CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-16-2010, 11:42 AM   #11
Suzanne Campbell

Profile:
Re: Since You Guys Are Always Wondering About Sport Carry-Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Mattes View Post
If die-hard Crossfitters--Crossfitters who started with Crossfit and have always used it as their primary method--aren't winning the Crossfit games, what does that say about Crossfit?

Can't imagine this ever happening. In my opinion, someone (like me) with no athletic experience of any kind prior to CF would have zero chance to compete with those who were competitive athletes in their teenage years. Just read the athlete profiles-I can't think of one person I've seen that didn't have a solid background in sport before CF. There may be someone-as I recall Laura DeMarco has stated that she didn't have an athletic background. But I may be wrong about that...
Old 03-16-2010, 11:58 AM   #12
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne Parton View Post
Can't imagine this ever happening. In my opinion, someone (like me) with no athletic experience of any kind prior to CF would have zero chance to compete with those who were competitive athletes in their teenage years.
I tend to agree, but there are people who are competitive Crossfitters in their teen years. Those folks should, theoretically, have an advantage over competitive athletes with backgrounds in other sports.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:08 PM   #13
Adam Acosta

Profile:

A 14 year-old girl won the intermediate division of the OC throwdown back in January and honestly wasted everyone else competing in that division. I'm sure it'll be four or five years before she has any honest shot at competing in the open rxd divisions, but it'll be interesting to see how she does starting that young and actually being competitive from a young age. I want to say her name is Valerie Calhoun. One of the women she beat there only missed qualifying for the regionals by one spot (she was 21st at the SoCal sectionals).
Old 03-16-2010, 12:09 PM   #14
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Acosta View Post
A 14 year-old girl won the intermediate division of the OC throwdown back in January and honestly wasted everyone else competing in that division. I'm sure it'll be four or five years before she has any honest shot at competing in the open rxd divisions, but it'll be interesting to see how she does starting that young and actually being competitive from a young age. I want to say her name is Valerie Calhoun. One of the women she beat there only missed qualifying for the regionals by one spot (she was 21st at the SoCal sectionals).
14? Does she also play organized sports at school and train for those or is her only athletic endeavor and background Crossfit?
Old 03-16-2010, 12:31 PM   #15
Thomas Kelley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
I tend to agree, but there are people who are competitive Crossfitters in their teen years. Those folks should, theoretically, have an advantage over competitive athletes with backgrounds in other sports.
True, but if a kid is kicking @$$ in crossfit then it's likely his natural talents would tend to pull him to other, more mainstream, sports.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:39 PM   #16
adam adkins

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
I disagree to a certain extent. If a teen is competitive at a reasonably high level at any other sport their training should include strength training, oly lifting, interval running, and metabolic conditioning. These are all the skills needed to compete at a high level at crossfit.

Sure, one with a background in crossfit has an advantage over one without a background on a given wod but that advantage is short lived once the one without experience becomes acclimated, which will occur very quickly.

Crossfit is not like team sports which require a the participant understand the many nuances of the game (basketball, football, soccer). In these sports the only way to understand the nuances is to log long hours playing the game. Crossfit has no such nuances. Any athlete, particularly those with power and oly backgrounds, can become competitive very quickly.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:56 PM   #17
Adam Acosta

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R O'Dell View Post
14? Does she also play organized sports at school and train for those or is her only athletic endeavor and background Crossfit?
I have no idea.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:21 PM   #18
Michael Henry

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam adkins View Post
I disagree to a certain extent. If a teen is competitive at a reasonably high level at any other sport their training should include strength training, oly lifting, interval running, and metabolic conditioning. These are all the skills needed to compete at a high level at crossfit.
I guess I agree...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Henry View Post
This seems to be the attitude that CrossFit invented everything that it programs. Collegiate level athletes who rely on explosiveness probably do many things with high intensity. In that case, they've been doing 'CrossFit' for awhile.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:16 PM   #19
Craig Finnigan

Profile:

I agree that any young athlete who happens to excel at Crossfit would probably be "pulled away" to a more promising sport. Promising in terms of long-term opportunities (college scholarship, professional leagues, etc.).
But there's no reason their training regiment couldn't still be Crossfit or something very similar (Crossfit Football anyone?).
I wouldn't be surprised at all to see, year after year, the winner of the Crossfit Games are people who compete in other sports, instead of solely Crossfitting 365. Isn't that the point of Crossfit anyways, to get better at things that aren't Crossfit?
Old 03-16-2010, 02:20 PM   #20
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Finnigan View Post
I wouldn't be surprised at all to see, year after year, the winner of the Crossfit Games are people who compete in other sports, instead of solely Crossfitting 365. Isn't that the point of Crossfit anyways, to get better at things that aren't Crossfit?
Isn't that even part of the *definition* of Crossfit?

"Regularly learn and play new sports."

Katherine