CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-15-2006, 06:11 PM   #1
Ross Hunt

Profile:
In the sport of crew (rowing), taking full strokes from a stand-still is not the fastest way to accelerate a boat. So if you don't want to start eating your opponents' dust--or, as the case may be, their wake--from the very beginning of a 2 kilometer course, you have to do a racing start.

A racing start consists of a series of incomplete strokes to accelerate the boat--a half stroke which begins with the back already perpendicular to the water and is basically just an abbreviated leg drive, a three-quarters stroke which has just a bit more back, and finally eleven full strokes performed for speed rather than power.

Today it occured to me that since I usually spend more than 5 seconds of my 20-second tabata interval just getting up to speed. What a waste! This afternoon, instead of performing full strokes, I tried starting with a half stroke or two and performing three quarters strokes for the rest of the interval. I tacked about 10-13 meters on to my first four tabata erg intervals.

After that, my times crashed by about 10 seconds due to poor conditioning (emphasis has been on oly-lifting recently), but I still held times better than my usual average by performing three-quarters strokes.

Does anyone else use racing starts for their tabata erg intervals? How does it work for you?
Old 03-15-2006, 09:06 PM   #2
Don Stevenson

Profile:
I've been wondering about this too but haven't had a chance to test it out.

Of course i'm not even sure if my "racing starts" are correct but i'd be interested in hearing what the better rowers have to say
Old 03-15-2006, 10:06 PM   #3
Ross Hunt

Profile:
There's a start at about 60 seconds on this video:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...97341&q=rowing