CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 06-27-2007, 08:43 AM   #1
Lou Peters

Profile:
Today, I did thewarm up and 3 rounds of thrusters with 45lb bar,only did 12 reps of each. I also did 3 rounds of 12 weight asst pullups. Is this a pitfull start?

Lou
Old 06-27-2007, 09:05 AM   #2
Josh E Lundgaard

Profile:
Lou,
No start is pitiful. What would be pitiful would be to give up, or not start at all.
My first WOD was one of the girls, "Cindy". I used a gravitron set at 50% of BW to assist with the pull ups and still only did 9 rounds in 20 minutes. 10 months later, I do Cindy unassisted at 21 rounds.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:15 AM   #3
Tom Fetter

Profile:
What Josh said.

There are various threads around on starting strategies - different folks choose different things. Different scaling strategies, opinions on developing strength first, etc.

Really, it comes down to what your goals are. But any start is a good start - and one of the benefits of doing the WOD or some scaled version of it is the community here keeping you on track.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:19 AM   #4
Steven L Blondeau

Profile:
Pitiful is in the eye of the beholder. The implication of your question is that YOU think it is pitiful. I don't think it's pitiful because you had the chutzpah to try. One suggestion? Remove the word "only" from your workout vocabulary. It's a modifier used to justify the work you do in comparison to others. It allows you to diminish your efforts. Rather than say "I only did..." just say " I did..." The words we use determine the mental map we project onto the world. Using limiting words does exactly that-limits you. Start where you are and grow from there. Stick with it.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:45 AM   #5
Tirzah Harper

Profile:
What I would say is...no, no it's not pitiful at all.
Think of how far you're going to go and how much progress you can make!
I did 15-12-9 reps of 45 lb thrusters and jumping pullups. And I've been doing this for a month and a half. Do I suck? Yeah. Am I excited about the near-inifite potential I see ahead of me as I keep doing this for (knock on wood) years to come? Hell yeah!
Pitiful would be to say, 'Oh man, I suck, I quit.' Anything that gets you back out kicking your own @ss tomorrow morning is NOT pitiful.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:52 AM   #6
Josh E Lundgaard

Profile:
SUCH a good point, Steven. saying "I only..." intimates that either 1)you didn't push as hard as you could have, or 2) you are somehow ashamed of the fact that you are trying to better yourself, neither of which should have a place here.
I'm putting that one on my wall!
Old 06-27-2007, 10:22 AM   #7
Brian Yoak

Profile:
Definitely NOT a pitifull start. You have chosen to begin a journey that will transform your body. You will be amazed at what you are going to accomplish if you stick with the CF program.
Keep after it.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:11 PM   #8
Simon Bowley

Profile:
Lou,

Great start! I only began this journey recently and you improve quickly. Don't worry about the scaling and whether you're lifting/completing the WOD fully at the beginning - as long as you're feeling stronger/fitter you're well on the road!

Congrats!
Old 06-27-2007, 01:45 PM   #9
Gant Grimes

Profile:

The most significant weight you can lift is your off the couch for your first CF workout. You did that and made a fine showing to boot. Welcome!
Old 06-27-2007, 01:48 PM   #10
Tom Ellison

Profile:
"Starting Crossfit" and "pitiful" are mutually exclusive terms that shouldn't appear in the same sentence. Just think about all the people who don't even have the guts to try.

The important thing is to keep at it, do it consistently, try to get a little better each time, and before you know it you'll be knocking out 5 minute Frans as RX'd.

And congrats on your first WOD. Happy Crossfitting!