CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-07-2010, 06:35 AM   #11
Darryl Shaw

Profile:
Re: Diet at 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Gregory View Post
Im 17, 6'1 and about 160 on good day.
Ive been trying to figure out the right diet to help me gain weight but muscle weight and not just flab. There are so many different methods to use like driking whole milk or different supplements, im not sure what to do.

A normal day for me is:
Breakfast- 2eggs, 4peices turkey bacon, fruit, coffee
snack- almonds or cashews and dried fruit
lunch- big turkey sandwich, apple, nuts and fruit, protein bar
snack- turkey, apple and peanut butter
workout
protein powder
dinner- whatever mom makes, but i stay away from pasta, potatoes and starches like that

I know people say since im 17 i can eat whatever i want, but i have a hard time thinking that what i eat now wont affect me in the long run.
Let me know what you guys think?
You don't need any kind of special diet to gain weight and build muscle, a regular healthy balanced diet will do the job just fine providing you're eating enough calories. You can find lots of good information about healthy eating along with some recipes you might want to try at www.mediterrasian.com.

I'd also add that most of what you read about nutrition on the internet is wrong so if you're worried about how what you eat might affect you over the long term you should ask Santa for a copy of The Complete Guide to Sports Nutrition by Anita Bean for Christmas.

*All links wfs*
Old 12-07-2010, 08:02 AM   #12
Allen Tluczek

Profile:

Eat everything. Everything. I'm 10 years older, same height, and 25# heavier, and still skinny. From your post, I eat about twice as much as you. Don't diet. Eat what your mom cooks, go back for seconds. Eat it now while its free.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:31 AM   #13
Joe Bernard

Profile:

In addition to the Starting Strength recommendation, two other good programs for adding weight and strength are Crossfit Football (http://www.crossfitfootball.com/ wfs) and Crossfit Wichita Falls (there's a thread in the fitness forum about it, titled "A Simple, yet Effective Strength and Conditioning Program"). Either one will get you where you want, provided you eat enough, just pick one and stick with it.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:40 PM   #14
Nick Gregory

Profile:

Thanks for all the help, im going to do what yall say and eat until i can eat anymore... then eat some more. I plan on sticking with crossfit main site wods as well as crossfit football wods. Hopefully i will see gains in weight and strength in a few months.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:24 PM   #15
Benjamin Wheeler

Profile:

Quote:
Thanks for all the help, im going to do what yall say and eat until i can eat anymore... then eat some more. I plan on sticking with crossfit main site wods as well as crossfit football wods. Hopefully i will see gains in weight and strength in a few months.
Nick, if the plan is weight gain. DO NOT OVERDUE THE TRAINING. If you simply increase your caloric intake, then go do more wods, you could potentially be back to square one. If you want to add substantial size and keep some overall GPP, use CrossFit Football. Long met-cons are not conducive for developing strength and size. Goodluck.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:09 PM   #16
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Quote:
+1 to what Benjamin said. Ditch the mainpage workouts and switch to a more strength-baised program with some conditioning (CFFB, CFWF, etc) or a sole strength program (SS, 5x5, etc). People have done the GOMAD route with doing just mainpage stuff and only got fat. You need to do more strength work to put the extra calories to use in building muscle, doing high reps of anything is not going to help in this case.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:33 PM   #17
Nick Gregory

Profile:

That makes sense, and Crossfit Football looks pretty intense. Can i go back to the main site wods after i have reached the weight i want? Is Crossfit Football more strength gain focused?
Old 12-07-2010, 09:19 PM   #18
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Quote:
That makes sense, and Crossfit Football looks pretty intense. Can i go back to the main site wods after i have reached the weight i want? Is Crossfit Football more strength gain focused?
Do whatever you want, just make sure to not stay on mainpage while gaining weight, it will not be as useful as a strength and conditioning program or pure strength program. Yes CFFB is more strength focused and you can scale the daily WOD to your current strength level. Do the Amateur Strength WOD, it follows a linear progression and you will get much stronger provided you are eating and sleeping enough. The strength stuff is on mondays, tuesdays, thursdays, and fridays, with metcons being on those days too plus saturday. You do the SWOD then rest 5-10 minutes before doing the DWOD. I am doing CFFB mon, tues, thurs, and fri, and not saturday, because it is more than enough for me and I am trying to gain weight and strength as well.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:56 AM   #19
Nick Gregory

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bernard View Post
Do whatever you want, just make sure to not stay on mainpage while gaining weight, it will not be as useful as a strength and conditioning program or pure strength program. Yes CFFB is more strength focused and you can scale the daily WOD to your current strength level. Do the Amateur Strength WOD, it follows a linear progression and you will get much stronger provided you are eating and sleeping enough. The strength stuff is on mondays, tuesdays, thursdays, and fridays, with metcons being on those days too plus saturday. You do the SWOD then rest 5-10 minutes before doing the DWOD. I am doing CFFB mon, tues, thurs, and fri, and not saturday, because it is more than enough for me and I am trying to gain weight and strength as well.
Thanks for the help, this is all starting to make more sense. One question, what is the difference between the SWOD and the DWOD? Im guessing strength wod and daily wod but im not sure where to look? Does this mean cffb amateur strength wod and then cf mainsite wod?
Old 12-08-2010, 06:00 AM   #20
Nick Gregory

Profile:

Sorry i just figured out what you meant, I see the Strength WOD on the side of the CFFB page. Again, thanks for all the help.