CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-02-2008, 10:47 PM   #21
Wes Palmer

Profile:
Re: "The Pump"

All I can say is have your friend do it for a month 100% all in, and then make a decision

Last edited by Wes Palmer : 10-02-2008 at 10:49 PM.
Old 10-03-2008, 04:20 AM   #22
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Hold on guys, I love pushups, I miss-typed. Meant I'd rather do ring dips and pushups instead of bench.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:05 AM   #23
Ian McArdle

Profile:

Low reps and high strain is generally the best way to get stronger but it does not cause as much growth as higher reps. The CNS can only become so efficient; at some point the best way to increase strength will be to increase muscle size so you have the greater potential to create more strength.

You also have to take CNS fatigue and overtraining into account with continual high strain low rep training, which is less of an issue with higher reps, plus the increased chance of injury and what just happens to work best for the individual. My strength seems to increase best using 5s or 8s rather than singles and triples.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:59 AM   #24
David Sumner

Profile:

Is the pump the muscles full of lactic acid feeling? I only feel that after a very quick burst type of workout that finishes in under 5 minutes. The last time was a 10, 8, 6, 4, 2 deadlift w/ 225lbs with a 200m run after each set. Finished in 4:57 sat down and I felt a wave of lactic acid fill up my legs and back. The other time I felt this was right after bottom to bottom tabatas.

Is the pump he is talking about is the sensation caused by lactic acid buildup. Lactic acid buildup is caused by your body producing more lactic acid than your muscles can consume. Lactic acid is an energy source used by your muscles. The more your muscles are exposed to high levels of lactic acid the more mitochondria are grown in your cells to process it. The upside of this is your cells increase capacity to do work because more mitochondria exist to create energy for your cells. Part of the reason a seasoned Crossfitter is insanely powerful and able to maintain such high intensity when a normal person would implode.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0420235214.htm

The Crossfit formula optimizes this potential to increase endurance by increasing anaerobic capacities. A workout like Fran comes easier to those with high anaerobic capacity. If you don't have it you end up with a 10+ minute Fran time, if you do a sub 5, sub 4, or even sub 3 Fran is reached.

Last edited by David Sumner : 10-03-2008 at 09:15 AM.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:18 AM   #25
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

"The Pump" is dumb. Have your friend do a true 20RM squat so he'll shut up. He'll never crave the pump again. (Yes, 20RM squats are my solution to everything)

As for the friend who prefers bodybuilding, CF might not be for him - but chances are, the basic SS protocols WILL help him attain his goals (stronger/faster/bigger/whatever). Get him to do 3 sets of 5 across for a month, and he'll put 10-20 pounds on his bench, press, and a bunch more on squats, deads, etc. If he can't correlate that increased strength is the key to eternal happiness, he's a lost cause. The positive aspect of this? One more guy in the pec deck instead of the squat rack.

And for anyone who wants to gain "size," don't make it complicated! Just eat more and make sure you're putting more weight and reps on the bar every time you touch it. Done. I'm gonna go drink some more milk.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:26 AM   #26
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bedell View Post
I am never doing another curl in my life! lol I think chin-ups would be better. And I'd rather do ring dips then bench and pushups.
Curls aren't the devil. Worshiping biceps might be. There's nothing wrong with throwing in a couple sets of curls, just don't have an "arm day."

And bench press makes you stronger and builds upper body mass. Ring dips and pushups are awesome. But bench can be, too.

<--- A former curl hater. Now I'm doing about 12 sets of curls a month and noticing gains. I'm man enough to admit that I'm girly enough to want 18" arms, and they ain't gonna happen on their own.
Old 10-05-2008, 01:06 AM   #27
Alex Europa

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian McArdle View Post
Low reps and high strain is generally the best way to get stronger but it does not cause as much growth as higher reps. The CNS can only become so efficient; at some point the best way to increase strength will be to increase muscle size so you have the greater potential to create more strength.
This is true, but how many people here (or in general) are even close to reaching the point where their strength is truly limited by their size? When I see guys like Bainbridge, who weighs in at a burly 170-lbs, pull over 500-lbs off the floor, I tend to step back and wonder if I really need to gain more weight or if I just need to man up and lift heavy $#!7.

Not to mention that the size one typically gains from a traditional BB rep scheme is mostly sarcoplasmic, which does not aid in force production at all.

- Alex
Old 10-05-2008, 05:01 AM   #28
Ian McArdle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Europa View Post
This is true, but how many people here (or in general) are even close to reaching the point where their strength is truly limited by their size? When I see guys like Bainbridge, who weighs in at a burly 170-lbs, pull over 500-lbs off the floor, I tend to step back and wonder if I really need to gain more weight or if I just need to man up and lift heavy $#!7.

Not to mention that the size one typically gains from a traditional BB rep scheme is mostly sarcoplasmic, which does not aid in force production at all.

- Alex
I'm sure very few people are right at their potential for their size, but once you have got over the initial quick gains, strength increases at the same BW tend to slow right down IME. Adding a bit of muscle mass can help speed that up quite a bit. If you don't have a problem with some extra BW and max strength is your main aim then why not?

No additional force production is a myth IMO. Why else have weight categories in sports? You think superheavyweight powerlifters and weightlifters ONLY use heavy singles and triples? No way, it's too much CNS strain. Westside's conjugate method is probably the most well-known example; they only use 2 heavy lifts a week and have plenty lifts in the medium-high rep range. If you use medium reps and increase your press from 100lbs for 8 reps to 150lbs for 8 reps then you've got stronger haven't you!
Old 10-05-2008, 06:14 AM   #29
James Russo

Profile:  

man
Old 10-05-2008, 07:54 AM   #30
Trey Morgan

Profile:

alright, i don't really care about "the pump" but the very first time i did "Lynne" i had the craziest "pump" i've ever had!!! i thought i might bust a blood vessel!!! just wanted to add that, hahah
M, 34, 152lb, DL-405, Squat-265, Press-150, Bench-245, Cindy-30rds, Fran- 3:10