CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 08-22-2003, 11:40 AM   #1
mark a. blakemore

Profile:

Hi everyone, can someone shed some light on a few pieces of equipment? What does it take to make the parallettes and medicine ball? I've seen some who make reference to them both and was wondering what it took to make them.

I stumbled onto this site recently and have been following the WOD's for one week and feel like a heroin addict. I absolutely can't get enough of this. Thanks.

Old 08-22-2003, 01:57 PM   #2
David Heyer

Profile:
Mark,
The medicine ball is easy to make.
Materials: RUBBER basketball (not leather)
50lbs. bag of Play Sand
Duct tape
Funnel of some sort
Directions: Cut a 3-4 inch slit in the basketball and fill with damp sand. Put about 20lbs. of sand in the ball. Apply copious amounts of Duct tape.
Note: This ball will serve you well for many years to come, but treat it with respect. Any throws of great distance will likely bust the duct tape. If this happens, apply more tape.

Parallettes: Rather than me explain it, I'll look for a web site with directions/pictures for you. I'll get back to you later.
Dave
Old 08-22-2003, 07:41 PM   #3
David Heyer

Profile:
Mark,
Here is the parallette site (bottom of the page) www.drillsandskills.com/skills/cond
Dave
Old 08-23-2003, 07:03 PM   #4
David Wood

Profile:

Dave:

I just wanted to mention how much I appreciated all your posts on homemade "toys". I followed your instructions on the medicine ball to the letter, and for $4 (instead of $95) I now have the nastiest 20-lb ball I ever met. (Now all I need is the conditioning to do more than 40 seconds of wall-ball.)

The only comment I would add to the parallettes is that, instead of the endcaps on the ground-level crosspieces, I used 4 elbows and two more long pieces (lying flat on the ground) to connect the two crosspieces to each other. The whole thing ends up having a large rectangle that lies on the ground as the base (the two crosspieces, plus two "outriggers" that connect them). The result is more stable, and doesn't even have to be glued.

Dave Wood
Old 08-24-2003, 05:38 AM   #5
David Heyer

Profile:
Dave,
Try the 75lbs. waterball. I filled an oval-shaped therapeautic ball with water. This took about an hour +. You could also use one of those big toy balls at Walmart for $2.50. Just make sure it has the long plug in it. Pull the plug out with a pliers, shove in a funnel, start dripping water in it. Plug it when you've had enough. Kind of like the Chinese water torture.
You won't regret the time spent.

As far as workouts go, it is unbelievable how difficult it is to control as it moves around while you exercise with it. Just don't throw it, I'm afraid it will rupture, leaving 9+ gallons of water everywhere.

I'm also planning on getting a toy ball and stuffing it with heavybag stuffing, making one big medicine ball. I'll let you know how it goes.
Dave
Old 08-24-2003, 08:26 PM   #6
Kelly Moore

Profile:
David,
What do you do with a waterball?

I have to tell you I think your personal quote is great. Sounds tailor made for crossfit!
Old 06-17-2010, 05:14 PM   #7
Jordan Inman

Profile:
Re: Homemade equipment

Medicine ball... No Tape, No Glue
BLUF: Just need to punch the valve into a b-ball, fill with sand and use the plug from an exercise ball to plug it.

Need:
Cheap Basketball
Screw Driver
Funnel(s); I used one with a small stem, and larger one to load it
Sand
Plug from Exercise Ball

Punch the valve into the ball with the screw driver. Use the funnel(s) to get the desired amount of sand into the very small hole (This goes slow, I propped the funnels up so I didn't have to hold them for 20 mins). Once you get enough sand in, just shove the exercise ball plug into the ball. Slam it, do whatever... it holds.

I expected to have to use tape or glue. I kept thinking the next slam would send the plug flying, but it never has. My 20 lb. ball is 9 months old and has been thru many WODs. Buddies have used and abused it. One buddy made his own, and proved it reproducible.

Hope many find this helpful. I'd love to give a little back to the CF community.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:20 PM   #8
Peter Janssen

Profile:
Re: Homemade equipment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Inman View Post
Medicine ball... No Tape, No Glue
BLUF: Just need to punch the valve into a b-ball, fill with sand and use the plug from an exercise ball to plug it.

Need:
Cheap Basketball
Screw Driver
Funnel(s); I used one with a small stem, and larger one to load it
Sand
Plug from Exercise Ball

Punch the valve into the ball with the screw driver. Use the funnel(s) to get the desired amount of sand into the very small hole (This goes slow, I propped the funnels up so I didn't have to hold them for 20 mins). Once you get enough sand in, just shove the exercise ball plug into the ball. Slam it, do whatever... it holds.

I expected to have to use tape or glue. I kept thinking the next slam would send the plug flying, but it never has. My 20 lb. ball is 9 months old and has been thru many WODs. Buddies have used and abused it. One buddy made his own, and proved it reproducible.

Hope many find this helpful. I'd love to give a little back to the CF community.
This worked like a charm. I pulled the air-valve out of the B-ball and took a funnel and just held it over the hole (didn't put the funnel into the ball). I was able to fill the standard B-ball with 20lbs of sand. I've used sand that's used in bird cages. It's partially made of grinded shells. I had a spare plug for my balance ball, so I've used that. Thx for the great idea.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:43 PM   #9
Austin Benson

Profile:
Re: Homemad equipment

When I made my medicine ball, I made a small hole in the basketball and used a funnel. Then when I was done, I just put a tire patch on there and it worked fine. Tried to use a tire plug, but the hole was too big. The key thing is to let the sand dry out. If not, it will just pack in at the bottom of the funnel and not go through. That'll make for a really long day.

I also made a dip belt out of a tool bag strap I wasn't using, a little chain and a couple carabiners. Eventhough you can buy a dip belt pretty cheap ($15 bucks at Academy) every little bit of savings helps out.

Hope this helps.