CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-08-2010, 12:54 PM   #11
Tamara Cohen

Profile:
Re: Whats your take on the Zone Diet

The Zone is nonsense.

Eat real food. It's that easy.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:04 PM   #12
Thomas Green

Profile:

Old 12-09-2010, 09:53 AM   #13
Corey Wright

Profile:

Just remember on the Zone, you can have five fries, not six, but five.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:12 AM   #14
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Wright View Post
Just remember on the Zone, you can have five fries, not six, but five.
And if you don't count your almonds, it will throw the entire thing off. (even though the zone ignores the protein and carbs in almonds)
Old 12-09-2010, 10:16 AM   #15
adam adkins

Profile:

Q: What is your take on the Zone Diet?

A: It sucks.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:21 AM   #16
Karl Steeves

Profile:

Two years (even a year) ago, the answer would have been "Zone is the end all, be all of nutrition". It's funny to see how things change to rapidly. I tried the zone, I thought it was great. I lost weight, I had more energy and I slept better. But it wasn't the zone that necessarily did that for me, but just eating real foods in good portions. I do that now without weighing everything and still get the same result from non zone friendly meals. Go figure.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:26 AM   #17
Justin McGinley

Profile:

It is a great way to loose weight, and sadly, for many people it's a great way to get neurotic about your eating habits. I'd much rather see someone eat meat, veggies and good fats all day long than break out a scale and obsess over their portion sizes.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:36 AM   #18
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

Yep. I agree with what everyone else is saying about zone.

Eating mostly paleo has been a ton easier than trying to weigh or measure anything. I know I'm done eating because I'm full. I know when it's time to eat again because I get hungry. And I know what to eat because my body tells me, "I feel like some more veggies" or "Yummy bison roast". And in general I just try to get the amount of veggies on my plate equal to the amount of meat.

And If I want to gain weight I just add a bunch of dairy. If I want to lose it I just cut out the dairy.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:11 PM   #19
Thomas Green

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Steeves View Post
Two years (even a year) ago, the answer would have been "Zone is the end all, be all of nutrition". It's funny to see how things change to rapidly. I tried the zone, I thought it was great. I lost weight, I had more energy and I slept better. But it wasn't the zone that necessarily did that for me, but just eating real foods in good portions. I do that now without weighing everything and still get the same result from non zone friendly meals. Go figure.
Maybe Sears was in cahoots with HQ trying to make some money? I will say, the "results" of their athletes using the zone was quite impressive, although I'm sure many of the stories were fabricated or misleading...
Old 12-09-2010, 01:27 PM   #20
Rene Forestier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Steeves View Post
I think the Zone has merit in that it teaches one what "good portions" are. I followed Paleo/Zone for about 18 months following my Level 1 in '06. I was pretty convinced by the testimonials of Nicole C, and especially Rob Miller (the Zone was only discussed as a by-the-way). It was through the Zone that I learned roughly what a serving of meat or a serving of veggies should be (I always used fruit to supplement the veggies to get my carb blocks in...I wasn't a fan of 15 cups of broccoli).

I did evolve away from the Zone, but I often keep in my mind what a serving of steak or hamburger should be. The 40/30/30 is a great frame of reference TO START, especially for someone who has no clue about portion control, but I do agree that most people will have to adjust macro proportions depending on indiv diffs/activity level, etc.

Last edited by Rene Forestier : 12-09-2010 at 01:30 PM.