CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-29-2010, 01:52 PM   #61
Tamara Cohen

Profile:
Re: What's so dumb about curls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Júlíus Magnússon View Post
This would be a little easier to believe if your avatar hadn't always been you taking a picture of yourself in a bikini.
I did say that I enjoy looking good. I just don't CF for the purpose of looking good. And, I also posted plenty of pics on the forums of me in underwear before I looked like this . I never had any reason to believe that I would end up with this body because of CF.

My bikini avatar serves a purpose. People read my log. I get a ridiculous number of PMs because of it. Same thing with my bikini pics on Facebook. There are about 30 people who are CrossFitting and/or eating clean because of my pics...or from seeing me in a bikini or a sportsbra or whatever in person. If that is what gets people to put down the box of Girl Scout Cookies and get off their @ss, then so be it. Because of pics of me in my ridiculous gold sports bra and gold boy shorts, I now have a group of stay at home moms training with me at the park once a week...for free.

The people who have trained or competed with me know how it is. Everyone else can believe what they want. I've trained for almost 6 hours in the last 3 days. It's not to look good. It's because I plan to kick @ss at Regionals. It's because I want my bodyweight clean and jerk and my muscle up. And, I'm going to do all of those things...and not because I give a about my abs.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:13 PM   #62
Stephanie Walters

Profile:

Frankly, if Tamara wasn't hoin' it up in a bikini constantly, I never would've realized she existed. Obviously, she put that avatar up to lure me in and subsequently inspire me to kick some serious butt.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:25 PM   #63
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie Walters View Post
Frankly, if Tamara wasn't hoin' it up in a bikini constantly, I never would've realized she existed. Obviously, she put that avatar up to lure me in and subsequently inspire me to kick some serious butt.
And, you totally beat my @ss in that HPC and burpee WOD.

My bikini is the reason you will qualify for Regionals next year. Well, that and the one pound ankle weights. You should probably throw some curls in just in case they come up in a WOD...
Old 04-29-2010, 04:37 PM   #64
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
I did say that I enjoy looking good. I just don't CF for the purpose of looking good. And, I also posted plenty of pics on the forums of me in underwear before I looked like this . I never had any reason to believe that I would end up with this body because of CF.

My bikini avatar serves a purpose. People read my log. I get a ridiculous number of PMs because of it. Same thing with my bikini pics on Facebook. There are about 30 people who are CrossFitting and/or eating clean because of my pics...or from seeing me in a bikini or a sportsbra or whatever in person. If that is what gets people to put down the box of Girl Scout Cookies and get off their @ss, then so be it. Because of pics of me in my ridiculous gold sports bra and gold boy shorts, I now have a group of stay at home moms training with me at the park once a week...for free.

The people who have trained or competed with me know how it is. Everyone else can believe what they want. I've trained for almost 6 hours in the last 3 days. It's not to look good. It's because I plan to kick @ss at Regionals. It's because I want my bodyweight clean and jerk and my muscle up. And, I'm going to do all of those things...and not because I give a about my abs.
Alright, alright.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:07 PM   #65
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Júlíus Magnússon View Post
Alright, alright.
I knew I liked you, Julius .
Old 04-29-2010, 05:42 PM   #66
Tony Black

Profile:

Seriously i really dont get the "OMG HE WORKS OUT TOPLESS/WITH A TIGHT VEST THEREFORE HE MUST BE DOING IT ALL PRIMARILY FOR THE LOOKS" argument.

Thats just a load.

When i go topless its either because its so b@strd hot ill take any fraction of a percentage advantage thatll get me cooler. Or its because my movement is hindered....

Examples in other sports -

http://www.dicts.info/img/ud/athlete.jpg <=WFS

http://www.insidegymnastics.com/cont...nuis%20web.jpg <=WFS

Gymnasts, track athletes, OL lifters can often be said to be performing in "skimpy" attire. Do you think therefore they put in the years of work PRIMARILY to "look good"?

Or maybe its because less clothes = more freedom less hinderance and greater performance?

Just because some1 looks good and works out in with less then normal clothes =/= there doing it PRIMARILY for looks.

No doubt more then a few of those athletes have looks and health as motivating factors - human vanity being what it is. But i doubt youll find much traction saying there all motivated to look good a mirror.

Its that same competitive drive which CF taps into. And hey guess what - people STILL look good with it!

Looks are a fantastic "secondary" effect. Does it keep me awake at night being more muscular and in shape then the average bloke? Hell no. But to extrapolate from that my primary motivation is "looks" is balderdash.

Looks ARE in there, even for me But there just ONE factor.

And besides ive seen as most here have noted - form follows function and ability....

Last edited by Tony Black : 04-29-2010 at 05:47 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:18 PM   #67
Ian Nigh

Profile:

yes, arm-wrestling forces extreme adaptation at the elbow joint, is more functional that curls, and deff. more bad-***!
Old 04-30-2010, 07:26 AM   #68
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

It may be, but what if you don't have a training partner? ANd how do you apply progressive overload? Good arm wrestling coaches (arm wrestling is fairly technical) are hard to come by.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:39 AM   #69
Thomas Green

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Nigh View Post
yes, arm-wrestling forces extreme adaptation at the elbow joint, is more functional that curls, and deff. more bad-***!
True, but how exactly do you go about doing that? If a guy came up to you at the gym and asked to arm wrestle, how'd you react?

I don't think I've arm wrestled since I was 10 lol
Old 04-30-2010, 08:06 AM   #70
adam adkins

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Black View Post
Seriously i really dont get the "OMG HE WORKS OUT TOPLESS/WITH A TIGHT VEST THEREFORE HE MUST BE DOING IT ALL PRIMARILY FOR THE LOOKS" argument.
I don't say that at all. I say, "OMG HE WORKS OUT TOPLESS/WITH TIGHT VEST THREFORE HE MUST BE A ******."

EDIT: Who knew a Summer's Eve product would get edited?