CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-21-2009, 01:41 PM   #11
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: What is GPP ??

The only people I can think of that think of GPP as just metcon are strength and power athletes. In that case it makes sense, sort of. Other than that GPP includes strength and power.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:57 PM   #12
David Meverden

Profile:

CF's standard (or to be more specific, 3rd, which has been adopted over their previous two) definition of fitness is work capacity over broad time and modal domains but I think General Physical Preparedness is better summed up by CF's second definition of fitness: the hopper, which Chris was getting at. The hopper, of course, is about being as prepared as you can be for any of an infinite number of possible physical challenges (and if what comes out of the hopper is "pick up this big *** rock" you've gotta be strong, as Jamie was alluding to).
Old 04-21-2009, 02:04 PM   #13
Kevin Cox

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Whitley View Post
I disagree. But whatever...
Ron Burgundy: Discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it San Diego, which of course in German means a whale's v*****.
Veronica Corningstone: No, there's no way that's correct.
Ron Burgundy: I'm sorry, I was trying to impress you. I don't know what it means. I'll be honest, I don't think anyone knows what it means anymore. Scholars maintain that the translation was lost hundreds of years ago.
Veronica Corningstone: Doesn't it mean Saint Diego?
Ron Burgundy: No. No.
Veronica Corningstone: No, that's - that's what it means. Really.
Ron Burgundy: Agree to disagree.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:22 PM   #14
Louis Hayes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
... but I think General Physical Preparedness is better summed up by CF's second definition of fitness: the hopper,...The hopper, of course, is about being as prepared as you can be for any of an infinite number of possible physical challenges (and if what comes out of the hopper is "pick up this big *** rock" you've gotta be strong....)
The hopper mentality is great. Figure out which opponent (figuratively: skill or modality) will do you in, and prepare. Find the "holes in your game" and address them. Get good at that which you suck. Get better at that which you are good. Learn new skills. Be not only a survivor, but a winner!

For me, it was (and is) programming in more MetCon. I practice swimming, kayaking, biking, running on sand, stair climbing, hill sprints. Not to mention all the inside gym stuff. I find that learning new skills and sports is critical to being ready for the hopper. Bring it!!

I also like taking the GPP approach beyond physical fitness: having a survivor/winner mentality about all of life. When the hurricane, or tornado, or blizzard, or flood, or war, or earthquake, or fire takes away all you have....what are you left with?? How about non-fitness skills like:
  • cooking over raw fire
  • camping, hunting, fishing
  • compass navigation, topo map reading
  • wilderness skills
  • fighting, using weapons
  • (self, buddy) medical skills
Anyone else expand their GPP beyond merely physical fitness?
Old 04-22-2009, 01:28 PM   #15
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

GPP in the fitness sense is generally defined as a generalized program intended to perpare the athletes for any all physical requirements they might face in the upcoming season. AKA "Crosstraining"