CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > In Search of CrossFitters
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

In Search of CrossFitters For finding other CrossFitters to CrossFit with

Old 07-21-2008, 10:03 AM   #1
Jim Brikman

Profile:
You provide the garage, I provide the equipment: Cambridge, MA

I'm really interested in putting together a home gym, but my own house is just not suitable for it. The only place I have space is the basement, but the ceilings are way too low. So here is what I'm looking for: someone in the Cambridge, MA area who wants a home gym and has a garage/basement with space for it. You provide the space and I'll provide the equipment.

About me: I'm a 24 year old software engineer, I've been working out for several years but only recently started CF. I am planning on ordering an olympic bar, a bumper plate set, a power cage (with pull-up bar), and bench. I already have rings.

Anyone interested? Anyone done something similar already?
Old 07-27-2008, 10:18 PM   #2
Aaron C Bennett

Profile:
Re: You provide the garage, I provide the equipment: Cambridge, MA

Have you checked with the fraternities and club sports at MIT and/or Harvard?
Old 08-04-2008, 09:43 PM   #3
Kevin Liu

Profile:

I don't have a garage, but if you find one let me know - I'll be in the Cambridge area for a few years starting late August and I'd love to crossfit with someone!
Old 05-05-2009, 09:36 AM   #4
Andy Simmons

Profile:

I see this post is old, but...

No garage here, but I'm another person in the Cambridge/Somerville area (Porter Square) who would be willing to help pay for some equipment if some one wants to outfit their garage.

I'd rather spend the same money on good/appropriate equipment that someone can keep than on membership at Bally's or Planet Fitness (new gym in the area that looks like it's basically a machine factory - sigh).

As others have said, CFB looks great but is too far to be part of my daily routine. There's also a CF room in Revolution Fitness in Back Bay if anyone's looking.

Last edited by Andy Simmons : 05-05-2009 at 09:37 AM. Reason: added info
Old 05-05-2009, 12:09 PM   #5
Sam Ser

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Simmons View Post
I see this post is old, but...

No garage here, but I'm another person in the Cambridge/Somerville area (Porter Square) who would be willing to help pay for some equipment if some one wants to outfit their garage.

I'd rather spend the same money on good/appropriate equipment that someone can keep than on membership at Bally's or Planet Fitness (new gym in the area that looks like it's basically a machine factory - sigh).

As others have said, CFB looks great but is too far to be part of my daily routine. There's also a CF room in Revolution Fitness in Back Bay if anyone's looking.
looks like you and jim and X others in your neighborhood could get some cash together, rent out some space and create your own box...?
Old 05-09-2009, 06:58 PM   #6
Vinny Marcellino

Profile:

I live near the Medford/Somerville line, right by Tufts. I've been slowly turning my garage into a Crossfit gym. Right now I have a nice Oly bar with 260 lbs of bumper plates, 15# bar, 20# wall ball, couple of plyo boxes, rings and a pull up bar. I'm planning on getting more stuff. Anyone in the area that wants to come workout, drop me a line. I just got my lvl 1 cert, I would love to open a box in this area.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:05 PM   #7
Andy Simmons

Profile:

Thanks for posting, Vinny. I'd love to check out your garage and maybe work out there. If it works out, I'd absolutely be willing to help purchase more equipment that you can keep. I'm near near Porter Square and will ping you separately with my info.

I also know a few other folks in the area who crossfit, including the guy who turned me on to it. If you, want I can spread the word and help give you an idea of some of the interest in the area.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:30 PM   #8
Jim Brikman

Profile:

Heh, forgot all about this thread. Vinny, I'll be sending you a PM shortly.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:25 AM   #9
Chris Toomer

Profile:

one more. i'll be living in inman square beginning july '09. hoping to find (a) a CF-friendly facility and / or (b) fellow CFers interested in pooling resources. will be enrolling at harvard, not sure what their student facilities offer (i live in indonesia at the moment), but looks like endless rows of elliptical machines. christoomer1@yahoo.com if anyone's interested.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:40 AM   #10
Jose M. Perez

Profile:

I don't know who the strength coach at Harvard is now, but I did meet one about 15 years ago. He was taking lessons on oly lifting from a friend of mine at MIT because he was interested on introducing oly lifting to his athletes. Email the athletic department and see if Harvard has oly lifting equipment and whether it is available to the general population.