CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 11-24-2007, 05:44 PM   #1
Serena Garrett

Profile:
Off-season for a runner

Hi, I have a few months until my mid-winter half marathon to kick off the next season. I know from experience I can do that with minimal running, so I wanted to pursue a more balanced fitness routine in the meantime.

Through searching on the boards and reading up I think I could handle doing the Xfit warmup and maybe a modified version of the beginner's program (Crossfit Journal, May 2003) with dumbbells, which are all I have available to me. I may or may not add a long run to the 5 day program outlined. I'm not sure at this point. Does anyone have any feedback on effectiveness of the beginner's program, on using sprinting workouts as primary training for distance running, on using dumbbells instead of barbells, or anything I'm not thinking of?

Hoping to gain a better strength base and some balance and flexibility for more efficient running next season.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-25-2007, 06:44 PM   #2
Veronica Davis

Profile:
Re: Off-season for a runner

Hey Serena. I see you live in Arlington. I live in DC and work in Arlington. I don't have an answer for your questions, but I just wanted to say Hi.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:41 AM   #3
Aaron Trent

Profile:

My experience only relates up to the 8-10k distance, but last winter I did what you are asking about. I lifted, sprinted, and did other met-con workouts. I ran an 8k on a whim and finished in 33:30 with no distance training. If you have a marathon looming, though I would add in one long run a week about 6 weeks prior to the event.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:57 AM   #4
William Hunter

Profile:

Hey Serena,

I think you can maintain quite well with some sprint based workouts during the week, with one long run added in. Depending on all the other recovery factors like nutrition, sleep and stress, you should decide on how many days off per week to take and tweak your schedule accordingly.

I'm planning on running a half in March of '08, but am unwilling to devote myself to the task by following the typical 5-6 days per week of running. I'm currently putting in a 7-10 miler on the weekend in addition to a squat/DL hybrid WOD on Mon, Track work on Wed, basic CF-type metcon on Fri (often utilizing a C2 rower). I'm by no means a great runner, but I've seen consistent improvement in my long runs. In a former life I would log about 30-35 mi/week, but my body far prefers CF style WO's with a little specialty running thrown in.

DB's are a perfectly suitable sub for BB's, esp for the goals you've outlined.

Be warned: After experimenting with CF for a while you may cross over to the dark side...forevahhh.