahan View Post
Not saying Anderson hasn't struggled against wrestlers in the past
You mean like when it took him more than 1 round to choke out Dan Henderson?
Old 02-06-2011, 03:36 PM   #53
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

I'm telling you, he's a big guy. He walks around at a high weight.

And Jon Jones cuts a lot of weight. I have a friend that's a big MMA-geek who's convinced Jon Jones will be a heavyweight someday. Jones has even made comments that the weight cut is tough on him.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:05 PM   #54
Tanner Duncan

Profile:

Jones vs. Shogun is very interesting.

Silva vs GSP doesn't do it for me. I think GSP is too small.

Silva should get the winner of Jones/Shogun.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:25 PM   #55
Celio Silva

Profile:

Anderson Silva truly is the best fighter in the world.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:20 AM   #56
Aaron Evans

Profile:

If Silva walked at the same weight as Forrest---he'd have to cut nearly 60 pounds to fight at 185. Forrest walks around (before cutting weight) at nearly 245. I heard Forrest fought Saturday at close to 225. I could see Silva being in the 220's, but any heavier---it would affect his fighting.
Also, look at the weigh in's---compare Silva (at 185) and how his body looks to Forrest (at 205) and how his body looks. Silva would be a walking mass of pure muscle if he weighed anywhere NEAR Forrest. There is no way Forrest could get down to 185 without hurting himself.
As far as them looking the same when they fought---if they both cut to 205 for a fight, they are only going to gain so much of that weight back in that 24hrs before fight time.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:42 AM   #57
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanner Duncan View Post

Silva vs GSP doesn't do it for me. I think GSP is too small.
Yep.

Just because the fans want it - it is stupid.

GSP would be an idiot to take that fight. Silva is much bigger than GSP. GSP walks at around 188-192#, cutting to 170# for fights.

I think Silva walks at 215# IIRC... which is why he looks pretty soft when he fights at LHW, and more fit when he fights at 185#.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:21 AM   #58
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Evans View Post
If Silva walked at the same weight as Forrest---he'd have to cut nearly 60 pounds to fight at 185. Forrest walks around (before cutting weight) at nearly 245. I heard Forrest fought Saturday at close to 225. I could see Silva being in the 220's, but any heavier---it would affect his fighting.
Also, look at the weigh in's---compare Silva (at 185) and how his body looks to Forrest (at 205) and how his body looks. Silva would be a walking mass of pure muscle if he weighed anywhere NEAR Forrest. There is no way Forrest could get down to 185 without hurting himself.
As far as them looking the same when they fought---if they both cut to 205 for a fight, they are only going to gain so much of that weight back in that 24hrs before fight time.
I'm talking about height and body size. Not walking around weight.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:08 AM   #59
Aaron Evans

Profile:

@Jason: Didnt you say: Silva walks around at heavyweight. He cuts a lot to get to 185. He's the size of a 205er. Did you seem him against Forrest? Last night Joe Rogan talked about how Forrest was big for a 205er and him and Silva were about the same size, Silva was only 2 inches shorter.
Now you say: I'm talking about height and body size. Not walking around weight.
While I do agree with you that he is in the 205 range---my point was, he's not as heavy as Forrest.
Anyway, I agree with the "I dont get GSP v. Silva" thing. Silva doesnt have much to gain from a win where a guy moved up to his weight class to challenge. Now, put Silva in with the winner of Jones/Rua---that will solidify Silva as P4P (as if he needed to do any more).
Old 02-07-2011, 12:56 PM   #60
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Yes they were the same size. Close in height and body size. But Silva does walk around at heavyweight: 215-225. So yes, that is correct. He may not walk around as heavy as Forrest, but he does walk around at heavyweight.
The whole point was to say: he's not a small guy. Just look at him up against a big guy. There isn't much difference there.