CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:57 AM   #1
Steve Loeding

Profile:
other certifications - spec. NASM

Has anyone gotten a personal trainer cert from NASM ? Is it a good program ? Where does it rate vs other certifications ? My Police Dept is offering 20% off the program for officers - I am Level 1 Certified, plan on being barbell certified very soon, and just wondering if the NASM will add anything other than letters behind my name...
Old 09-13-2009, 03:08 PM   #2
Mauricio Leal

Profile:
Re: other certifications - spec. NASM

I did my NASM-CPT cert in March. It is my first and only certification so far so I can't comment on comparisons myself, but as far as reputation goes I discovered it is one of the "better" certs out there as far as gyms are concerned. Globo-gyms just love NASM for some reason.

They do take a fairly rigorous scientific approach (lots of citations) towards their program, don't try to extrapolate past it, and paint a decent overall picture that a new trainer can run with, esp. considering how far the theory of training is behind the empirical data. There is a computerized multiple choice test at the end; I think you have to get 70% to pass. It is a joke really, but so are most standardized tests.

It really depends on how much you already know. If you majored in a related field or have been a motivated self-teacher, much of it is probably old news. Nonetheless it is quite useful to see what the current consensus is as far as these organizations go, and compare that to what the pioneers (CF being one) are doing now. I'd say if nothing else it was a decent crash course in exercise biology, which was useful because a lot of self-taught people don't really understand how the body functions/performs work on the cellular levels, and it enables us to answer all the hairy questions that a client could come up with. Other than that, their exercise selection is pretty lame (no olympic lifts and sparse gymnastics), the programming is just common sense on the macro level and way too rigid for the real world on the micro level.

I would consider the NSCA-CSCS cert down the line because I think that most trainers, including myself, have a hackish knowledge of the major lifts (especially how to teach them) and how to program for specific strength goals, and could really benefit from a focused course that really breaks them down. Since you say you're already planning on getting a barbell cert, you're probably good to go in that department. I'd say NASM-CPT is probably not worth it if you've got two other certs under your belt, unless you're really worried about those exercise bio questions from your clients haha (you can learn that stuff online anyway ). Good luck.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:52 AM   #3
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:
Re: other certifications - spec. NASM

Their workout templates make no sense at all. The globogym that I work @ uses them for their trainers. All you do is plug in the clients stats and goal and it'll give you a "customized" workout plan for six weeks. I used them on my clients a bit when I first started and didn't know any better.

For a weight loss person that wants to work out thrice per week it'll give you something like this:

Mon/Fri:
Chest, Back, Shoulders

Wed:
Biceps, Triceps, Legs.

This is the most asinine "split" for most clients. I really don't know why anyone besides a bodybuilder should do curls and tricep extensions. And just the whole thought of thinking of exercises based on muscle groups just makes no sense.

It will merely add letters behind your name.