CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-10-2010, 07:36 AM   #1
Michael Hopkins

Profile:
Diet and Supplement Evaluation

I've been thinking about starting to use creatine as a pre-WOD (and post-wod on days that include a metcon, which is most) supplement, but I wanted to see what other CF'ers thought about it. Right now, I weight 205#. I'm 6'2" and about 13% body fat. My goal is consistent wif CF methodology; stronger, faster, etc..., but lean out to about 9% bf. I wouldn't mind dropping to 198#, but I feel gaunt any lower.

Right now, I eat pretty clean. Here is an example of a regular training day. I'm zoning in case you couldn't tell (18 blocks):

Breakfast, 0730: 2 eggs, 1oz protein, avocado 1 cup milk, coffee. (4P, 1C, 12F)
Pre-WOD, 0458: 1 serving creatine (4C, 0P, 0F)
WOD: 0930 - 1045
Post-WOD 1100: 1 serving creatine and protein, (4C, 4P, 0F)
Lunch: Turkey and cheese "sandwich" (4P, 2C, 6F)
Snack: apple with cheese and peanut butter (1P, 1C, 4F)
Dinner: mixed green salad. chicken, orange, sunflower seeds, green tea (4P, 2C, 4F)
Pre-bed snack: cottage cheese, pineapple, walnuts (1P, 1C, 1F)

If you're going to comment on the "Paleo is better" thing, go ahead. I get it. But I'm married to a non-crossfitter who eats healthy, but not zone or paleo. Also, I can't afford delicious, grass-fed beef and what not. If you would like to comment on how to make paleo cheaper, I'm all ears. Thanks for all your help. And since this is my first post ever, please let me know if I was supposed to give a lot more information or whatever.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:45 AM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Diet and Supplement Evaluation

I'm roughly your size (slightly shorter but slightly heavier) and I know I would get too lean and start dragging on workouts in a hurry with that kind of food intake. You'll have a hard time getting stronger and faster eating that little, and focusing on body composition-related goals is often at odds with focusing on performance goals.

Creatine seems to work for some people and doesn't for others, but it's generally regarded as effective. Give it a try and see what it does for you.

There's really no need to eat 7 times a day--the conventional wisdom about needing to eat every 3 hours to keep your metabolism up has been proven false by several studies. Personally I think it's a lot less hassle to eat 3 big meals a day.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:54 AM   #3
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Ok, but what's the problem you are looking for a solutin for? If you want to lose 7lbs, eat a lil' less.

Regards creatine, the best option is to try it. Plenty of threads and comments already on the board about it. Seems to work, hard to lose weight on it, in my experience. Try it for a month.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:01 AM   #4
Rene Forestier

Profile:

There's no need for creatine pre-workout and post-workout...its not an ergogenic. One just needs to take 5g/day...timing doesn't really matter.

...having said that, there is some evidence that taking larger doses before bed can stimulate hgh.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:13 AM   #5
Michael Hopkins

Profile:

Yeah. I guess that makes sense. I have been 200 pounds for the last seven or eight years. It was when I started crossfit that I put on six pounds in as many months. It sure would be nice to not measure and weigh everything. My creatine is high-carb, which is what stimulated my original post. I'm currently in a westside barbell strength cycle, so I'm interested to see what the addition of creatine might do. Like you said, we'll give it a try. I've seen your posts, Eric, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't hoping to hear from you. And thanks everyone for your replies. There sure is a lot to all this stuff.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:37 AM   #6
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Westside and 18 block Zone mix about as well as me and hipsters. I suggest you eat more good food (in Zone-ish ratios if you want) and try creatine to see if it gives you a boost, but don't think that it'll make up for a caloric intake that's too low. Quality and quantity of food are more important for results than any (legal) supplement. You can still reduce your bodyfat percentage by adding lean mass rather than by losing weight...I think that should be your goal given the program you're on.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:40 AM   #7
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hopkins View Post
If you would like to comment on how to make paleo cheaper, I'm all ears.
Michael, I wrote this post which might give you ideas:
http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=61709 (wfs)
Old 12-10-2010, 10:11 AM   #8
Steven Low

Profile:

More eggs,

Something... better... for lunch

More protein and fats in general..
Old 12-10-2010, 12:04 PM   #9
Michael Hopkins

Profile:

Wow. Thanks everyone. I'm not the kind of guy to post nutrition and wod logs, but I'll probably update on how everything is going for a while. You've given me a lot to think about, and even more to eat! I'm pretty excited to start eating more, in fact, I'm starting right now! Maybe a tabata row later...

Thanks, Steve, for that VERY helpful article.