CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-28-2010, 02:08 PM   #11
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:
Re: Starting Strength Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole Perryman View Post
How do you personally overcome the mental aspect of it? I am having a lot of problems with this right now.
If you are eating enough you will see gains almost like magic. The time when I mostly had mental issues was when I thought I might not be eating enough. So eat more

Also you kind of have to just suck it up and realize that if you don't put all you have into it you are more likely to get crushed than if you do. If you deflate at the bottom of a rep you will definitely get crushed. So focus on form and being aggressive...be be aggressive.

To the OP. I rested exactly 10 minutes. It takes awhile if you do it this way, but I didn't want to miss one just because I didn't wait long enough.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:15 PM   #12
Nicole Perryman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Haxmeier View Post
If you are eating enough you will see gains almost like magic. The time when I mostly had mental issues was when I thought I might not be eating enough. So eat more

Also you kind of have to just suck it up and realize that if you don't put all you have into it you are more likely to get crushed than if you do. If you deflate at the bottom of a rep you will definitely get crushed. So focus on form and being aggressive...be be aggressive.

To the OP. I rested exactly 10 minutes. It takes awhile if you do it this way, but I didn't want to miss one just because I didn't wait long enough.
That's what my trainer keeps telling me- you gotta be aggressive! It's weird because I am not a shy scaredy cat type person, and rarely get intimidated by anything, but there's just something about that measly little extra weight that causes me to stumble, and it really ****es me off.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:06 PM   #13
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

For my wife it helped to think about taking her big breath to start, chest out, and then think about driving with her hips at the bottom. It takes your mind off of just thinking about the crushing weight and puts it on form.

Also making sure you have pins in the rack to dump on helps, or a good spotter(s), or feel comfortable bailing.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:40 PM   #14
Rob St. Croix

Profile:

Try intentionaly dumping the weight once with just a little weight, like say 135lbs. Prove to yourself that if you really need to, you know how to drop it off your back and safely walk away. I use bumpers when I squat at home by myself and if I can't get up, I just drop them and move forward.

Also, you need to do warm up sets before you working sets. They not only warm you up, but it helps you remember your form and build confidence before your brain turns to thinking about other things like, "Holy **** this thing is freaking heavy!"

Both at the Barbell Cert and in SS, Rip states that if you don't have time to do the warm-ups sets, then you don't have time to work out.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:24 PM   #15
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
How do you personally overcome the mental aspect of it? I am having a lot of problems with this right now.
Not sure, haha.

I've never been in this situation. WODs don't mess with me like this. As soon, as I hear 3-2-1-Go, I am in the zone. Even, maxes don't mess with me like this.

But, for my 5x5s, at this point, every set is a PR. On Sunday, I have to squat 5x5x165lbs. I've never squatted 165lbs. Ever. Not even for 1 rep. So, a lot of it just is that I HAVE seen ridiculous gains, and this is a ton of weight for me.

I spend a LOT of time warming up, especially with deadlifts. For me, the second set always the worst. Once I get done with that, I think "Okay, next set is number three." Because I know once I get through the third set, I only have 10 reps left.

Dumping isn't an issue for me. I'll fight a rep to the very end, and I know how to bail and bail well. So, that part doesn't freak me out at all.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:32 PM   #16
Dustin Standel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Gann View Post
As the weight gets heavier you'll need more rest inbetween sets. You follow the program until you legitimately cannot continue linear progression after a couple of resets.

legitimately = no form issues, you're eating enough, you're sleeping enough and you're resting enough between sets.

If you are LEGITIMATELY missing reps in consecutive workouts after a couple of resets then you're ready to move onto something different.

What are your lifts, weight, age, and goals ?
I'm 35yo, M. My 1RM Deadlift is 275#, I power cleaned 145# for one for 3 rounds for a WOD at the box last week but missed an attempt at 155# (I had more on the 145 so I think I could have gotten 150#). My 1RM squat is 205# (I've gotten more weight but develop form issues, haven't attempted recently, but have been keeping the weight lower [165-180#] to work on form). Bench 1RM is 205# (Haven't attempted recently). Press: 95# for 3X5 with about 2 min rest.

Weight: 190#.

Goal: 1000# Crossfit Total. I have a long way to go.

I'm in the Navy so my sleep patterns are by no means constant, my workout equipment underway is severely limited, but eating is never a problem.

Also, another question, how often should I be undertaking a WOD while working the SS program? I have heard 3 CF sessions and 2 SS sessions a weeek thrown out as well as a number of other ideas.
My Workout Log Box Jump-36"; Deadlift-335; Clean and Jerk-150; Split Jerk-155; Weighted Pullup-20; Squat-245; Press-140; Bench-210; 3RM Thruster-145; DT 22:43 (105#)
Old 07-28-2010, 07:29 PM   #17
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

If you are doing SS then crossfit sessions will only hold back your strength gains. If you are doing them to keep from losing metcon then that's fine but know that your gains are being hampered.

That said, my SS was more like do crossfit during the week and do SS sessions on the weekends. It can work but you need to eat like crazy and/or probably do GOMAD.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:35 PM   #18
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
But, for my 5x5s, at this point, every set is a PR. On Sunday, I have to squat 5x5x165lbs. I've never squatted 165lbs. Ever. Not even for 1 rep. So, a lot of it just is that I HAVE seen ridiculous gains, and this is a ton of weight for me.
Yeah. We're doing a 20-rep squat program at my box. Twice a week, 20 reps (plus warmup) and done, add five pounds each workout. The first few weeks were easy, but now I'm starting to close in on my old PRs, and it's starting to mess with my head. It doesn't help that I've been fighting shoulder tendonitis and haven't been doing much other stuff -- nothing to keep my mind off it.

Katherine
Old 07-29-2010, 02:07 AM   #19
David Lane

Profile:

Quote:
I know this feeling!

Its when I dip under the bar and take the initial weight that I remember just how much the next minute is gonna suck
Old 07-29-2010, 03:25 AM   #20
Patrik Tomasson

Profile:

Tamara/Jamie

Thanks for the feebback. Appreciated.

I play a 90 minute game on a saturday, and a 60 minute game on a sunday and thursday. And yes Ive recently started failing reps even post deload etc

does 5x5/3x5 full body just not lend itself to soccer?

My legs feel contantly sore from all the squatting. I wondered whether 531 might suit me better because less intense?

thanks

Patrik