CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-02-2008, 07:47 PM   #1
Jason Galvan

Profile:
'Angie' and the post-WO sarco/pump

Y'ello!!

a few weeks ago the WOD was Angie (100 pu, push ups, situps, squats) and I must say that what happened after finishing it was unbelievable...

Although my time was nothing stellar (39mins total), I loved just saying I WANTED to do it and could do it. My friends are still in the 'bench press and curl' mentality. The point of my post, though, has to do with the KRAZY 'pump' I had the next day and following week. I didn't recognize my chest and didn't fit most of my shirts! I'm pretty sure that this is known as 'sarco hypertrophy,' correct?? I liked the effect to say the least and from what I've read Steven Low say a little sarco makes it easier to put on more myo by making more room (forgive me if I misquote.)

My main question is that of the few WOD's that I have done in my few weeks starting CF, Angie is the only one so far that I have experienced such an awesome sarco/pump response. What other WOD's have this effect?? I would prefer not to have to do Angie every week, but I do like the feeling. Call it what you want, but I like it and its my body!! lol I read somewhere that Cindy has a similar effect, what other WOD's do too?

for your help and happy crossfitting to all!!
Old 08-02-2008, 08:44 PM   #2
Derek Weaver

Profile:

Re: 'Angie' and the post-WO sarco/pump

I've never experienced that effect, but I would guess than any high rep, full body WOD would do it.

Cindy, if done for enough rounds sounds good. Angie. Fran. Barbara may do the trick.
Old 08-03-2008, 04:06 PM   #3
Patrick Haskell

Profile:

You could also do 5 sets of 8-10 reps of bench press, lat pulldown and leg press, if that's what you're going for.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:02 PM   #4
Chris Salvato

Profile:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhabdomyolysis

Quote:
Most cases of rhabdomyolysis develop as a result of muscle injury or strain, or other external causes (such as medication or intoxication). However, the cause is not always directly evident. Pain, tenderness, weakness and edema (swelling) of the affected muscles may be present. If the swelling is very rapid (such as after being released from a collapsed building), low blood pressure and shock may be present due to depletion of fluid from the bloodstream. Other symptoms are nonspecific and result either from the consequences of the breakdown in muscle tissue, or from the condition that caused the muscle breakdown.[1][3]

Swelling of the damaged muscle occasionally leads to compartment syndrome, the compression by swollen muscle of surrounding tissues in the same fascial compartment (such as nerves and blood vessels), leading to damage or loss of function in the part of the body supplied by these structures. Symptoms of this complication include decreased blood supply, decrease in sensation, or pain in the affected limb.[3]
Possibility of rhabdo.

The only reason i am not 100% convinced this is rhabdo is because u appear to be enjoying this -- which is odd because it usually presents very painful sensations from the muscles in question.

Its certainly NOT hypertrophy in any way. You are suffering from something that is causing swelling, be it Rhadbo or edema....though I am not sure what would cause edema in this case, which is why I am swaying towards rhabdo.

Has the swelling subsided? Did any pain accompany this or come later? Dark urine?

I suggest you see your doc to be safe. Nothing positive should make you swell or "pump" for 24 hours after a bout.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:09 PM   #5
Kevin Mack

Profile:

I don't think it's swelling or rhabdo or anything like that. Sometimes after I do a heavy ab workout my abs tense up a little, almost like flexing. I think that's all it is. That or you have a case of ILS. Either way, I agree...not hypertrophy
Old 08-03-2008, 10:04 PM   #6
Derek Weaver

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Salvato View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhabdomyolysis

Possibility of rhabdo.

The only reason i am not 100% convinced this is rhabdo is because u appear to be enjoying this -- which is odd because it usually presents very painful sensations from the muscles in question.

Its certainly NOT hypertrophy in any way. You are suffering from something that is causing swelling, be it Rhadbo or edema....though I am not sure what would cause edema in this case, which is why I am swaying towards rhabdo.
Has the swelling subsided? Did any pain accompany this or come later? Dark urine?

I suggest you see your doc to be safe. Nothing positive should make you swell or "pump" for 24 hours after a bout.
Don't think he needs to see a doc without any symptoms of rhabdo other than the "pump". I'll notice a little more tightness after a good, full body WOD, not as exaggerated as the OP, but still...

We don't want to get all sensationalist and send people to the doctor everytime they have a semi-abnormal pwo experience... especially when they feel fine.
CYA statement: if you do experience any of the symptoms of Rhabdo, easily found in "Kill Workouts" in the CFJ, go to a doc asap. Not meant to be medical advice.

Last edited by Derek Weaver : 08-03-2008 at 10:07 PM. Reason: cover your "back side" caveat
Old 08-04-2008, 03:20 AM   #7
Steven Anderson

Profile:

No, it's not rhabdo. You're simply getting a fairly decent pump and, depending on the person, depends on how long it lasts. I get the same thing. If I do a workout that requires higher reps of pull-ups, push-ups, air squats, etc, my body goes through a ridiculous time period of hypertrophy, i.e. shirts are tight, pants are tight, etc. Unlike you, I don't particularly care for the look or feel, especially when I spend more of my money on the clothes that I buy. It obviously varies from person to person, but, rhabdo it is not.