CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-29-2009, 09:08 AM   #21
Miguel Vasquez

Profile:
Re: Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Travis View Post
you want to lose 20lbs but want to take a PH?? doesnt make too much sense to me... Most people taking PH are trying to pack on 20lbs...
I've actually cut weight while on cycle at time. Depends on what compound your taking.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:16 AM   #22
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Vasquez View Post
I beg to differ or at least I need to find the precise caloric intake needed to find the proper balance between the strength gaining and weight maintenance, along with finding the proper foods that need to be consumed for optimal performance besides eating Paleo style.

Take 9 fish oils daily. Workout 3 on 1 off and sometimes 2 off 2 on. Depends on how I feel. I push my self to the gym. Try to absorb and and to implement as much education on Crossfit as I can in the gym and by other sources.
Why not give SS a go and just eat for maintenance? Two guys at my gym did it and both saw increases. One of them, who was already pretty strong to begin with, didn't gain a pound yet increased his lifts. Not sure about his squat or press numbers, but he can deadlift 525lbs and he's like 6'4.

Last edited by Joe Bernard : 12-29-2009 at 09:18 AM.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:38 AM   #23
Miguel Vasquez

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bernard View Post
Why not give SS a go and just eat for maintenance? Two guys at my gym did it and both saw increases. One of them, who was already pretty strong to begin with, didn't gain a pound yet increased his lifts. Not sure about his squat or press numbers, but he can deadlift 525lbs and he's like 6'4.
What is that?

Teach.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:56 AM   #24
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
True, I know here also. So, that is the reason I am kinda swayed to do so. I'm not genetically gifted to be able to lift as much as them. I would like to be as strong as them, without adding extra unneeded weight.
Your lifts are not yet in the range where genetics are likely to be the limiting factor.

Katherine
Old 12-29-2009, 10:34 AM   #25
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

The google is weak with this one

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=SS+site%3Ahttp%...rossfit.com%2F

WFS
Old 12-29-2009, 10:37 AM   #26
Mauricio Leal

Profile:

Quote:
True, I know here also. So, that is the reason I am kinda swayed to do so. I'm not genetically gifted to be able to lift as much as them. I would like to be as strong as them, without adding extra unneeded weight.
Seriously, are you aware what the records are for the lifts you're referencing?

Quote:
Ht. 5'6" wt. 199 lb.

Need to get down to 180 lbs.

300 lbs Back Squat
145 lbs Press Strict
405 lbs Deadlift
Here are the googly records for raw (no PEs, no equipment) powerlifts (wfs) at your ideal weight:
BW Lift
Back Squat 181# 650#
Deadlift 181# 791#

You're at 46% of WR status for your back squat, 51% for your DL. Now, it may be arguable where genetic limits fall exactly, but I'd venture a guess that they're well above 50% of what the most talented athletes have done, and probably more likely in the 70-80% range for even the mechanically disadvantaged athlete (tall, skinny, hard gainer), which you're not. Besides, as soon as you start PEs comparison to those numbers becomes invalid and now you're competing against the fully juiced guys squatting 900#.

Now, if you're just impatient and want results faster, well I suppose that's a fair reason but the risks are there and PEs aren't going to matter if you're not diligently following a good training program. If you're just looking for an easy way to be super strong you'll be disappointed because you still gotta bust *** to get there.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:43 AM   #27
Miguel Vasquez

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauricio Leal View Post
Seriously, are you aware what the records are for the lifts you're referencing?

Here are the googly records for raw (no PEs, no equipment) powerlifts (wfs) at your ideal weight:
BW Lift
Back Squat 181# 650#
Deadlift 181# 791#

You're at 46% of WR status for your back squat, 51% for your DL. Now, it may be arguable where genetic limits fall exactly, but I'd venture a guess that they're well above 50% of what the most talented athletes have done, and probably more likely in the 70-80% range for even the mechanically disadvantaged athlete (tall, skinny, hard gainer), which you're not. Besides, as soon as you start PEs comparison to those numbers becomes invalid and now you're competing against the fully juiced guys squatting 900#.

Now, if you're just impatient and want results faster, well I suppose that's a fair reason but the risks are there and PEs aren't going to matter if you're not diligently following a good training program. If you're just looking for an easy way to be super strong you'll be disappointed because you still gotta bust *** to get there.
Thanks for the info much appreciated.
True eye opener.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:45 AM   #28
Miguel Vasquez

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
The google is weak with this one

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=SS+site%3Ahttp%...rossfit.com%2F

WFS
LMFAO. U got jokes.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:59 AM   #29
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Check out practical programming by the same author as well. THe second version came out not too long ago.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:36 AM   #30
Thomas Green

Profile:

[quote=Jamie J. Skibicki;716534] If you are going to to do anything do test and an anti E. /QUOTE]

Lesser of multiple evils (for someone over 30) yes

Would I recommend it? No way

Back to the original topic, I really never understood why people try Prohormones. Basically the same stuff as steroids, harsher on the liver, and less is known about the side effects. Why risk all that for a few extra pounds on your squat?