CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 12-02-2009, 07:27 PM   #1
Mitchell Brown

Profile:
Preparing for 1km Open Water Swim

I'm doing a 1km open water swim at a Sydney, Australia beach on February 27. I'll have access to open water between now and January 3.

I'm planning on doing the WOD 4-5 days a week and CF Endurance swims 1-2 times a week, in open water until I move, then at an olympic pool.

It sounds pretty straight forward, but I wanted to know if anyone had any comments.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:44 PM   #2
CJ Ryan Harris

Profile:
Re: Preparing for 1km Open Water Swim

Training seems solid, have you attempted anything like this before? Are you taking your diet into consideration?

I'm really not sure what a 1km swim in open water is equal too on the endurance side. You know if someone says a 10km trail run or something like that i have an idea.

I know, I suck at swimming. I would love to get better if I had access to water.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:58 PM   #3
Mitchell Brown

Profile:

It's my first open water swim, which is why I'm only doing 1km. I am able to swim 1km in an olympic pool in around 20 minutes.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:39 PM   #4
Nancy Cohen

Profile:

Get as much open water swim time as possible. It's all about being comfortable in the ocean in all different conditions...glassy or choppy!

In addition to the CFE workouts, be sure to do some 1k swims in the ocean. It's harder an slower than swimming 1k in a pool, so you want to know what that will feel like.

Good luck! Have fun!
Old 12-03-2009, 07:42 PM   #5
Tom Senkevich

Profile:

As said above swim in open water as much as possible. It's a mental game as well, there is something uneasy about not being able to touch ground when necessary.

Also, practice all your strokes, and sighting. Pick and object with your goggles on and swim in that direction. Sighting is what I found most difficult to get used to. If you are swimming crawl, learn to breath on a count, and unlike the pool get your head up and sight when breathing. Even if the water is only slightly choppy you will need to get your eyes above the water line to sight. It takes an extra kick while above water, gets the heart rate moving too.

Once you are back in the pool, continue those same techniques. Side stroke is key if the water is rough, because you can turn your head against the waves to get new air. Also when in the pool, no touching the bottom or the walls. All changing of direction should be done while treading water.

Last, if the water temp warrants a wetsuit, practice in it.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:22 AM   #6
Mark Markley

Profile:

Echo all above, but try to swim in groups with close contact. Open water swims can be VERY chaotic and this can easily lead to panic in novice swimmers. Pack starts in triathlons can be more similar to a rugby scrum than a 10k. I've been punched, kicked, clawed (came out of the water at Ironman Canada with a 6" scratch down my forearm), swum over/under, goggles pulled/knocked off...

If you have any concerns about this, hang back at the start and let the pack get ahead. Like any race, the nose and the tail of the group have the most room, so unless you are gunning for a specific time or place, take it easy in the start.