CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 06-12-2009, 07:24 AM   #1
Randy Hill

Profile:
Randy's CFSB log

Hello. I've known about Crossfit since 2003 but have only been doing the WOD since January of this year. That means i'm still pretty damn new! Up until now I never kept a log online, just in a book. I want to keep one on here though, too, to track my progress and hold myself to my goals.

The big thing I am going to have trouble with is sticking to paleo, or close to it. I do not want to zone (no scale, disordered eating, have to eat quickly - deployed in Afghanistan) but I am going to follow the Crossfit prescription for the diet. Some exceptions will be starchy carbs PWO, some sugar free red bull, that sort of thing, but nothing major. I will not be counting calories, just using my eyes and stomach to decide how much and when to eat.

Right now I am on the second week of CFSB and am already seeing improvements in all of my lifts.

My stats: m/19/6'4"/170#

I'd post my times for my workouts but I don't have my log on me right now and frankly I think I am too new for it to matter because they will change so much as I progress.

My first entry will be tomorrow! It's Press day on CFSB.

Last edited by Randy Hill : 06-12-2009 at 07:27 AM.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:45 PM   #2
Randy Hill

Profile:
Re: Randy's CFSB log

CFSB Week 2 Day 6 - Shoulder Press 5x3

W/U - Squats, Pull-ups, Walking, Press 45x5, 65x5
S1(95)-5
S2(100)-4
S3(100)-3
S4(100)-FAIL
S5(95)-3

Shoulder Press 1x15 S1(85)-6, then had to drop weight to 65, did 8 more.

Really bonked on the presses today. Was going to do 3x5 but obviously adding 5 lbs made it so I was only able to do 4, so went down to 5x3 but was still unable to complete all of the sets! My shoulders are really on fire.

Metcon: 3 rounds for time of: #95 Thruster x5, 10 Pullups, 10 Dips

Time: 10:40

Once again, really was NOT in the zone today. I had to do some jumping pullups (still trying to get the kip down properly) but I did do an extra thruster or two. It's not really like me to modify a workout in the middle of it but today was just weird.

Hopefully I can break through the press next time!

As far as my diet goes, I am doing pretty well. Breakfast was 4 fried eggs, a bowl (about 2 cups) of oatmeal, and one banana. The oatmeal is my only real obvious exception to paleo. Not that I am zoning, but just for kicks I looked up how many blocks that was. It was 4 blocks of protein, and 9 blocks of carbs. Right now for recovery is dried fruit, some nuts, and some jerky. Planning on eating lunch in an hour or two and will report at the end of the day how my first full day of paleo went.

Tomorrow is a day off and I am hoping my body can recover enough for Monday. I am contemplating adding bench press to my Back Squat 5x3 day, or possibly switching completely to CFFB since bench press is pretty common there. It is possible that my next workout (on the 15th) will be CFFB.

Last edited by Randy Hill : 06-12-2009 at 11:53 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:56 PM   #3
Randy Hill

Profile:

I have a quick question for anybody reading this: I have been reading threads about fish oil dosage but have not found anything conclusive. I am currently taking Kirkland brand natural fish oil concentrate. It says 1000mg capsules w/ 300mg EPA/DHA. It does not specify how much of each. How many capsules should I be taking a day? I took 2 with breakfast and just took 2 post workout.
Old 06-13-2009, 04:09 AM   #4
Randy Hill

Profile:

Was bored just sitting around so I did the CFE WOD. It was 3x 5 minute interval runs for max distance. For each round you went less distance than the last ones, you do 2 min. max set of burpees. I fouled once on the last round and went to go accept my punishment. Well, on the second burpee I got a crazy dull pain on both sides of my left knee. To be honest, it was more in the quadricep than the knee itself. Overuse, possibly? Not sure but I skipped the burpees. Hopefully it will resolve itself by my next workout.

I think cramp describes the feeling more accurately. Thankfully when I squat down regularly now there is no pain. Drinking lots of water, taking fish oil, and eating. Time to REST!

Last edited by Randy Hill : 06-13-2009 at 04:13 AM.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:11 AM   #5
Harley Jennings

Profile:

Randy,

You with the 82nd? What does P.O.C stand for?

Random thoughts. I'll keep checking your log man and interested to see how your lifts come along. You CONUS right now?

CFSB will get you where you want to be. Just keep your goals first and foremost. If it is get strong, then remember that and try to fight the urge to do extended METCONS and CFE work. These will only slow down your progress.

Keep your METCONS short, and focus on your ME lifts. With enough Cals, and rest, you'll grow.

Best of luck, I'll be lurking!
M/27/5'10''/200lbs/13%BF BS 365#/ SP 205#/ DL 425#/ BP 345#/ PC 235#/ FS 265#/ CJ 225#/ THR 225#/ Liz 6:11/ Murph 39:00My Log
Old 06-14-2009, 05:14 AM   #6
Randy Hill

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley Jennings View Post
Randy,

You with the 82nd? What does P.O.C stand for?

Random thoughts. I'll keep checking your log man and interested to see how your lifts come along. You CONUS right now?

CFSB will get you where you want to be. Just keep your goals first and foremost. If it is get strong, then remember that and try to fight the urge to do extended METCONS and CFE work. These will only slow down your progress.

Keep your METCONS short, and focus on your ME lifts. With enough Cals, and rest, you'll grow.

Best of luck, I'll be lurking!
No, I am a Marine and I am currently deployed to Kandahar. Thanks for keeping up with my log! It's good to know that other people are reading it. I will update frequently.

POG stands for "People Other than Grunts", and generally refers to people in jobs like mine (data communications). It's kind of a negative term when someone else calls you it, but it's one of those things you can laugh about within the group.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:38 AM   #7
Harley Jennings

Profile:

Oh ok, I am familiar with POG, I read it as POC.

Well good **** Marine. I am in Iraq right now so I feel your frustration with keeping a set diet and eating on the fly.

The nutrition thread is very mainstreamed. Don't let it get to you. If you want grains, eat them man. Few people understand the energy requirements of being a Soldier/Marine. We not only eat to work out, we eat so we can complete our mission keeping the free world safe.
M/27/5'10''/200lbs/13%BF BS 365#/ SP 205#/ DL 425#/ BP 345#/ PC 235#/ FS 265#/ CJ 225#/ THR 225#/ Liz 6:11/ Murph 39:00My Log
Old 06-14-2009, 06:49 AM   #8
Randy Hill

Profile:

Hey, thanks for the motivating words!
Old 06-14-2009, 10:34 PM   #9
Randy Hill

Profile:

CFSB Week 3 Day 1 - Back Squat 3x5

w/u= a few pull ups, squat (pushing the knees out with the elbows at the bottom really helps), 45x5, 95x3

S1(135) - 5
S2(145) - 5 *PR!* (+10#)
S3(145) - 5

I'm really stoked about adding more weight to my squat. Admittedly, I have never done true linear progression before and I feel a great sense of accomplishment. Hope to add even more weight next time around.

Metcon - 3 rounds for time of:

#95 Deadlift x3
#95 Hang Squat Clean x3
#95 Push Press x3 (struggled with these)
#95 Front Squat x3

Followed by 3 rounds of (clock still running):

3 Pull Ups
6 Push Ups
9 Squats

Did this two times.

T1- 6:21
T2- 7:15

Gymnastics/Skill Dev - Worked on kipping pull ups (almost got it!) and hang snatch.

Weighed in at 165# at the gym. Assuming I lost a lot of water weight from no starchy carbs for 2 days.

Last edited by Randy Hill : 06-14-2009 at 10:46 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:52 AM   #10
Randy Hill

Profile:

Switching the routine up a little bit because of my work schedule this week..

Instead of: squat-deadlift-off-metcon-front squat,SP, off i am doing

squat-metcon-deadlift-off-front squat, SP, off

So then..

Metcon: Run 5k

Time - 21:42(treadmill)