CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-22-2009, 11:50 AM   #1
Walker Fenz

Profile:
Is my Zone ratio werid?

I started CF six months ago. At my height (5'4'), weight (118), and BF (23%) I am a 11 or 12 blocker per the Zone. I was strict Zone for some time and lost 6 pounds down to 116. I am now back up to a 118, and rising? Not sure, time will tell, not really concerned about the scale. Progressing in the box quite nicely, so I'd assume at some point I'd have to put on (lean, i hope) weight. Anyway, about 2-3 months in, I went 90% paleo and now just eat when I'm hungry: breakfast, lunch, PWO shake, dinner, and a snack in there.

Out of curiosity today, I imputed a typical day (not much variety in my diet) I came up with about 1800 calories:

163g protein (23 blocks)
112 carbs (12 blocks)
74g fat (49 blocks)

A few questions, noting that my goal is to lean out a bit more (without sacrificing performance, or i'm ok to be static for a bit) then at 20% BF I can maintain.

1) I am at 5 times fat which is ideal for maintainance, but should I drop it a bit for now?
2) I didnt realize my protein was so high - regardless of my goals, is that too high?
3) The calories seem pretty low, honestly surprised I'm not starving. Guess it's all the fat. But I'm still thinking thats pretty low?

Thanks for any input.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:45 PM   #2
Laura Kurth

Profile:
Re: Is my Zone ratio werid?

1. sure if you want to lose weight, eat less dietary fat. You need to reduce your kcal somehow
2. too high, well it's more than you need. Probably won't hurt you though.
3. there is a lot of room for error when estimating portion sizes, especially on a higher fat diet. Unless you weigh your foods (do you?) you could be off considerably with your 1800 kcal estimate

Really, 118 is a perfectly healthy weight for your height and I'm not sure you need to reduce it further? But if you want to do so, then you'll just have to eat a little less. Replacing some of the fat in your diet with fresh vegetables/fruits might enable you to do so without having to become anal about measuring stuff.

so, if you were going to have a handful of nuts, and instead you ate an apple, you'd cut 100+ kcal. That sort of thing

Or start tracking stuff properly, weighing measuring all that jazz if you want to be more accurate. Really though, at 5'4 & 118#, making gains in the gym and feeling good... I wouldn't advise going that route. Just eat, good food, enjoy your strength gains, don't worry so much.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:30 PM   #3
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Kurth View Post
Or start tracking stuff properly, weighing measuring all that jazz if you want to be more accurate. Really though, at 5'4 & 118#, making gains in the gym and feeling good... I wouldn't advise going that route. Just eat, good food, enjoy your strength gains, don't worry so much.
I agree with Laura. Getting stronger at the same weight will shift your body composition a bit, but I don't think you want the number on the scale any smaller. It might even go up, as muscle is more dense than fat.

1800 calories would be low for me (I'm 5'4", 125), but I do aikido as well as Crossfit so I might be a bit more active than you.

Katherine
Old 12-22-2009, 06:12 PM   #4
Lisa Smalheiser

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker Fenz View Post
I started CF six months ago. At my height (5'4'), weight (118), and BF (23%) I am a 11 or 12 blocker per the Zone.

1) I am at 5 times fat which is ideal for maintainance, but should I drop it a bit for now?
Are you doing 5 times fat with counting your fat blocks at 1.5 grams? Because I'm pretty sure one fat block is 3 grams of fat, so you would only be at like 2 or 2.5 times fat. Correct me if I'm wrong, just not sure why some people only count a block of fat as 1.5 as opposed to 3.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:38 PM   #5
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

On one of obbRay olfWay's podcasts (sorry for using code, wasn't sure if his name is banned now) he said something about how he went back after the fact and counted what Jolie Gentry was eating in a normal day of pre-Games training. Her intake came out to something like 25P/8C/60F per day. Without checking her profile I think her height and weight are pretty similar to yours, so your block numbers aren't too out of line assuming you're fairly active.

If you're making good progress in the gym I don't know that I'd change anything--however if you still think you've got some leaning out to do you could cut a few more carbs in favor of fat.

Also take a look at your carb sources--shifting to less fruits and more vegetables may help, and if you're using dairy as a protein source be aware that the protein in milk and cheese gives a carb-like insulin response so it's not advisable as a protein source for people who are trying to lean out.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:14 PM   #6
Michael Dries

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Smalheiser View Post
Are you doing 5 times fat with counting your fat blocks at 1.5 grams? Because I'm pretty sure one fat block is 3 grams of fat, so you would only be at like 2 or 2.5 times fat. Correct me if I'm wrong, just not sure why some people only count a block of fat as 1.5 as opposed to 3.
Fat is always counted in 1.5 grams. People get tripped up with "3" because of the assumed 1.5 grams of fat in each block of lean protein.

Example, 15p,15c,75f would be 105grams of protein, 135grams of carbs, 225grams of fat (aside from the hidden ~22grams of fat from the protein source). At least that's they way I was taught, if I'm wrong please someone correct me.

Which always confused ME because so many protein sources on the block list are not created equal, takes eggs vs turkey for example. White mean turkey has maybe 1g of fat per 7g of protein, meanwhile a typical large egg is 6g of protein and 4.5grams of fat.

Last edited by Michael Dries : 12-22-2009 at 10:22 PM.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:26 AM   #7
Lisa Smalheiser

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dries View Post

Example, 15p,15c,75f would be 105grams of protein, 135grams of carbs, 225grams of fat (aside from the hidden ~22grams of fat from the protein source). At least that's they way I was taught, if I'm wrong please someone correct me.
That is what I think would be right....75f would be 225grams of fat (3 x 75 = 225).
Old 12-23-2009, 06:48 AM   #8
Jean-Patrick Millette

Profile:

when you have that kind of ratio, i dont see how it is the zone. Eat for performance. Is your performance good right now? How do you feel with that kind of macro? Are you achieving your goal with that kind of macros?

If you answered yes to the 3, keep it. If not, tweak it.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:13 AM   #9
Laura Kurth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Patrick Millette View Post
when you have that kind of ratio, i dont see how it is the zone. Eat for performance. Is your performance good right now? How do you feel with that kind of macro? Are you achieving your goal with that kind of macros?

It's not the zone at all, to even call it that still is silly. The whole premise of the zone is the 7-9 pro-carb ratio... with fat being neutral. So eating 163g protein, 112g carbs and 76g fat is not the zone or anything close to it.

Not that that's a bad thing, since the zone is dumb anyway
Old 12-23-2009, 09:01 AM   #10
Lisa Smalheiser

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Patrick Millette View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Kurth View Post
It's not the zone at all, to even call it that still is silly. The whole premise of the zone is the 7-9 pro-carb ratio... with fat being neutral. So eating 163g protein, 112g carbs and 76g fat is not the zone or anything close to it.

Not that that's a bad thing, since the zone is dumb anyway
true story