CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-24-2009, 12:29 PM   #41
Frank Dennis

Profile:
Re: Mental Fitness - Better beliefs

As far as CrossFit goes, it's the belief of others which sometimes makes me push harder when I think I can't keep going.

I want to excel, I like a challenge, I'm competitive; I have a lot in common in this regard with people who've already posted and with CFers in general, I suppose. When I'm dying during a WOD, and part of me wants to slow down, I'll get even more determined, and push as hard as I can because I don't want to quit, I don't want to feel weak, I want to rise to the challenge. Sometimes, that doesn't quite do it.

Then I think about how a great many of the people in the world view me, or at least view guys like me. I'm ***, so apparently I'm supposed to be less of an athlete, aren't tough, aren't strong, won't be able to post as good results on the WODs as the "real men" in the gym, and certainly could never be a cage fighter. I realize this isn't a view shared by all, and it's not shared by anyone I actually train with, but it's shared by people in the world at large, particularly in the place I grew up and even in the city where I live.

That attitude makes me furious. And then I push even harder, because I cannot allow them, even for one moment, to be right.

This response is not lost upon the trainer at ForgedFit; during yesterday's WOD (95lbs SDHP + ring dips, 10 reps, 7 rounds) I started to slow at one point; I hadn't had much sleep the night before, I wasn't as focused, and I let myself be OK with stepping back from max effort, thinking "well, just get it done, there's always tomorrow."

"Guess I'll have to get you a pink tiara," he says.

I have to make it clear at this point, the guy is totally cool and not at all a bigot, he just knew what would push my buttons, and I thank him for knowing how to most effectively kick me in the butt.

I finished with one of the best times in the gym.

I suppose this doesn't seem as positive a vibe as some of the other posts here, but to me it is. I don't know that it helps anyone else, unless there's another Family member reading this thread, but I would think the ladies can relate to this kind of thing, or anyone who wasn't particularly athletic in their youth, or anyone who people just expect you not to be strong. But yeah, what works for me is proving everyone who doesn't know me, or even know I exist, that they're wrong about me.

I like to think it's one of the most useful things I can do with my anger

(Question for the Mods; why does the word in common usage for describing my sexual orientation get enasteriskated? I'm hoping it's to prevent its usage as a generic replacement for words like "lame" and "stupid," which is something that makes me almost as furious as the aforementioned ignorant attitudes...)
Old 02-24-2009, 06:23 PM   #42
John Alston

Profile:

I believe strength is the fundamental.
I believe high rep dead lifts and high rep oly lifts are poor choices for strength conditioning (however I believe the occasional high rep squat set is worthwhile, if there's weight on the bar).
I believe fitness can't be measured objectively without respect to a task.
I believe, that while vomiting during competition happens, vomiting during training is the result of poor programming.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:23 PM   #43
Ryan Lynch

Profile:

Thanks Frank! Great addition to this thread.

-Ryan
Old 02-25-2009, 12:11 AM   #44
Gavin Harrison

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Dennis View Post
(Question for the Mods; why does the word in common usage for describing my sexual orientation get enasteriskated? I'm hoping it's to prevent its usage as a generic replacement for words like "lame" and "stupid," which is something that makes me almost as furious as the aforementioned ignorant attitudes...)
Aside: There have been multiple threads in the "community" section attempting to discuss sexual orientation. They all failed to be civil and discussable. So, if you read the rules, orientation is a banned topic on this forum. Nothing against anyone, it's just been shown that like religion, it should not be discussed here.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:39 AM   #45
Frank Dennis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
Aside: There have been multiple threads in the "community" section attempting to discuss sexual orientation. They all failed to be civil and discussable. So, if you read the rules, orientation is a banned topic on this forum. Nothing against anyone, it's just been shown that like religion, it should not be discussed here.
If it's relevant to the conversation, I won't fail to acknowledge who I am. I'm not a coward and other people's ignorance is not my problem. So far, I haven't had any problems.

If you'd sent that to me as a PM, it would have been an "aside." Here, I have to respond.

But I do understand what you're trying to say.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:24 AM   #46
Gavin Harrison

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Dennis View Post
If it's relevant to the conversation, I won't fail to acknowledge who I am. I'm not a coward and other people's ignorance is not my problem. So far, I haven't had any problems.

If you'd sent that to me as a PM, it would have been an "aside." Here, I have to respond.

But I do understand what you're trying to say.
Just trying not to threadjack

Posting it in the thread is more to let everyone who might be confused know, instead of just you.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:27 AM   #47
Frank Dennis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
Just trying not to threadjack

Posting it in the thread is more to let everyone who might be confused know, instead of just you.
Fair enough. Back to the topic at hand.

</thread diversion>
Old 02-25-2009, 12:00 PM   #48
Liam McKarry

Profile:

Sometimes when the little guy doesn't know he is a little guy, he can do great big things.