CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-11-2010, 03:37 PM   #1
Brett Webster

Profile:
Question Using Starting Strength while competing in a sport.

Hello all. I am fairly new to CF and need the communities advice. The reason I got into Crossfit was because I play Ultimate and wanted to gain fitness to help out with my game. From an athletic point of view, Ultimate requires similar fitness as Soccer (because you run a lot) and basketball (because you need agility and crazy jumping skills). For those that don't know, ultimate basically involves throwing a frisbee to your teammates until you eventually catch the disc in the endzone when you score.

I have been playing Ultimate for about 2 years now. Over the summer, I was playing Ultimate about 5 times a week, I played for the club team in the Dallas area, and I gradually worked CF into my program after hearing about it. At the present point in time, Ultimate is about to slow way down after a big tournament next weekend, so it looks like a good opportunity for me to work on my fitness. After next weekend, I will have to go to two 3 hour practices a week plus the occasional weekend long tournament, because I am one of the captains for the club team at UTD where I go to school. I was thinking the SS program would be really good for me right now, but I have a couple of questions.

To me, it seems okay to do both ultimate and SS. I guess what is boils down to is this. Will I still see the significant strength gains that Rip describes even though I am playing ultimate 6 hours a week? I will make sure to get my gallon of milk a day and 5000 calories and all that good stuff, but I want to make sure that I will still see strength gains. The reason I ask is because Rip makes a big deal about doing his program and not doing anything else, which is cool, but there is absolutely no way I can stop playing Ultimate. Also, after I gain a decent level of strength (say 700-800 on the CFT), and then gain back my conditioning, will I have significantly more (noticable) jumping abilties, sprinting speed, agility and overall awesomeness on the field than I do now? Right now, my current stats are...

M/145#/5'11"/19
-Squat 165#
-DL 215#
-Bench 135#
-Fran(65# Thruster) 5:14
-Cindy: 15 Rounds as Rx

I guess I am just asking this so that I can get reassurance that I won't be overtaxing my body and recovering enough for strength sessions, and so that I can get reasurance that strength training is a good idea for my purposes. Thanks for the responses.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:40 PM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Using Starting Strength while competing in a sport.

You'd have a hard time recovering from your SS workouts if you're running around for an extra 6 hrs per week. Since your strength numbers are fairly low you'll be able to survive on novice effect gains for a while but eventually it'll get to be too much.

I would just pick a CF affiliate that does strength work every day and follow their programming for 3-4 workouts a week.

Also, you're 5'11" and 145lbs. Eat everything in sight.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:19 PM   #3
Brett Webster

Profile:

Thanks a bunch for the quick reply. I guess I am underestimating the stress that SS will put on the body. Would something like CFFB be what you would recommend for my training? If that's the case, on days that I have practice, should I still do the Strength and Daily WOD, or should I skip the WOD and just do the strength training and practice?
Old 09-11-2010, 04:48 PM   #4
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

CFFB has in-season and off-season workouts, which might solve the problem nicely.

Assuming the programming matches your goals, which it might not. If I remember correctly, Ultimate requires a lot more running and a lot less contact than (American) football.

Katherine
Old 09-11-2010, 07:48 PM   #5
Brett Webster

Profile:

Katherine, you are right, Ultimate is supposed to be non-contact, although there is some contact that involves putting your body in the way of the man your guarding. However there is no pushing or tackling of any sort. Basically, my biggest question right now is this. Will a focus on strength increase my absolute speed, vertical jump, and agility to the point that I can sacrifice conditioning temporarily so that I can make significant strength gains? Thanks again for all your replies.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:29 PM   #6
Sean Rooks

Profile:

I'm going to go against the grain and say that you could make a good bit of progress on SS while playing ultimate. You simply aren't strong enough yet to have real difficulties recovering from doing both. once your squat is up to 250 you may have to find a balance between the two or move onto CFFB, but for atleast a while you could manage both.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:48 AM   #7
Chris Mason

Profile:

You are better off following a standard CF regimen.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:22 AM   #8
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Webster View Post
Katherine, you are right, Ultimate is supposed to be non-contact, although there is some contact that involves putting your body in the way of the man your guarding. However there is no pushing or tackling of any sort. Basically, my biggest question right now is this. Will a focus on strength increase my absolute speed, vertical jump, and agility to the point that I can sacrifice conditioning temporarily so that I can make significant strength gains? Thanks again for all your replies.
Yes, bigger numbers on your squat/deadlift/power clean will increase your sprint speed and vertical jump. They won't do much for your agility. Depending on how much weight you gain, you'll probably see some loss in your ability to do the stop and go sprint repeats for an extended period of time. I'm going to repeat my earlier recommendation that you follow an affiliate's programming, preferably one with near-daily strength work, rather than SS. SS is designed to get you stronger by lifting, eating, resting, and doing little else.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:16 AM   #9
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Basically, my biggest question right now is this. Will a focus on strength increase my absolute speed, vertical jump, and agility to the point that I can sacrifice conditioning temporarily so that I can make significant strength gains?
My opinion: no.

Better off doing some basic CF program like Chris suggested, or doing explosive/plyometrics type stuff (olympic lifting, box jumps, explosive gymnastics movements, etc)
Old 09-13-2010, 10:50 AM   #10
Ramon Gomez

Profile:

Quote:
Brett,
I use CFFB, and most of the folks in my gym use it. I recommend it to folks who want to get big and powerful. It doesn't sound like that's your need.
I would suggest you look into CrossFit Endurance, or stick with main site. CFE will increase your absolute speed while still working your conditioning, and treats running as a skill to be learned and mastered.