CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-08-2011, 01:40 PM   #11
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Plateauing....

You're unable to bench bodyweight. A few extra pounds should be the last thing you're worrying about.

And no, those pounds won't significantly decrease your ability to do pullups provided that there are strength gains accompanying your weight gains.

How many pullups can you do? Unless the answer is 30+ dead hangs, you're probably being limited by strength, not by your weight.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:57 PM   #12
Damon Stewart

Profile:

I've been Crossfitting about the same amount of time. IMHO most people don't make much in the way of gains in CF after their 1st or 2nd years because they've maxed their anaerobic adaptation and are attempting to raise that anaerobic peak higher without changing the fundamentals beneath it. Most of what they consider gains past that point are strength or skill.

Here's what I do: 1st, I gain 5-7lbs every summer by going on heavy lifting cycle. Usually I'll be up as high as 10lbs and then come back down. When I started Crossfit I was somewhere in the low 150's, now I'm at 177 and headed up to 185 later this summer. Every time I do this my squat, dl, press, and O-lifts have increased correspondingly. I felt like when I was finally able to front squat 315 that all the thruster weights typically used in CF became easy.

2nd, there's something to be said for having an aerobic base. (Heresy, I know.) Your anaerobic capacity is in some ways a derivative of your aerobic base and it's much easier to increase the top when the base of the pyramid gets bigger.

3rd, you get better at what you practice. I squat 2-3x week, train Oly at least 1x/week and depending on the cycle up to 3-4x, and I do gymnastics practice before every workout.

Regarding food I'd just eat as much clean food as you can. I'm like the converse of the Okinawan 80% rule: I always eat until I'm 120% full but what I eat is pretty much strict Paleo.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:38 PM   #13
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Eichmann View Post
Thanks.

Katherine, what do you recommend? I do probably consume more than what my BMR states but wouldn't eating more be counterproductive? Eating more would probably equate to weighing more which would make pull-ups, for example, more challenging.
There are degrees of eating more. If you're sliding backward, there's a good chance you're not eating enough to support adequate recovery. You would have to eat even more than that to actually build muscle, and still *more* to have "excessive" weight gain.

Katherine
Old 06-09-2011, 06:31 AM   #14
Patrick Eichmann

Profile:

Does anyone have any recommendations for building up my pull up threshod or over all strength? I've done the 5x5 stuff before but wondering if there's any other approaches I should be considering.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:42 AM   #15
Michael Dowling

Profile:

just bench more, eat more food too.

seriously though, i know when i did CF WOD's it was just metcon, metcon, amrap, 20-30 minute brutal conditioning and very little strength, we NEVER benched ever. in a few months my bench went from 245 to about 190 in a blink of an eye.

the only thing that surprises me about your issue is that pull ups suffered, mine got much better as i dropped body fat.

Last edited by Michael Dowling : 06-09-2011 at 06:44 AM.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:13 AM   #16
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Does anyone have any recommendations for building up my pull up threshod or over all strength? I've done the 5x5 stuff before but wondering if there's any other approaches I should be considering.
I just told you before to look at a strength-focused program if you want to get stronger--like 70s Big, CFFB, or GSLP. There's no magic tricks needed to get your bench above bodyweight, you just have to do more lifting, more eating, and less endurance stuff if you want to get stronger in a reasonable amount of time.

As for pullups, doing something like frequency method would help. You say your max set of pullups is currently 9, so do 4-5 sets of 4 pullups spread throughout the day. After a few weeks, try a max set and see where you are. If you do 12 at that point, increase your 4-5 sets to 6 reps each. And so on. You can do the same thing on pushups.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:46 PM   #17
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

We need more info:

height
and current lifts

Eating small amounts of protein will make you weaker. I'm going to guess already you are too lite based on the running and lack of strength.

Every time I hear a guy say they eat 2300 calories maybe, I wonder how they get out of bed in the morning. Doing CrossFit, lifting heavy I need like 4300 a day minimum or I start to loose weight. I have to force myself to eat. Only high body fat new people can lose weight and gain strength at the same time.

For people like you I like Zone to insure you eat enough. Keeps the eating clean and forces you to eat enough or at least know you didn't. Forget the never eat more then 5 blocks at once. Set yourself up at 5 x 6 block meal plan a day for a couple of weeks. Do strict barbell training; squat, bench, press, dead lift and power cleans. Get enough sleep. Easy on the running. I expect you will start to reverse the strength lose.

Last edited by Brendan McNamar : 06-09-2011 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Can't spell
Old 06-09-2011, 03:40 PM   #18
David Hansen

Profile:

Quote:
I do probably consume more than what my BMR states but wouldn't eating more be counterproductive? Eating more would probably equate to weighing more which would make pull-ups, for example, more challenging.
I smell troll.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:01 PM   #19
Larry Hotchkiss

Profile:

Quote:
I do probably consume more than what my BMR states but wouldn't eating more be counterproductive?
BMR is the amount of calories needed to support life if you laid in bed all day. If thats not what you are doing than you need to eat more, plain and simple.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:39 PM   #20
Terry Gibbs

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hansen View Post
I smell troll.
was wondering how anyone can possible have been doing this (weights, crossfit, general fitness, health )for 7 years and be in his position...