CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 08-13-2008, 09:31 AM   #1
Scott Dyck

Profile:
my cleans

Hi guys and gals! This is my first ever video form check, and my first few days of trying full squat cleans (injuries) so you should all have plenty to shred.
I havent' had much physical practice since I've been hurt; I've been reading and watching for months, but I haven't gotten the feel yet. I know I'm slow and loopy with the bar and elbows, and I have a real problem pulling myself under the bar and catching it in a squat instead of about a quarter squat.

All attempts are with 125# total, 90# on a 35#-60" bar (all my gym has.)

I welcome any and all comments! Thanks in advance!

P.S. I've never really jerked before, I threw a couple in there for kicks. That's a whole other mess to fix later.

W/FS
Anyway, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHoq_jmK7S0

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Scott Dyck : 08-13-2008 at 09:35 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 08-13-2008, 10:59 AM   #2
Chris Walls

Profile:
Re: my cleans

Can't see whether or not you're completing the 2nd pull (full shrug and all that...) but the first pull/scoop looks ok.

When you're setting the bar down tho make damn sure you're maintaining posture! It weighs the same going down as going up so no rounding anywhere or anytime. If you can't lower it properly just drop it. (bumper plates required)
Old 08-13-2008, 12:12 PM   #3
Derek Maffett

Profile:

1) Your start position is better at the beginning, but when the camera angle changes, you start to pull from way over the bar. Arms should be about straight down (different from a deadlift).

2) Finish the pull - Full extension, full shrug.

3) The times when you folded over in half (such as the first attempt) were likely due to the bar being too far away (possibly along with lack of full extension). Keep it close to your body. If you look at some of the pictures on Performance Menu, you'll see that a lot of the time, they will have the bar so close that it pulls their shirts up a little.

Work on your ankle flexibility and get some weightlifting shoes. That should help you keep a more vertical torso in the front squat. For ankle flexibility, one stretch is to go to the bottom of the squat and then shift your weight over each foot, getting the knee farther forward without letting your heel leave the ground.

If you're going to control the descent that much, you should keep good form. Eventually, though, the weight would be so heavy that the safest thing to do is to just drop it (thus the need for bumper plates).

Last edited by Derek Maffett : 08-13-2008 at 12:17 PM.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:58 AM   #4
Scott Dyck

Profile:

Thanks, guys! I suspected as much, but its always good to get some objective eyes on.
I really have a hard time with keeping the bar close and pulling myself under it. I haven't yet gotten the feeling that I am "pulling" myself under and not just dropping slowly under it. I know once I understand how to do that right I won't have to try to get the bar up so high to get under it.

And yes, flexibility is one of my worst weaknesses. My ankles are terrible, although I've really improved believe it or not (one of my injuries was ligament tears in my ankle DUE to lack of flexibility,) and I do need to develop more flexibility to stay more vertical in the front squat. Chiro says I'll never be able to get rid of my butt-wink for structural reasons....I'm not saying never.

Thanks again, guys! anything constructive ALWAYS welcome here
Old 08-16-2008, 03:49 PM   #5
Tony Stock

Profile:

I know I will get crucified for saying this but try it without your feet leaving the floor. Lower the weight a bit and i bet you will see good results.

You can easily handle this weight so dont get flustered. You are doing a great job.

Dont let your feet leave the floor and you will have more control.

Feel the bar touching your shirt about mid chest. This will help you with catching it in the right spot and not too forward.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:02 PM   #6
Derek Maffett

Profile:

Tony, why do you say to keep feet on the floor, or rather why do you promote the idea of a receiving stance identical to the pulling? That will be either too narrow for a full squat or too wide for the pull. If you think it's more stable, that might be because you haven't learned to transition your feet properly?

Scott, to really pull yourself under it, you have to be aggressive and the weight has to be heavy. The heavier the weight is, the more you will move under the bar during the third pull, and the more aggressive you are, the faster you will move. This pull under the barbell should manifest itself more as the barbell weight (and your strength) increases.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:23 AM   #7
Tony Stock

Profile:

True, your feet will shift to some degree for the catch but no need to go crazy with the hopping. Dont just stand flat footed but stay in contact to some degree.

This worked great for me to learn and of course I am always learning.

It was less frustrating.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:38 AM   #8
Sharon Miller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Maffett View Post
Tony, why do you say to keep feet on the floor, or rather why do you promote the idea of a receiving stance identical to the pulling?
For what it is worth, I also practice or warmup with light power cleans keeping my feet on the floor. It helps me to be sure I am hitting the full triple extension and not just jumping or pulling too early. I agree you can't transition your feet this way for the full squat catch, but as a warmup it really helps keep my form in check.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:54 PM   #9
Derek Maffett

Profile:

Sharon, keeping your feet planted is a legitimate drill - that's exactly what you do with muscle cleans - but it's an imperfect position to lower into a squat with and will probably mess with your movement patterns if you're not careful (muscle variants don't use a re-bend in the knees, so they shouldn't mess anything up). Remember that you need to coordinate full extension with everything else... it won't work all by itself.

Tony, you should be able to move your foot position without lifting your feet too far from the platform. That's where the stomp comes from - quick foot movement, not a depth drop. It remains, however, that if you purposefully limit your transition to a proper squat stance, you will limit your max lifts for no reason whatsoever. It's only "less frustrating" if you're content lifting sissy loads for the rest of your life. You're lifting to get strong - don't sabotage yourself.

Last edited by Derek Maffett : 08-18-2008 at 02:04 PM.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:03 PM   #10
Tony Stock

Profile:

This is an exceprt from Explosive Lifting for Sport by Harvey Newton.

I am talking about the Pull Under section second paragraph.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f83/crupiea/50.jpg http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f83/crupiea/51.jpg