CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 07-31-2008, 02:07 PM   #11
Arturo Garcia

Profile:
Re: Please critique my Squat and Deadlift.

Hey Jacob.

I've read a ton of threads from that page, my gosh, there are so many.... A common problem I see Mark Rippetoe refering to (and getting tired of doing so!) is the "leg pressing the weight up" ... from what I have read, he says this when someone's knees slide forward at the bottom?? And he says in this way you use more quad, and not posterior chain. I thought I was smart, but for crying out loud, figuring this stuff out is actually pretty hard. Am I doing the leg press? I cannot notice even after watching all those videos.

I could swear I've read to look up or at least in front. I will try to look down next time I practise squats... or at least keep my head aligned with my torso.

About the leg stuff, we were talking about different things! I thought you meant the way I raised my legs BEFORE getting under the weight, on the 210# rep. You meant shaking my legs while UNDER the weigh! I did that? Oh yeah, I just noticed. I was adjusting my foot stance (distance between them) and outward angle of the feet! I can't seem to get it perfectly correct doing what they advise, to just take one step back with each leg, or two max. I will work on this so I "land" on a more correct stance with fewer steps, so I don't wiggle my legs under the load as you say.

Thanks for the compliment, heh, and I didn't take offense don't worry, if I thought I knew this, I wouldn't have posted this.... I'm now just a bit sad, 'cos it seems I need more help than I thought!

Is contracting the abs a little bit a good way to prevent my hyperextension of the back? I too had noticed I seem to have my whole torso more hyperextended than most people's videos.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:14 PM   #12
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Your knees are sliding foward at the bottom and you are leg pressing the weight back up. You need to get rid of the box as you have found below parrallel depth and no longer need it You need to push your knees out as hard as you can so that your thighs track directly over your feet. You need to not look up but rather a more downward angle maybe 6 or so feet in front of you. If you are having trouble with the knees look down so you can see them, watch them track foward during the first 1/3 of the decent and then stop moving them foward and allow your butt to sink back for the rest of the depth. Do not worry that much about butt wink, you will have a little movement in your lower lumbar/ hips, it cannot be helped and it does not hurt you so do not worry, only major loss of lumbar extension should cause worry. You will need to reduce the weight rather drastically to fix these issues. I also recomend buying Starting Strength as it addresses all of these issues in much greater detail

Keep lifting heavy!

-Robert
Old 08-01-2008, 06:37 AM   #13
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Thank you Robert.

Fellas, I know the "reduce the weight" is a valid comment, but this was my first ever CFT and I wanted to see what kind of numbers I could put up so next time I have a goal to beat or something.

I've learnt a lot from your critiques and that page with the ton of videos and Rip's comments. I now know the back should achieve it's angle in the first 1/3 of the descent, and STAY LIKE THAT until the last 1/3 of the ascent. Makes sense. I will now look down and don't try to keep a huge arch / hyperextended back like that, and push my butt more backwards, this will allow me to keep my knees from going too forward and using my posterior chain, or "hip drive" as Rip mentions endless times in those threads. For some reason I always thought that the more upright stance was prefered, and to achieve this upright back angle your knees inevitable go a bit forwards. I guess that's more like what a front squat should be, right? .. I will practise with the empty bar or little weight soon enough and report back with a video.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:24 PM   #14
Robert Callahan

Profile:

i did not realize that was for a CFT. Form will always suffer at max efforts, i thought it was just a general form critique you wanted either way good stuff to learn

-Robert
Old 08-05-2008, 01:31 PM   #15
Paul Sousa

Profile:

You might want to try having the bar touch your legs during the DL. Watch the Again Faster video to see some great tips. I watched it over and over again before the last CFT that was posted on the main page and with some of their tips I added about 40 pounds to what my 1rm was (275 to 315). It looks like you have the bar on your shins when you set, but when you move to your pull position (in the pic above) I think you put some distance between them and the bar.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:39 PM   #16
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

I gotta confess I am not manly enough to purposely want to scrape my shins with the barbell .... And I don't have any type of slippery padding I could use or anything... I only have an old sweat pant that's long, but it doesn't help much. I can see what you mean though, I was setting myself with the hips low and knees forward, once I begin to pull the butt goes higher and knees a bit backwards so the distance might be increased. I will practise this.

In about two days I will post videos of my squat, I will do them the other way around in the rack so I have more "floor" in front of me, so I can look at a point about 6 feet from me. I might lose the wooden blocks I use to measure depth, I'll try to keep the head down, I will once more try to get rid of the towel, and see how they look like.

By the way, I don't know what "Again Faster" is, but will look it up.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:11 PM   #17
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Hello again fellas!!

These were from today, 07.08.2008.

Back Squats:
!!!WARNING!!!: I'm wearing boxers, but no shorts, in case you're easily offended, so the videos might not be totally WFS?
Warm-up sets: 45x5, 95x5, 115x3, 135x3
Working sets: 155x5, 155x5
160x5 - Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kYXBnh9AY8
160x5 - Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QR3eOfjBP8
165x5 - Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuR_2Sn7_pE
!!!WARNING!!!: I'm wearing boxers, but no shorts, in case you're easily offended, so the videos might not be totally WFS?

I changed a lot of things since the last squat session:

-No more wooden blocks to meassure depth, will just go by feel.
-No more looking up, Mark Rippetoe says to look at a point about 6 feet in front of you in the floor so I tried that.
-No more towel wrapped around the bar, I tried possitioning the bar lower on my back and it seems to work, although I feel it's now resting in my rear deltoids.. I always thought it would fall if I placed it there, but it doesn't, and finally I can squat without feeling my shoulder bones being crushed.
-I tried really hard not to let my knees drift forward at the bottom, but I believe this still needs work. From the video, it looks like I can still lean my torso more forward... or am I wrong? Doesn't it look like the barbell is above my heel, and not the middle of my foot? Or is it just me? .. Leaning more forward would in turn keep the knees back even more, right?

Please give me your thoughts.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:30 PM   #18
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Ahh, I will withhold all snarky comments and laugh to myself. What's more funny than the boxers is the socks. I would not lift in socks period if you're not in shoes unless the floor has got something going on. Unless you're using the socks as extra padding for your feet.

It sounds like you have the low bar squat. Maybe, I think. I really don't know. Did you feel different muscles start working. I really felt it in my hams and glutes on the second phase ( positive ) of the squat.

Arturo, it will probably down where you are, but wear some sweat pants are really long socks. Since you're at home, only your SO will call you Pippy Long Stocking. I keep forgetting to do either. Then again it kinda reminds me of shin bone conditioning from yesteryear.

Form looks pretty good now. Barbell looks above and slightly behind the heel. I'm not sure if this is a characteristic of the LB BS so it hits the posterior chain more.
Old 08-09-2008, 05:46 PM   #19
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

I promise I will wear pants next time, I didn't want to post these videos but I only thought of that when I downloaded them to the computer, by then it was too late to squat again. Hey, at least I had a shirt this time

I wear socks because I sweat a TON.. I mean, after two rounds of the CFWU, not a dry spot on my shirt. By the time I'm done, I'm really sweaty. I sweat my hands and everything... and it runs down my legs and feet, so it gets slippery if I'm barefoot. I could wear my Vibram 5 fingers but I prefer not to, since I have to wash them after every time I run... (they end up soaked in sweat).

Thanks for the comments Blair. The difference I felt in the bar-possition was the soreness the next day, posterior delts felt sore, that had never happened before.. like I said, before it always felt like I was resting it on my shoulder bones, hence the towel I was using.
Old 08-10-2008, 01:41 PM   #20
Paul Sousa

Profile:

I would love to try and rock that outfit to my globogym and see the reactions! Your form is looking better, but is there any way you can set the camera up from behind so we can see how you are holding the bar? Might help in making any possible corrections in that aspect.