CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-28-2011, 08:23 AM   #11
Colin McLafferty

Profile:
Re: Crossfit gym under $1000?? Yep I think so

Dusty, awesome job! Seriously, this is very inspiring. I hope to build my own gym once I get settled. I recently did some DIY Crossfit stuff for the first time and it was sort of liberating not having to spend big bucks.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:39 AM   #12
Jeff Stanek

Profile:

Lots of great gear in there, but I feel like I need to go get a tetanus shot just looking at some of that stuff. I think you should retire the brown barbell!
Old 01-28-2011, 09:25 AM   #13
Dusty Bratton

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McLafferty View Post
Dusty, awesome job! Seriously, this is very inspiring. I hope to build my own gym once I get settled. I recently did some DIY Crossfit stuff for the first time and it was sort of liberating not having to spend big bucks.
Good luck as you build your own home gym. I've found it best to space things out and just add to it piece by piece. I've been putting mine together for around 9 months now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Stanek View Post
Lots of great gear in there, but I feel like I need to go get a tetanus shot just looking at some of that stuff. I think you should retire the brown barbell!
Yeah the bar is from the set that was kept outside so its in rough shape. Unfortunately I still need it so I have 3 bars for when I do Linda. I've told myself when I reach a 315+lb C & J and a 500+lb deadlift that I'm going to purchase a nice bar from Rogue. Although I might still keep around the old bar to remind me of my gym's humble start and also that CrossFit doesn't have to be pretty to be effective!
Old 01-28-2011, 10:49 AM   #14
Jeremy Galo

Profile:

Looks great! If you DO want to make it a little prettier though, I recommend getting some Appliance Epoxy paint for the weight benches and GHD. For the rusty weights, I've used truck bedliner spray paint and that makes it look absolutely fantastic. Just dip the weights in vinegar for a few hours to clean them up a bit, take steel wool over the big rusty spots, dry them up, then spray away. It makes a WORLD of difference.

For the rusty barbell... do the same thing with the vinegar if you can find a tub big enough. Then take a wire brush and go to town on it.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:05 PM   #15
Aaron C Bennett

Profile:

Coca-Cola also works to remove rust (or diluted Phosphoric acid, if you can find it). I have a bar like that that I restored. It was rusted so I couldn't turn the sleeves (even locking it in a vice and turning it). I sprayed it with PB Blaster and let it sit over night. Then I dropped it a few time on concrete and gradually worked the sleeves to actually turn. I was then able to take it apart and soak the parts. The sleeves just went into the bucket of Coke (phosphoric acid). The bar got liberally coated with a liberal reapplication numerous times (I imagine putting in a PVC pipe would allow you to cover it completely with the liquid). After waiting a few days, I washed them off and wire brushed it. The rust came right off. Because the surface was scarred from the rust, I chose to paint mine using Rustoleum metal paint. I then lubricated it and put it back together. It gets a lot of use and is now my number one beater bar.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:22 PM   #16
Jeremy Maddox

Profile:

wish i had that much height available...nice setup.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:46 PM   #17
Brian Carver

Profile:

I remember posting about that GHD. Glad someone jumped on it--it looked like a great deal!