CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 08-30-2007, 06:16 PM   #1
Celio Silva

Profile:
Babalu Gone...

...from the UFC.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:53 PM   #2
Peter Queen

Profile:
Re: Babalu Gone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celio Silva View Post
...from the UFC.
Oh come on, I know you're not surprised by that decision are you?
In the other thread, I had hoped for a temporary suspension, but now Babalu is completely gone. I did not expect that but I'm not surprised. Cage fighting really needs to keeps its nose clean now that their momentum and acceptance is really starting to grow all across the world. The general majority still sees the sport as barbaric anyway. If it takes this to set an example, then so be it.

This quote is from Sherdog's forum and it mirrors my sentiment.
"Fighters be warned, Professional fighters wanted, Street thugs need not apply!"
http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showth...hreadid=631267
(Mostly for mature viewers (PG-13)but not too bad)

Last edited by Peter Queen : 08-30-2007 at 06:55 PM. Reason: addittion
Old 08-30-2007, 10:41 PM   #3
Bryan Gollhofer

Profile:

W/F/S Link from Sherdog, via ESPN.com, MMA section. Still hard to believe ESPN has an MMA section! Even though every link goes to Sherdog. Go ESPN?

C ya Babalu. I am sure it was an easy decision for White, Babalu on an un-televised under card, hasn't done well lately, makes a bad move, White gets to make another statement.

I would love to comment specifically on the Babalu fight, but I paid $50 for the Hi-Def fights, had all my friends over to watch the fights and didn't get to see it as it was a fight that we as $50 customers didn't get to see. By the time we see the links on the net, Zuffa has them snuffed out. Oh, unless I want to pay an additional $1.99 on UFC.com to see the under cards that Rogan said we could see for free on UFC.com after the $50 fights were over!

Sorry HAD to rant. I really want to see the Babalu fight so I can answer intelligently, sorry to be UN-intelligent!

! Can you tell I am mad about it?

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=8797
Old 08-31-2007, 05:47 AM   #4
Peter Queen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Gollhofer View Post
I really want to see the Babalu fight so I can answer intelligently, sorry to be UN-intelligent!

! Can you tell I am mad about it?
Bryan: here is a link that shows the actual fight...enjoy.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2u...-heath_extreme
(Not W/F safe..pretty bloody)
Old 08-31-2007, 06:16 AM   #5
George Mounce

Profile:

They took down the video yesterday.

Personally I can handle a lot of blood, but poor sportsmanship, especially when it can be life threatening and purposefully ignoring the rules and ref - call me antiquated, but that I just can't handle.

I support White's decision 100% to kick him out. I guarantee there were a lot of people in Dana's ear about getting rid of the guy after he did that.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:24 AM   #6
Becca Borawski

Profile:

People have done very unsportsman like things before in the UFC without having their contracts dropped. To me, this stinks of the whole t-shirt fiasco that Zuffa used as an excuse to dump Lindland. They were looking to ditch Babalu most likely and this made for some nice PR.

www.crossfitla.com -- www.modernathena.com -- www.nerdjockprincess.com
Old 08-31-2007, 01:06 PM   #7
Celio Silva

Profile:

Everyone of you have a good point. This is a complicated issue.

The news shocked me but didn't surprised me. The way I see it, it was simply a BUSINNESS decision! Babalu is a fan-favorite, but have gone up the ladder already and got dismantled by Chuck. He is not an ascending star, so it's not a difficult cut for White to make.

The fight, and the fighter in question, provided the perfect scenario for White to make a statement. Babalu does not hold the same value to the UFC that he once held. Then, in the fight, he undeniably refused to heed the instruction of Mazzagatti and held on to a choke on a guy literally covered in blood until he passed out. It looked very bad and it was/is indeed VERY BAD PRESS for the sport!!!

Like Becca pointed out, inumerous fighters have displayed unsportsmanship in the cage before. From what I hear, just not too long ago BJ Penn held on to choking Pulver for just as long (unfortunately i did not see that fight), but Pulver wasn't covered in blood and BJ Penn is one of the UFC's biggest stars, on his way to a very profitable tile match and possible champ reign.

So Babalu just happens to be the one made a example out of it due to the circunstances surrounding his bad judgement. That's unfortunate for him and fans alike, considering his talent and fighting style.

Dana is simply capitalizing in a VERY dramatic moment in the sport to make a very dramatic statement, aiming at further strenghtening the sport's legitimacy without leaving any questions & concerns about its safety & professionalism. It's understandable.

My initial crying icon was simply a reaction to the loss of one of the best fighters in the sport, who is also my countryman. But from the beggining I have thought that the decision is justifiable, however unfortunate it is.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:24 PM   #8
Peter Queen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celio Silva View Post
My initial crying icon was simply a reaction to the loss of one of the best fighters in the sport, who is also my countryman. But from the beggining I have thought that the decision is justifiable, however unfortunate it is.

OK, point taken. I did find your crying icon pretty funny though. I actually forgot to add a smiley face after my initial comment. But like you said, the incident was unfortunate none the less.