CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-20-2007, 10:09 PM   #1
Tim Luby

Profile:
Curls stronger than ever

Out of curiosity today, I did some curls just to see if there's been any change in how many I could do since I stopped doing them completely a coupla years ago.

Well, turns out I can now do more. This is proof positive that compound exercises sufficiently hit muscles that a lot of people waste time isolating.

Interestingly, since starting Crossfit, my bench (which I still do, but not as much as I used to) has gone down a bit. I'm also close to 10# lighter.

It's amazing how my bench can take such a quick nosedive while the completely neglected curls increased.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:14 PM   #2
Matt Thomas

Profile:
Re: Curls stronger than ever

That happened to me to. I work out with a 50 pound dumbell alot. Especially when I do Ross' "Filthy Fifty" and it almost seems like the simple fact of handleing that weight and getting use to it makes it easier to do curls with it. I never use to be able to pump out curls with 50 pounds, but I can now pretty easy.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:17 PM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Curls stronger than ever

Curls are to be expected because flexion of the elbow joint is similar in almost all exercises like pullups to rows to curls to whatever. Basically a compound movement corresponding to an isolation movement.. if you strengthen the chain then the isolation will be stronger as well. On the other hand, dips vs bench vs overhead pressing is not all the same as all use the pressing chain but are not similar movements. So your results are easily anticipated on a more intuitive level.

In any case, speaking about the bench specifically you could actually have stronger triceps, chest and anterior delts, but you actually maybe have lost neurological strength from doing bench a lot so in reality you're actually stronger but your bench went down. This is most likely the case. If you wanted to experiment and starting grease the groove bench press you'd find that you can probably PR by a lot in a week or two.