CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-26-2008, 05:50 AM   #81
Bonny Guang

Profile:
Re: Some info on Bryan Clay

30 seconds is not a small amount of time.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:09 AM   #82
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

At the end he fell to the ground in exhaustion, maybe, that was the best he could do at the time, intensity is a relative thing.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:19 AM   #83
Scott Borre

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D Taylor Jr View Post
At the end he fell to the ground in exhaustion, maybe, that was the best he could do at the time, intensity is a relative thing.
Even if he can run 30 seconds faster, running a 5:05 is no easy thing. But I bet he could have gone faster had he needed to to win the gold. I have no issues with how he ran the race.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:10 AM   #84
Tom Rawls

Profile:

Remind me who won the gold medal.

Would he have gotten a second medal for running faster?
Old 08-26-2008, 09:57 AM   #85
Stephen Flamm

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Garrisonq View Post
Here are the results at the NJCAA Outdoor nationals.http://www.directathletics.com/lists/track/144_340.html These were the top Juco 1500m runners in the nation last year. The best of them were only 30 seconds faster than Bryan Clay. So I doubt most of the high school girls runners in your state or at your school were running alot faster than Bryan Clay.
Actually, the fastest time was 3:37, right? That's almost 90 seconds faster. Sorry to pick the nit.

Regardless, a gold is a gold. No decathlete reasonably looks to win all ten events, so there will inevitably be weaker areas for each athlete relative to the others.

Last edited by Stephen Flamm : 08-26-2008 at 09:59 AM.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:16 AM   #86
Lewis Dunn

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Flamm View Post
Actually, the fastest time was 3:37, right? That's almost 90 seconds faster. Sorry to pick the nit.
The claim was about "high school girls." The best women were about a minute slower than the best men.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:58 PM   #87
Sarah Scholl

Profile:

He is a sprinter! a fast twitcher...Bolt cant run a good marathon, but he holds the world record in the 100, 200! give BC a break! muscles are HEAVY
Old 08-26-2008, 09:13 PM   #88
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Dunn View Post
The claim was about "high school girls." The best women were about a minute slower than the best men.
Exactly. The best JuCo runners in the nation were running that. But if you look at the bottom of the list they are only running 30 seconds faster than Clay, and that's without doing 9 other events. My point is that the average high school miler isn't probably running faster than Clay, since the average JuCo female isn't running much faster, since the best are only 90-30 seconds ahead.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:07 PM   #89
Emil Berengut

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Europa View Post
You keep saying that, but I don't buy it. We are all physiologically the same being. There are obviously minute differences in the ways that we react to macronutrients and the like, but at the end of the day, we're all humans.

Someone like Bryan Clay doesn't just wake up one day and realize he's a great athletes. Which means that he was - at one point - just like everyone else. Yes, someone like Bryan needs more calories to maintain his level of training, but where he gets the majority of them from shouldn't be very different than me, you, or our grandparents.

- Alex
no but that moment happens very very early in an elite athlete's life. I started crossfit when I was 27, I am 33 now. I don't care how many times I work out or what diet I follow, I am not getting even close to an olympian's level of fitness. I also think it's important to look at results and realize that there's more than one way to skin a cat.The guy got a GOLD medal in decathlon, that's about as good as it gets when it comes to sports. People have been getting great functional results without following a particular fad diet with hard work and eating sensibly. I seriously doubt that the vast majority of elite athletes all over the world know or follow the zone or paleo or whatever the next thing is going to be. It doesn't stop them from getting gold. As Stacy-Ann Frazer stated during her interview when she won the women's 100, she eats yams(a different root in Jamaica akin to white potato, boiled banana and dumplings(pan fried or boiled biscuits)-not exactly your low glycemic fare.