CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-20-2007, 12:30 AM   #1
Travis Layman

Profile:
I am new to crossfit and the olympic lifts so I don't have a bar or bumpers. I have read most of the related information in the Garage Gym Shopping List and some of the discussions, but due to amount of information my head is spinning. Also, I need to watch the budget. Hopefully through this discussion I can gain some advice and clarity on what bar and bumpers I should look at purchasing and where.

Thanks for your help!
Old 01-20-2007, 02:59 AM   #2
Vincent Tam

Profile:
i'd say that most people would suggest getting the crossfit bar from glenn pendlay. his website is on the bottom right of the crossfit main page, in the section which has links for equipment. however, i'm also not sure about solid rubber bumper plates yet. York and Bigger Faster Stronger looks good to me so far tho.
Old 01-20-2007, 03:03 AM   #3
Dan Ensing

Profile:
Travis,

I just purchased a CrossFit set from Glenn Pendlay, which included a bar and bumper plates for $499.00 dollars. About a year ago I bought two 45 lb. bumpers and lifted with those on regular powerlifting bar. Not great, but it worked. Well, I needed to move up and found Glenn's site and read the posts about his products. Everthing seemed great. I can't wait to get my set in to start lifting. More info can be found here http://wfwclub.com/ (w/h/f safe).

Dan
Old 01-20-2007, 06:34 AM   #4
Jon Gilson

Profile:
Travis,

If you'd like a quote on a set of bumpers and an Oly Bar from the Gill Athletics PowerMax line, just shoot me an email: jon@againfaster.com. We've got a bunch of different Bars to choose from.

Again Faster is now carrying the entire Gill line. Check out the new page, where you can browse the entire Gill catalog and see some of the more Crossfit-centric items, including the new PowerMax Rings: http://www.againfastergill.blogspot.com

Best,

Jon
Old 01-20-2007, 03:44 PM   #5
John McEneany

Profile:
York traing bar from Alison Froreman, and bumper plates from Hi-Temp. The bar is awesome as are the bumpers.
Old 01-20-2007, 04:53 PM   #6
Travis Layman

Profile:
Thanks for the information.

After what I have read and your responses it seems I should be focusing on either the Pendlay Crossfit or Economy? bar and bumpers or a York bar (which one?-is the training bar comparable to the crossfit? or economy?) and bumpers from Hi-Temp.

Does anyone know enough about these that they can provide a brief comparison of the bars and bumpers?

Did I see that Hi-Temp's website is down?

I really missed having a bar and bumpers for today's wod. I had to substitute with dumbbells.

Also, it seems I also need to be thinking about a squat rack, correct?

Old 01-20-2007, 05:50 PM   #7
Travis Layman

Profile:
I didn't mean squat rack. Also, it seems I also need to be thinking about squat stands.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:37 PM   #8
Ahmik Jones

Profile:
The best squat stands that I have used are the Promaxima ones.

They cost $135, shipping was $65 to California from Texas, so it would probably be similar to Virginia. If you do end up getting a decent bar, it is worth it to buy stands like these to protect the knurling.

I wrote a review of them here: http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/35076.html (Work Family Safe) and they are available here: http://promaximamfg.com/index.cfm/act/Catalog.cfm/catalogid/583/description/fw-7 /browse/null/MenuGroup/Home/desc/FW-7%20Adjustable%20Squat%20Stand.htm (work Family Safe)

For a little less you can get the TDS Squat Stands http://www.newyorkbarbells.tv/93132.html (Work Family Safe) but they are a little less sturdy and do not have plastic to protect your bars.