CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-06-2008, 09:30 AM   #11
Phillip Garrison

Profile:
Re: Some info on Bryan Clay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Europa View Post
Just because he's the best doesn't mean can can't get better. But it is amazing to see what some people can accomplish without great nutrition.

- Alex
How do you know he doesn't folow great nutrition?
Old 08-06-2008, 09:31 AM   #12
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Europa View Post
Oatmeal, rice, potatoes (not sweet potatoes) are generally looked at as very carb dense but lacking in nutrients compared to veggies and fruits. For example, 1/5 cup of rice has the same amount of carbs as 2 cups of broccoli; I'll leave it up to you to decide which is the better choice. Not to mention that hardly anyone eats only a 1/5 cup of rice. Oatmeal isn't necesarily bad, but how many people actually eat REAL oatmeal and not the favored crap?

I hope you're getting some protein with that oatmeal in the morning!

As for learning more about nutrition, if you haven't done so yet, check out http://*************.

- Alex

He needs very dense carbs, the amount of work he does daily requires lots of calorie dense foods. He probably burns between 6,000 and 7,000 calories a day.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:35 AM   #13
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Borre View Post
So its often said.

They do train, but that doesn't mean "working out." If CrossFitters increased how much they worked out, and saw fitness gains, I think that we'd see a greater push from the WOD to be doing more than a sub 15 minute workout, more often.

However, I'd say that a CFE'er who does 3 on 1 off of CF WOD + 4 sessions per week of the endurance workouts would be working out as much, if not more, than a top level decathlete. And would need to be consuming as much, if not more, calories.

Looking at Bryan Clay he definitely seems like he could be leaner. But I'm not an expert. I'd love to see the experts chime in.
You must be delusional if you think the amount of work a CF does, is in comparison at all to a world class decathlete. 3 WOD's plus 4 endurance sessions still isn't near what a world class decathletes does. On top of the actual practice for their 10 events, they do training in the weight room, metcon, plyometrics, speed work, flexibility training, and rehab exercises. They typically are exercising 15-20 hours a week, and i mean exercise, not just casual walking/biking.Then add in the time spent practicing their events which is approximately 2 hours per event per week, so thats another 20 hours a week. On average a guy like Bryan will be doing 30-50 hours of srtuctured exercise a week.

Last edited by Phillip Garrison : 08-06-2008 at 09:42 AM.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:46 AM   #14
Frederic Giraud

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Garrisonq View Post
He needs very dense carbs, the amount of work he does daily requires lots of calorie dense foods. He probably burns between 6,000 and 7,000 calories a day.
Fat isn't caloric dense?
Old 08-06-2008, 09:55 AM   #15
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederic Giraud View Post
Fat isn't caloric dense?
It is, and he probably eats a fair amount of that, but the steady release of carbs into the blood stream, plus replenished gylcogen stores he gets from things like oatmeal are essential to train at his level. Besides, do we actually know how he eats?
Old 08-06-2008, 11:22 AM   #16
Scott Borre

Profile:

Quote:
You must be delusional if you think the amount of work a CF does, is in comparison at all to a world class decathlete. 3 WOD's plus 4 endurance sessions still isn't near what a world class decathletes does. On top of the actual practice for their 10 events, they do training in the weight room, metcon, plyometrics, speed work, flexibility training, and rehab exercises. They typically are exercising 15-20 hours a week, and i mean exercise, not just casual walking/biking.Then add in the time spent practicing their events which is approximately 2 hours per event per week, so thats another 20 hours a week. On average a guy like Bryan will be doing 30-50 hours of srtuctured exercise a week.
First. They don't train each event every day. In fact, they might only do skill training for each event only 2 days a week. (p.s. I indicated 6 WODs + 4 endurance sessions per week).

Second. You can only work too hard before you are fried.

Third. Watch some of their elite training. It isn't that different from the way we work in CF.

Fourth. You can train a lot of hours of very low intensity to improve in skill areas.

Fifth. From my research on it, I think you are a bit off. Check this out - http://www.decathlon2000.ee/eng/training.php?art=1158 & http://www.decathlon2000.ee/eng/training.php?art=1164 &
http://www.athleticscoaching.ca/User...20Training.pdf

(All WFS)

I think you'll find that they really have to balance the amount they train to ensure proper strength, speed, and endurance.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:26 AM   #17
Scott Borre

Profile:

Another interesting article on olympic athlete (from 2004) eating habits.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m..._5/ai_n6110820 (WFS)

and

http://nutrition.arizona.edu/new/spo...ion_cead.phtml (WFS)

Last edited by Scott Borre : 08-06-2008 at 11:40 AM.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:39 AM   #18
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

Quote:
First. They don't train each event every day. In fact, they might only do skill training for each event only 2 days a week. (p.s. I indicated 6 WODs + 4 endurance sessions per week).

Second. You can only work too hard before you are fried.

Third. Watch some of their elite training. It isn't that different from the way we work in CF.

Fourth. You can train a lot of hours of very low intensity to improve in skill areas.

Fifth. From my research on it, I think you are a bit off. Check this out - http://www.decathlon2000.ee/eng/training.php?art=1158 & http://www.decathlon2000.ee/eng/training.php?art=1164 &
http://www.athleticscoaching.ca/User...20Training.pdf

(All WFS)

I think you'll find that they really have to balance the amount they train to ensure proper strength, speed, and endurance.

1.)I never said they train each event each day, they typically train 1-2 events a day, 7 days a week, but they typcially do 2 sessions a day each one between 2-3 hours per session.

2.)Their work capacity is way different than ours, the sooner you realized physcially they have litte in common with you, the better

3.) There is a world of difference between an "elite" cf'r and a silver medalist in the decathlon. the training may be similar in some aspects, but the intensity and volume, pale in comparison to that Bryan does.

4.) Do you have any concept what there training is like, to improve their skills? Low Intensity? Hardly. Imagine doing a sprinting workout 2 days a week, a throwers workout 2 days a week, pole vaulting and then 1,500 meter running a couple days a week, add on top of that weight training, plyometrics, flexibility training, and prehab, and you might get close to how hard they train.

I have actually worked with and helped trained collegiate decathletes, and trust me, the amount of work they do during the preseason is staggering, and they aren't close to Bryans level. 3 wod's and 4 endurance sessions a week is still way below what a world class decathlete does

Last edited by Phillip Garrison : 08-06-2008 at 11:41 AM.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:09 PM   #19
Alex Europa

Profile:

Quote:
How do you know he doesn't folow great nutrition?
Because he said so himself!

Quote:
"My diet consists of a lot of protein shakes and recovery drinks but when I am not throwing down that kind of stuff my wife usually cooks for me. I eat a very light breakfast, maybe a few eggs with a couple pieces of sausage or a bowl of oatmeal. Lunch is usually a sandwich and some fruit, and dinner is usually some sort of vegetables, meat, starch (rice or potatoes), and a little more fruit. Don’t get me wrong though, I do a lot of snacking in between all that and it probably isn’t the healthiest foods."
And protein shakes aren't exactly the greatest "food" choice either. It's a convenience food that doesn't offer the insulin/blood sugar control that solid food does. But like I said, we don't know what his daily schedule is like, if he's super busy (i.e.: doesn't just train), the shakes might be the best choice for him. There are many factors at play for every athlete, but looking at what he listed as his typical diet, I would be SHOCKED if that's what you or any other trainer would suggest as optimal nutrition.

But then again, maybe the secret to success is sauages and protein shakes.

- Alex

PS: And you keep saying 3 WODs + 4 endurance sessions. I just want to point out AGAIN that he said 6 WODs + 4 CFE workouts. I don't have any firsthand experience with decathletes, so I'm not going to get into this portion of the arguement, but it's just annoying when you continuously misquote someone.

Last edited by Alex Europa : 08-06-2008 at 10:20 PM.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:30 PM   #20
Alex Europa

Profile:
Thumbs down Re: Some info on Bryan Clay

Quote:
I'm pretty sure I said that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Europa
My second post wasn't directly related to Bryan Clay's diet, I was merely pointing out what is "wrong" with the listed foods. I agree that would be tough to eat as much as he probably requires through just veggies and fruit alone. Bear in mind though, that with the amount of training they do, the more quality foods they can take in, the better their recovery will most likely be. I've read about more and more top-tier triathletes stating that dropping grains from their diets made a significant difference in their training and performance. Those guys/girls train 25-30 hours per week (although, not with the power/intensity required of a decathlete).
I see you haven't improved your reading comprehension skills since our last little tiff.

- Alex