CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-10-2003, 10:56 AM   #1
Mike Minium

Profile:
I have a question for the more learned CrossFit practicioners out there. I'm still fairly new to CrossFit (I'm starting my 4th week of WODs) and still learning about some of the concepts.

My question has to do with today's WOD (Monday, 3/10/03), run 5k for time. I've noticed that over the last month or so we've had 3 WODs that put you squarely in the oxidative phase (the third phase, or pathway, that is discussed in the October 2002 CFJ), without touching any of the first 2 phases (we had a 10k run WOD a while back and we had a "pick your worst" WOD--run, bike, swim, or row).

If one of the points of CrossFit is to eliminate, or at the very least, reduce your exposure to, the oxidative phase, why do we have WODs that focus solely on this phase? Is it because these types of WODs come up so infrequently that it's not an issue, and that there isn't a catabolic effect because of the infrequency of these workouts? Is it some sort of validation of CrossFit (that you don't have to train solely in the oxidative phase to become strong in that area)? Something else?

This is a great site and a great discussion board. I'm extremely pleased with the results I'm getting so far (and I still have a long way to go). I think the training philosophy that CrossFit espouses is outstanding. I just have this lingering question in the back of my mind that comes up whenever I see these oxidative-phase-only WODs.

Thanks,

Mike

Old 03-10-2003, 11:23 AM   #2
Chris Longley

Profile:
Hi Mike,
Crossfit is all about core fitness so i'd have thought that these WODs are in place to broaden the stimuli further so that the body is well equiped to deal with unpredictability and a range of fitness skills.
Another aspect may be to also show the athlete that their endurance will have improved through the mainly anaerobic conditioning that crossfit uses.

Its a good question that i've often wondered - this is the best i've come up with so far. Any other, better informed opinions would be great.

Cheers

Chris
Old 03-11-2003, 10:49 AM   #3
Derek

Profile:

Hey Mike,
I think I can sum this up fairly easily; we are not anti-oxidative phase just anti-repetitive oxidative. With repeated exposure to long bouts of aerobic training one tends to take on some of the more, how shall I say, Ethiopian like characteristics!

Well put Chris

Old 03-11-2003, 02:31 PM   #4
Mike Minium

Profile:
Chris/Derek,

Thanks for answering my question(s)--I appreciate it.

Mike